Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I know for sure AltGr is not identical to Ctrl+Alt.
Try to lock your Windows PC with AltGr-Del, that won't work.
I am not sure if this is the only difference though.
No, that's a specific key sequence that's reserved for that purpose. Any "AltGr + X" combination, though, can also be obtained with "Ctrl + Alt + X" as far as I can see. Certainly all the ones I've tried, at least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I noticed a few bugs in Sigil 0.9.8
  1. Open any epub, rename the first (maybe any, have no checked) file to xxx.xml. Sigil will crash when you try to "Split at Cursor/Markers"
Perhaps DiapDelaer already fixed this but on my latest builds if you rename Section1.xhtml to Section1.xml and then insert a split marker in it and try to split at markers with Edit->Split at Markers, you get an normal Sigil error message as follows:

Cannot split since at least one file may not be an HTML file.

There is no crashing.

Can anyone else reproduce this particular crash? If so, what I am doing wrong?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #33
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, for me it works just fine after I insert a split marker in the text and use Edit -> Split at Marker.

If I do NOT insert a split marker and instead try Edit->Split at Cursor, then I too see a segfault. So Split at Cursor, needs to run the same validation that Split at Marker does and error out.

I will see if I can track that down and get it fixed.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, the fix for this was just pushed so split at cursor will now act the same as split at markers for non-html/non-xhtml files.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-17-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #35
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I just noticed something. Doesn't really matter (to me), but thought I should mention it.

If you open an epub that you don't have write-access to (but read access), edit it, and do a save, Sigil will say:

Sigil has encoutered a problem.
Sigil cannot continue and will now close.

When you click the pop-up away it continoues as usual, thus it doesn't do what it says; "close".
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:00 AM   #36
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
If you open an epub that you don't have write-access to (but read access), edit it, and do a save, Sigil will say:

Sigil has encoutered a problem.
Sigil cannot continue and will now close.

When you click the pop-up away it continoues as usual, thus it doesn't do what it says; "close".
I can confirm that one too.
Happens for example when I open an Epub sent by email and opened with any webmailers
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, trying to saving to a location where you have no permissions can cause problems on some platforms and instead of a nice -1 return value they throw an exception and some even abort. On those platforms, Sigil tries to catch any exceptions and catch abort signals and try to "save the day" and not close. Sometimes that works and Sigil can resume and other times it can not. So that message is a bit Windows-like and misleading as well. I will try to change that error message and see if there are better ways to handle permission violations on write that will work across platforms or better yet detect them without an actual write-attempt.

KevinH
Old 08-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I will try to change that error message and see if there are better ways to handle permission violations on write that will work across platforms or better yet detect them without an actual write-attempt.
In the mean-time:
Quote:
Sigil encountered a problem and may need to close.
...seems to sufficiently resolve the issue.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that's a specific key sequence that's reserved for that purpose. Any "AltGr + X" combination, though, can also be obtained with "Ctrl + Alt + X" as far as I can see. Certainly all the ones I've tried, at least.
Isn't "AltGr" nothing more than a replacement/substitute for the right-hand-ALT key on the US keyboard? Same exact key, and characters sent?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:23 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Isn't "AltGr" nothing more than a replacement/substitute for the right-hand-ALT key on the US keyboard? Same exact key, and characters sent?

Hitch
AltGr is the same physical key as the right Alt key on a US keyboard, yes. The differing functionality is provided by the keyboard driver.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:41 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ALT GR is a silly key. It really should be ALT. What use is ALT GR?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:10 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ALT GR is a silly key. It really should be ALT. What use is ALT GR?
It's essentially a second shift key, Jon. Most non-US keyboard layouts have three symbols, not just two, on many keys, and AltGr gives you the second "alternate" symbol. Eg, on a UK keyboard, the "4" key gives you "$" with shift, and "€" with AltGr.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just find AltGR to be worthless. It's better to just be an Alt and the FN key could be used with 4 to get €.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just find AltGR to be worthless. It's better to just be an Alt and the FN key could be used with 4 to get €.
"Fn" is not a standard key - it's generally used to access hardware specific features, such as changing the volume or brightness, disabling or enabling WiFi, etc. "AltGr" is a standard (except in the US).
Old 09-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

FN is a standard key on laptops and some keyboards. AltGR doesn't do much. On a UK keyboard, there's only two keys that it works with. It doesn't do enough to have AltGR instead of Alt on the right side.