Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
JM Knowles
JM Knowles began at the beginning.

Device: As Many As Possible
I want to pubish an eBook and need DRM

I am having trouble tracking down a company. I have the book in epub, mobi, and pdf formats - now I just need a company that can help me manage the DRM. (And yes I know that any DRM can be hacked but I am doing this for a client who wants DRM and I need to know where to send him.)

I have been searching for days ... I thought this would be simple.
JM Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Whoever sells the books usually applies the DRM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you sell through Amazon, I believe that you can specify whether to apply DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
B&N should allow you to sell with DRM too.

As for having a company apply DRM to a title you distribute yourself, I have not heard of any.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As said above sellers like Amazon, B&N, Kobo, etc. can apply DRM. Also this can be accomplished when selling through distributors like Overdrive and LightningSource (Ingram) who provide books to independent sellers like Books On Board and Diesel.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another thing to keep in mind: if you do find an independent company willing to put DRM on your ebooks, they probably won't be readable on any of the popular ereader devices.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Knowles View Post
II have been searching for days ... I thought this would be simple.
As everyone else has said — it's the retailers who add the DRM. Just check the appropriate box when uploading the Amazon. For PDF and ePub, you'd find it a lot more difficult to find a way to sell without DRM. Jjust make sure you don't specifically ask for no DRM and you'll be fine.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
JM Knowles
JM Knowles began at the beginning.

Device: As Many As Possible
Can I sell myself?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We are going through the iBook Store. But We also have a shopping cart on our own site (we are also selling physical copies) and it would be nice to be able to sell them directly from the site in three formats (ePub, mobi and PDF)

Any ideas?

Thanks again!!!!!
JM Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do have an idea. Sell without DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Ever the Helpy Helperton, eh, JS?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
You could purchase Adobe Content Server to handle DRM for PDF and ePub. However to best of my knowledge there is no equivalent solution from Amazon for mobi.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Lulu seems to offer the option to add DRM. You would point to lulu.com from your site to handle ePub and/or PDF ebooks. I'm not sure what they would charge for the service. Lulu can also place your ebook in stores, including the Kindle store. As others have said, the only place to get Kindle DRM is the Kindle store.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #13
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Most people by far would rather click a link that takes them to Amazon or Barnes and Noble than to give an unknown website their credit card info. I really wouldn't bother with trying to obtain and enforce my own private DRM. I'd just link to other booksellers: Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Sony...that's where his sales will come from.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #14
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Together we can defeat DRM.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Knowles View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions. We are going through the iBook Store. But We also have a shopping cart on our own site (we are also selling physical copies) and it would be nice to be able to sell them directly from the site in three formats (ePub, mobi and PDF)

Any ideas?
You could go for social DRM. Have your system add an extra page/file to the PDF/ePub that contains the purchaser's name and date of purchase and how much the book cost, and other details useful to you and the buyer. You only need to manage this for ePub and PDF - you can generate the Kindle format from the customised ePub format using kindlegen.

Do it in an elegant way and it could become a useful feature.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote