Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
xyann00
xyann00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle vs PocketBook - working with dictionary?

I am choosing e-book reader to help me learn English with their in-built dictionary. Which reader would be best suited for this? Dictionary can be monolingual but I would like to have pronunciation.

Currently I am deciding between these two:

Amazon New Kindle (8)
PocketBook Basic Touch 2

At each page, I translate ~3 words, so I want working with the dictionary to be smooth and not irritating.

Regarding Kindle:
- I like Vocabulary Builder, but I heard that it works only with AZW3 format, is that true?
- I am worried that tap-and-hold will be slow and annoying.

Regarding PockebBook
- I like that you can bind HW button to the dictionary, how exactly it works? How fast does the dictionary pop up?

What's your experience and recommendation? Thanks.
xyann00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I haven't used a pocketbook but Kindle's are great for dictionaries. I don't find tap and hold slow it's still much quicker than even typing the word into an online dictionary or looking it up in a paper one. They also include pretty good dictionaries IMO and it's pretty easy to add more from the kindle store or elsewhere. One of the included English dictionaries The New Oxford American Dictionary includes pronunciations. You can also buy a learner's dictionary like Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary which has somewhat simpler worded definitions.

Vocab builder works in any book. It just records what words you looked up. Word Wise is a slightly different feature that will automatically show simple definitions above words it thinks you don't know. That only works for books that support that feature.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle has the best dictionaries in the business. There's really no competition.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
xyann00
xyann00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks, I know that you can install additional dictionaries for both Kindle and PocketBook.
I've seen also a video of how Kindle's dictionary works.

The thing I am the most interested in now is PocketBook's ability to bind dictionary to the button, do you use it someone? Or could you try and tell me how it works?
xyann00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I have a Pocketbook Touch HD. Mapping the dictionary to a hardware button is available for the built in readers (I use CoolReader, so I do not use the function), and activating it means the dictionary function is open and remains open until deactivated, so a single touch of any word on the screen immediately brings up the dictionary definition. The dictionary remains activated until the mapped hardware key is pressed.

To be honest, it is not a function I liked because I do not use the dictionary frequently enough to want the dictionary definition popping up every time I happened to touch the screen.

In Coolreader, I have a particular section of screen space mapped to opening the dictionary - one tap to open the dictionary, tap the word for a definition, tap again to close the dictionary.

I hope this makes some sense.

The Kindles do come with the best dictionaries, in my experience.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote