Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Renata123
Renata123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader PRS-T1
Sony Reader

I have Sony Reader PRS-T1. I love to read in Russian and sometimes I can't read books that I downloaded as there are just question marks instead of letters. Cover page usually is fine. Is anyone knows what to do? I tried Calibre, but wouldn't help. Can read in Calibre, but when it goes into book question marks again.
Thank you
Renata123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The default font on the PRS-T1 does not have cyrillic. You need to add a font to the ePUB.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Renata123

Thank you, but I don't understand why I can read some russian e-books if it hasn't cyrillic?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Some e-pubs come with the font embedded in the file... if the font is not embedded then the device uses the default font which is not Cyrillic so the books you CAN readmust have the font embedded in the epub.... there maybe a way to make the default font cyrillic but I am not familiar with that process maybe someone else can advise....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Renata123

Thank you,
I'll download Cyrillic into my Sony reader and I hope it will solve this problem.
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You could also just use the standard PRST1 feature, Menu - Font - Selected Font Type and pick one of the 6 fonts which isn't 'Original'. The 3 serif fonts (Amasis, Palatino, ReallyNo2) all support cyrillic.

It's quite likely that the other 3 sans-serif fonts (Frutiger, Universal, Verdana) do as well, but I can't test as I've customised my T1 and replaced the 3 sans-serif fonts on the menu.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
The fonts provided with the T1are all western/latin the fonts DO indeed come also in cyrillic but they are not provided with the T1in that form
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I am not a Russian speaker or reader so at the risk of embarassing myself...
this is a photo of what I believed to be cyrillic using the standard Amasis font on my T1 (namely res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf). Have I got it wrong, if so I apologise for my ignorance?

(By the way, the text is just some I copy/pasted from an internet page so I really hope there is nothing offensive there )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1Amasis.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	93780  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
Renata123

Thank you to all of you who replied. I don't have a problem anymore. IT friend came over and I think he downloaded some plugins on my computer after reading something on the internet and then my question marks became russian (cyrillic) letters and I am really happy now. Before that I was trying to change font on my Sony Reader, but it wouldn't help. Anyway, It is fine now. Thank all of you. I have to ask what he did, maybe will be able to help someone else.