Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
unifaerie
Enthusiast
unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kindle4, Nexus 7 Tablet
Kobo download address

Is there any way to determine the Kobo download address so that I can attempt to determine why the update download is failing?

Maybe a crazy question lol
unifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=134
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
unifaerie
Enthusiast
unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you : )

I obviously did not check the older posts well enough
Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Ok, so assuming that file comes down properly then what?

(I'd really like to see if this fixes my sleep of death issues.)

Tony
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Copy the file to your Vox, turn it off, then turn it back on. The system should tell you that it is updating.

unifaerie: you may be able to copy the file onto an SD card, insert it into your Vox, turn your Vox off, turn your Vox on, and hope the update screen comes up. If it works, please let us know.
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
unifaerie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
unifaerie: you may be able to copy the file onto an SD card, insert it into your Vox, turn your Vox off, turn your Vox on, and hope the update screen comes up. If it works, please let us know.
Gave it a try but no success - however there were 11 files in the zip file. I added all to the SD card. Should have only used a certain one?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I think you are supposed to put the update.zip in the root of the sdcard. If you search this forum for "update.zip" you will find the different methods supported. Definitely, you do NOT unzip the file at all.

[edit]: Oh and when I say sdcard, I mean the internal card. No idea if it will work on an external card (I doubt it will).
Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

As mr_nobody said, leave the file zipped up. I suggested trying an external SD card simply because unifaerie can't get through the registration process at the moment, but yes: it is a guess based upon the internal SD card method.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
unifaerie
Enthusiast

Quote:
As mr_nobody said, leave the file zipped up. I suggested trying an external SD card simply because unifaerie can't get through the registration process at the moment, but yes: it is a guess based upon the internal SD card method.
That method does work - using external SD as you suggested : )

However - it must not have been the latest file as it still continued to try and download a newer update. Maybe because it also required a firmware update as well? The download stopped at 35% or so, as before : (

Now I know this works, it would be great if anyone has the latest updates please.

Last edited by unifaerie; 03-17-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
mr_nobody
Evangelist

My understanding is that address IS the current update. You could verify by looking at the dates on the various files in the zip. It sounds like there is something pretty wrong with your device.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Copy the file to your Vox,
By using the USB cable and the USB storage option that pops up on the Vox? Then place the zip file in the root of the drive letter that appears in Windows?

Later: Yes, that worked. The Vox is just finishing up the update now.

Even later: Vox stated sideload updated was applied successfully but now it wants to do another update of some sort which is downloading quite slow. FRIG that download also failed at 40%. And the main Kobo screen is stuck at Loading...

Powering off and on isn't solving the main Kobo screen being stuck at Loading ... I'll give it a half hour and then I'm going to start using it as a vegetable cutting board.

So now when I tap Library at the bottom I get a screen stating The application Kobo (process.com.kobobooks.pegasus.androied) is not responding. Now it's stating Application Launcher in process com.android.launcher) is not responding. Force close.

Guess the Vox is very FRIGGED now.

Probably have to do a factory reset. Fortunately I don't have a lot loaded on there. Hmm, all my Angry Bird levels will be lost.

Last edited by TonyToews; 03-17-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Weirdness: the files in my update archive are all listed as 23 August 2011, except for a 7 byte file called update which is dated 8 March 2012. I think this is the most recent update.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
So now when I tap Library at the bottom I get a screen stating The application Kobo (process.com.kobobooks.pegasus.androied) is not responding. Now it's stating Application Launcher in process com.android.launcher) is not responding. Force close.

Guess the Vox is very FRIGGED now.
Try to apply the update again. I don't know if it will work since it sounds like this method only works once per update (and it may be a configuration file that is broken), but there is no further harm in trying.

If that doesn't work, do you have ADB working or a rooted Vox? There is a method where the updates will always be applied, but it depends upon a functional copy of ADB (or the device being rooted). Again, it will only work if the update was somehow mangled since the ADB/root method only updates the system files and not the configuration files.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #14
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Try to apply the update again. I don't know if it will work since it sounds like this method only works once per update (and it may be a configuration file that is broken), but there is no further harm in trying.

If that doesn't work, do you have ADB working or a rooted Vox?
I'll try the update some other day. I have no idea what you mean by ADB. I have also never rooted the Vox.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
unifaerie
Enthusiast

Latest response from Kobo

Thank you again for contacting Kobo Customer Care.

The update is large and can take a while to process, especially if the WiFi signal is not very strong. The download will not start from the beginning again, but instead restart from the point at which it stopped. You may have to do this several times, but the update should eventually download. Things to do to make the process quicker:

•Take the device as close to the router as possible and lay it down on a table
•Disconnect other devices from the network whilst the update downloads
•Try a different network, preferably a home network, not work or public.

Please contact us again if you need more assistance.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team.

Hmmmmm - think I have just enough sense to have already tried this several times lolol.