Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #2566
Karnivour
Karnivour began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PW3
Ooops, I really put the uninstall file with the install file into the mrpackages folder ... works like a charm now. Stupid me. Thank you
Karnivour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #2567
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnivour View Post
Ooops, I really put the uninstall file with the install file into the mrpackages folder ... works like a charm now. Stupid me. Thank you
It has happened before.
People will sometimes (often unintentionally) put everything that was in the release archive into /mrpackages at the same time.

Once upon a time, that was 'safe' to do, the install .bin and the uninstall .bin where in different release archives.
But then the install and the uninstall archives would get separated and the user did not know what two things where a pair.

Now releases are always paired together in the same archive.
All it takes is an occasional:

I suppose we could modify MrPI to always run any 'uninstall' packages it finds before running any 'install' packages. (the first would fail, the second would succeed)
But then I suppose we would get reports of: "I can't make it go away".

Last edited by knc1; 08-07-2017 at 02:17 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #2568
Ramiroquai
Ramiroquai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi guys: The screensaver works fine, but only in random mode, but I want only 1 screensaver. How I can make to set only one specific screensaver?? Many thanks and sorry for my English.

Cheers!
Ramiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #2569
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiroquai View Post
Hi guys: The screensaver works fine, but only in random mode, but I want only 1 screensaver. How I can make to set only one specific screensaver?? Many thanks and sorry for my English.

Cheers!
Only in random mode?
Have you tried reading the directions? Perhaps find someone that can translate them for you.

Are you using the KUAL menu to change the ss settings or are you directly editing the config file?
Have you installed Python?
What model? (please use our nickname for it)
What firmware version?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #2570
Karnivour

One more question The screensaver hack does not directly work on Kfx files from the amazon online shop, does it?
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #2571
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnivour View Post
One more question The screensaver hack does not directly work on Kfx files from the amazon online shop, does it?
Try this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2516
Old 08-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #2572
therourke
therourke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I have to reinstall the screensaver hack on a semi-regular basis. I also have backdoorlock installed to stop updates, but after a few weeks of use the screensavers just stop working and goes back to the normal Amazon images. I then have to upload the hack again and reinstall through KUAL.

Any idea why this might be happening?

I have a Paperwhite 2 on kindle 5.8.10
therourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #2573
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by therourke View Post
I have to reinstall the screensaver hack on a semi-regular basis. I also have backdoorlock installed to stop updates, but after a few weeks of use the screensavers just stop working and goes back to the normal Amazon images. I then have to upload the hack again and reinstall through KUAL.

Any idea why this might be happening?

I have a Paperwhite 2 on kindle 5.8.10
Because the system keeps updating?

The 'backdoor lock' does not work, has not worked for several years.

Currently, you can't get an update, 5.8.10 is as new as it gets.

Go to the current jail break thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
Scroll down to Step #7 -
Install the 'blocker directory' describe there.

Then re-install anything that seems to be broke.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #2574
therourke
therourke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The 'backdoor lock' does not work, has not worked for several years.

Currently, you can't get an update, 5.8.10 is as new as it gets.

Go to the current jail break thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
Scroll down to Step #7 -
Install the 'blocker directory' describe there.

Then re-install anything that seems to be broke.
Thanks so much. That's probably the reason :-) Will try and keep fingers crossed.
therourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #2575
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by therourke View Post
Thanks so much. That's probably the reason :-) Will try and keep fingers crossed.
I am sitting here, working on some new scripting for people who have to use the serial port jail break.

I think I will just let the script install the blocker directory name.
The user can delete it if they don't want it.

I am also considering adding support for a:
/MyPackages
directory in visible USB storage.
Keep a copy of everything in that directory which you installed, then let the "update bridge" code re-install it all when it is re-installing the jailbreak.

That might take a rather long time, so some sort of animation to show the device is still running. . . .
Maybe have the tree slowly fall over and crush that guy reading a book for the past ten years.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 AM   #2576
Karnivour

Quote:
Hey knc1,

thank you for that link! Worked like a charm. All books from the store do now have a cover. Thank you so much
Old 08-26-2017, 01:13 AM   #2577
saltybooks
saltybooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 7
SO CLOSE

Hi there,

I've successfully jailbroken my Kindle Paperwhite (gen 7) and installed the screensaver extension. I cannot for the life of me get a custom SS to work..... I've tried many different sizes and resolutions of png files. Any ideas?
saltybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #2578
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybooks View Post
Hi there,

I've successfully jailbroken my Kindle Paperwhite (gen 7) and installed the screensaver extension. I cannot for the life of me get a custom SS to work..... I've tried many different sizes and resolutions of png files. Any ideas?
1) You have not installed Python yet.
2) You should be getting your packages from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
3) You probably have not read all of the directions, thinking that it would be easier if you had us read them to you.
4) "many different size and resolutions" will not work, they must be a specific match for your device. You can find those details posted here (and probably in the directions).

Last edited by knc1; 08-26-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #2579
saltybooks
saltybooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 7
nevermind.

I DID install python, the right version for my kindle. I tried many png files, of the resolution recc'd by the forum and by the resolution of what amazon stated. I have the KUAL working well, as well as the extension, it can run cover and last page mode but not any custom ones. Thanks for the condescension.
saltybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #2580
normanr
normanr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I am also considering adding support for a:
/MyPackages
directory in visible USB storage.
Keep a copy of everything in that directory which you installed, then let the "update bridge" code re-install it all when it is re-installing the jailbreak.

That might take a rather long time, so some sort of animation to show the device is still running. . . .
Maybe have the tree slowly fall over and crush that guy reading a book for the past ten years.
I was thinking about this the other day, so to this idea.

Related question: Is there a 'package manger' for kindle that would be able to checks for updates, and download & install the new packages? If so this might be a good place to plumb in a re-install option for already installed packages. In my ideal world this 'package manager' would read it's meta-data from the first post in a forum thread (eg: this thread, or NiLuJe's snapshot's thread), detect updates (attachments or links to downloads) and offer to download and install them.
normanr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch