Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Sony repair saga continues ...

I'm at my wit's end with Sony and this reader. First, I had a mysterious screen problem (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13957). Then somehow the charging light was broken during repairs (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14763). Now that I finally got my reader back, I noticed that the silver panel on the left-side of the reader is bulging out and that my screen gets darker whenever I navigate within a menu page. Whoever repaired my reader clearly broke the tabs on the side panel, but I'm actually willing to let this slide given the trouble of sending it in. The latter problem is less forgivable because it seems to be more than a mechanical issue. At a glance, the reader seems fine when reading or viewing a page. However, the entire screen gets darker when I toggle up or down on the joystick while on the same menu page. In the latest round of repairs, Sony claims they replaced the motherboard and updated the firmware.

I haven't been able to use my reader for about a month now. On top of that, I'm getting tired of this back and forth with Sony repair. When I called their offices earlier today, the operator informed me that they are currently shut down due to the fires in San Diego. I don't mean to sound insensitive to their plight, but even Mother Nature seems be against me at this point. When they finally re-open, I plan on insisting for a replacement or at the very least repair for the damages they have incurred.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Their offices are located in the Rancho Bernardo that's all over the news -- I'm sure they are very shut down at the moment. You probably only got an answer to your call because they can route them elsewhere.

I'm surprised and sorry that the repair job was so lackluster. Hopefully they'll be able to (and will) make it right once the present emergency has passed.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
After two weeks, my reader is finally back in my hands. Sony didn't give me a new unit but they did replace the side panels and and some other parts to fix the screen darkening problem. At this point, I think more than 90% of the parts on this unit have been replaced. It still amazes why they didn't just give me a new one. Shipping expenses as well as parts and labor must have well-exceeded the $60 I originally paid. I really don't know how to feel about Sony anymore. Although they were supportive every step of the way, the quality of their product and repairs is definitely questionable. Hopefully, I can now get down to some reading and stop all this moaning and groaning.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well at least they did fix it and all is now well. So enjoy the reading!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote