Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
ZENYO
ZENYO began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Troubles Connecting to Wireless Network

Hello All, Just got the Kobo Wireless and I'm havingtroubles connecting to my wireless network.

My network Setup:
Linksys wrt54gl 1.1 (no firmware upgrades)
WPA-TKIP
64 Character Password, Upper/Lower Case and Special Characters
Mac Filtering on.

I added the Kobo's MAC do the list and I couldn't connect. I turned off MAC Filtering and I still couldn't connect. So, I synced up and updated and i couldn't connect. After reading another thread here, I reset the unit and I still couldn't connect. Soooo....

I disabled wireless security and connected fine. Then I enabled WPA-AES with an 8 character password and I connected fine, then I changed to WPA-TKIP with 8 characters and connected fine. hmmm... So I upped my passwrod to 26 characters and I can't connect again.

Is there a character limit? Any idea how can connect to WPA with more than an 8 character password?

Last edited by ZENYO; 12-26-2010 at 07:08 PM.
ZENYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I have a WPA2 with a quite a bunch of characters and it works. Someone else was having a weird problem with it not wanting to connect if they had the "show characters" turned on when inputting the password in the Kobo. Try turning that off if you're using it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

This may not solve your particular problem, but try lowering your signal strength. If your wireless signal is too strong and you're close to your wireless source, Kobo (and other gadgets) may not pick up the signal correctly.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
ZENYO

Tried that...

Thanks for the reply robko. I tried that already and it didn't help. It seems to be a character limit of some sort. after 8 characters it craps out. I tried 9 characters and no good....
Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
ZENYO

Interesting, I've never heard this before but I will have a look when I get home.

THanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
This may not solve your particular problem, but try lowering your signal strength. If your wireless signal is too strong and you're close to your wireless source, Kobo (and other gadgets) may not pick up the signal correctly.
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENYO View Post
Linksys wrt54gl 1.1 (no firmware upgrades)
The same router, with dd-wrt on it.

Quote:
WPA-TKIP
64 Character Password, Upper/Lower Case and Special Characters
Mac Filtering on.
For secure connection seems to be fine to have wpa2, aes and 26+
for pass.

Quote:
I added the Kobo's MAC do the list and I couldn't connect. I turned off MAC Filtering and I still couldn't connect. So, I synced up and updated and i couldn't connect. After reading another thread here, I reset the unit and I still couldn't connect.
I'd reboot the router first, for occasion. Native linksys firmware
could be strange from time to time.

Quote:
I disabled wireless security and connected fine. Then I enabled WPA-AES with an 8 character password and I connected fine
Good is that you could connect someway. Maybe you should avoid
non ascii characters?

Quote:
then I changed to WPA-TKIP with 8 characters and connected fine. hmmm... So I upped my passwrod to 26 characters and I can't connect again.
One thing that you did not mention was if you made ssid hidden. I recall
one thread with extra step to fail first and then be asked if you wanted to
make configuration yourself.

My first bet is that you included characters you should not. Try out with
26 lower case and numbers only. If it works, here you are. If not, kobo guys
would shed a little more light to the scene. I simply cannot believe the pass
to be limited to 8 characters.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
mdennis
mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Having the same problem with my kobo, 9 digits lots of special characters.
Tried changing my router pass but I am terrible at that stuff.
Its seems like Kobo is not to quick on firmware so this could be a long wait
mdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
then I changed to WPA-TKIP with 8 characters and connected fine. hmmm... So I upped my passwrod to 26 characters and I can't connect again.

Is there a character limit? Any idea how can connect to WPA with more than an 8 character password?
I use WPA2 with 26 characters and it works fine.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yeah, my WPA2 26 works just fine as well. You might try a forum search for this, as I remember someone else having a similar problem and I believe there was a solution.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
ZENYO

Fixed!

Thanks for your help everyone. After some more testing this morning, it is the special characters that is the problem.

I was able to get it connected with WPA2, 63 character, Alpha Numeric, Upper/Lower Case password.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
gray71
gray71
gray71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wireless
I'm having similar issues. My Kobo won't even detect my wireless network. Am running a TrendNet TEW-432BRP 54Mbps wireless router, with many wireless devices easily connected to it. I had WEP security enabled so I disabled it but no luck. Also tried lowering signal strength as mentioned in this thread. The Kobo scans but comes up empty. Going on 4 days now! Kobo support has not been useful at all. I noticed that the MAC address of it is 11-22-33-44-55-66,which seems mighty strange for a MAC address. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
gray71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Based on that MAC address I think I'd take it back and exchange it because you're right, it doesn't look right.
Since you've been able to connect other devices I'm assuming that you have the router set to show (I forget the technical term :-().
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #13
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray71 View Post
My Kobo won't even detect my wireless network.
I recall similar thread some time ago. Poster set to default and went outside
to find open wireless. It connected somehow. Maybe someone played with
device and you have to set to factory one.

Quote:
The Kobo scans but comes up empty.
As very first, I'd reboot the router and factory default reader. Then, I'd check
mac address you mentioned again.

Quote:
I noticed that the MAC address of it is 11-22-33-44-55-66,which seems mighty strange for a MAC address.
The first number is for manufacturer. This mac is not valid, for sure. Once
more, do factory reset, not reboot. Also, try to find older posts on the simi-
lar issues on this forum. It should all take no more than an hour. After that
you could take it back and get new device.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote