Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
russerslick
russerslick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Losing TOC from Sigil to Calibre??

Hello! I just got involved with ebooks and Sigil. I've spent most of the day figuring it out, but now I'm stumped when it comes to the TOC. At first, I had a TOC that worked fine. I was fixing a mislabeled epub of Stephen King's Four Past Midnight. The TOC linked to every single chapter in all four stories and I just wanted it to link to the first page of each of the 4 stories, so I changed it, sent it to Calibre, converted to MOBI and put it on my Kindle. It worked fine.

Then I realizes I needed some chapter breaks. So I went back and added those. And that's when the TOC stopped working completely. Now when I add the epub into Calibre, no TOC appears at all, even though I have the proper chapters labeled with headings and all the boxes checked in the TOC editor in Sigil. Nothing I do makes the TOC appear in Calibre. I even went back and removed the chapter breaks to see if the TOC would come back and it didn't. I have no idea what's wrong. Any ideas?
russerslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Is the TOC also not available in Calibre without converting it to mobi? If you open the reader in Calibre (make sure you are reading the epub), nothing happens if you click on the TOC icon on the left?

Could you test it with another programs? Perhaps epubreader for firefox? That way we could see if it is Sigil or Calibre related.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
russerslick

Thanks for the suggestion. But just as mysteriously as it stopped working yesterday, today it's working again. I shut down my computer last night and restarted it this morning, so I guess that fixed the problem. I just wish I'd done it yesterday.

Still seems kind of weird though.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
NB Sigil destroys tocs - it creates its own and overwrites what you had before
so you have to be real careful when using both sigil & calibre, until you get into a workable routine.
calibre has a "force TOC creation" option that you need to get to know, also & sigil has an F7 TOC editor.

you probably had a "working" toc that used html code, which calibre would leave alone, but which is almost impossible to edit.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The new upcoming version of Sigil has a complete new TOC managing manner, if I interpret the messages from Valloric correctly. I believe it will no longer automatically destroy what you have before.
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The new upcoming version of Sigil has a complete new TOC managing manner, if I interpret the messages from Valloric correctly. I believe it will no longer automatically destroy what you have before.
This is correct.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

Saw the screenprint! Woohoo!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i've gotten used to it destroying & rebuilding previous TOC, so will that still be an option ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i've gotten used to it destroying & rebuilding previous TOC, so will that still be an option ?
Yes, as a "Generate TOC from headings" button. I'm not going to obsolete the old workflows people have gotten used to.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

Yes, in the TOC pane there will be a button 'Create TOC from headers'. I assume that will recreate the TOC in the old fashion.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
russerslick

Thanks for all the help. The cool thing about this forum (I've lurked for awhile) is that pretty much all of you are very helpful without being condescending to noobs. It's definitely not like that everywhere.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by russerslick View Post
Thanks for all the help. The cool thing about this forum (I've lurked for awhile) is that pretty much all of you are very helpful without being condescending to noobs. It's definitely not like that everywhere.
To be fair, it's not just this specific subforum of MobileRead, it's all of MobileRead. This is literally the nicest online community in existence, and I've been a part of more than a few.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Pulled the latest hg and haven't seen any commits to this.
I lost a lot of toc's when I first started using sigil because didn't realize it was overwriting them. Pretty much stopped using it because of this.

Any time frame for a fix? I see it come up alot. It's easy to work around, extracting the toc before, but meh.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Pulled the latest hg and haven't seen any commits to this.
That's because I like to work on major changes to Sigil in my offline repos. Gives me more freedom, plus I like to keep the official repo stable and usable. When I think that what I have is stable enough that someone using repo sources can use repo Sigil on a day-to-day basis, then it will be pushed online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Any time frame for a fix?
ETA is "when it's done". We're talking weeks until the first beta.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can try this workaround. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117809

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote