Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Dave9911
Dave9911 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Kobo's for my Kids

Hi all, I'm new here, but this looks like a good place to ask the question...

My Wife and I both have Kobos and have them under one account. Works well, other than the minor confusion over bookmarks. The question though, is I bought each of my two kids a kobo (for their upcoming birth days), Would you have thier kobo readers on the same account as ours, or should they each get their own acct (they don't have a cc to attach to their accts to buy books). If they are on our acct how would you deal with them eventually moving out and taking their books with them?

Thanks,

Dave.
Dave9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The question is, do you want to share books with them or not? If yes, then you would need to keep the kobo readers on your account. I tried to set up a kobo account for my mom on a kobo that had been on my account, and the software got all screwy when it recognized two IDs on one device. It turns out my mother has a phobia of loading books onto the kobo herself and so is quite happy to leave the kobo registered to me. I take it once a month or so, load up a bunch of stuff and then give it back :-)

So, if your kids want to read only books from your account, keep it on there. Otherwise set up their own accounts and load them up with a gift card.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Dave9911

Hmmm... Good thought. If they are on my acct, can i "give away" a book from my library and transfer it to a different account (removing it from mine) at some point down the road?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Not without removing the DRM. DRM is designed to assure that only people who have a license for a book get to read the book on their devices, in accordance with the TOS. Kobobooks can be read on five devices, but all five must be associated with the same email address/kobo account.

For Adobe DRM, all devices need to be associated with the same Adobe account.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Dave9911

Sounds like while they live at home, the readers (coincidentally there are 5 of us living here) on one account is the ticket. Further reading suggests that when they do move out, we can download their books (Via the kobo website), and have them load the epub (Adobe Drm'ed) files into their own Adobe Digital edition accounts. Then we can remove those books from out shared accounts.

Dave.
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9911 View Post
Sounds like while they live at home, the readers (coincidentally there are 5 of us living here) on one account is the ticket. Further reading suggests that when they do move out, we can download their books (Via the kobo website), and have them load the epub (Adobe Drm'ed) files into their own Adobe Digital edition accounts. Then we can remove those books from out shared accounts.

Dave.
Why remove them from the account?

Think of the account as a SINGLE library, accessible from anywhere at any time. Why would you not want to share books with your own family once the kids move out? Just because the kids are gone it doesn't mean you have to stop sharing books. One day, when the kids have their own credit cards, they can be used on YOUR kobo account, so purchases can be made easily by anyone.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
One thing to keep in mind:

If any of you decide you want to read the same book at the same time on different readers, you'll want to avoid syncing while doing so, or your bookmarks will change.

Not really a big deal (especially now we have a GO TO page function), but it's a pain in the butt to be on page 176 then sync your reader, only to discover you're all the way back to page 24.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9911 View Post
Then we can remove those books from out shared accounts.
Remember if you remove them from the account all together you/they will have to rebuy the book if you ever need to download it again. IMO I'd look at the account as an extra backup to fall back on if they lose the DRM'd ePub for whatever reason (of course it's always best to keep a couple backups of your own as well as the store/library).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Dave9911

All fantastic Suggestions. Thanks All!