Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
No, I didn't select; but when I did as you suggest it indented the whole section, when what I was after was an indent at the start of each paragraph.

I'm sure you're right that Sigil helps, if I load the correct format and learn its little ways.
For the style class used for the paragraph in question (I say this, because first paragraphs can have different rules): in the stylesheet: add the attribute or modify the value
Code:
text-indent: 2em
(the 2em is the amount and is users choice )
remember to end the prior line with a semicolon
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #32
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I don't think writer2epub is good enough. I tried it on one of my documents and it changed the layout. For example it changed the paragraph indents and it centered the chapter headings. IMHO it is better to save as HTML in Openoffice.org and import that in Sigil. Or save as ODT and let Calibre do the conversion to ePub and load that in Sigil. None of these routes is perfect, but they probably are a better approximation then exporting from Word.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #33
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
I don't think writer2epub is good enough. I tried it on one of my documents and it changed the layout. For example it changed the paragraph indents and it centered the chapter headings.
But it only takes 30 seconds to make those whatever you want in the CSS.
I use a different method, but maybe writer2epub has default CSS settings that are user configurable?

Quote:
IMHO it is better to save as HTML in Openoffice.org and import that in Sigil.
Completely agree there!!

Quote:
Or save as ODT and let Calibre do the conversion to ePub and load that in Sigil.
I am not a big fan of Calibre conversions but they sure are a better option than trying to put Word HTML into Sigil.
Quote:
None of these routes is perfect, but they probably are a better approximation then exporting from Word.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #34
shall1028
Nameless Being

Sigil and save filtered HTML in Word

Quote:
How do I get to WYSIWYG editing? If I click on Book View nothing happens.
I had a similar problem loading an HTML file saved by MS Word 2007's save filtered HTML option.

What I found was that Word, in the CSS file, puts quotes around the serif and sans-serif entries in font-family ( e.g. font-family: "serif"; )

Sigil it seems doesn't like this. I removed the quotes around serif and the text showed fine in Sigil's book view.

Steven
Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #35
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
I don't think writer2epub is good enough. I tried it on one of my documents and it changed the layout. For example it changed the paragraph indents and it centered the chapter headings. IMHO it is better to save as HTML in Openoffice.org and import that in Sigil. Or save as ODT and let Calibre do the conversion to ePub and load that in Sigil. None of these routes is perfect, but they probably are a better approximation then exporting from Word.
Remember, writer2epub is still pretty much "beta" software. AFAIK it hasn't yet been formally released through OOo.

It does produce a very clean, organized, almost self-documenting CSS file, which as Dave_S says, is easy to modify to do what you want. (Unlike the CSS file produced by, say InDesign4 for example, which can be a horrendous mess.)

Unfortunately I have yet to find a solution that "Just Works (tm)." Producing a production-quality epub IMHO is going to require a certain amount of tweaking, within or without Sigil. But several of the options discussed above will produce a "preliminary" epub that is probably good enough for personal use as-is, and will load smoothly into Sigil for final polishing.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #36
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
at this rate you could have polished off a new novel ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #37
Gary Young
Gary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beautyGary Young does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
That doesn't seem to be an option on Word 2000, pietvo.
The suggestion was:
Originally Posted by pietvo
You can try to save the Word document as filtered HTML and start from there. Actually Word is a terrible tool (in the bad sense) for producing HTML.
-----
Recently, I was trying to convert from MS Word 2000 to ePub, using calibre, and found the same advice in the Calibre manual. It was accompanied by a link to an MS Word 2000 add-in. Do a google search for "Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0" and follow the instructions from Microsoft.

Once this is installed in office 2000, you just have to open the MS word file and click on the new icon. This creates a 'cleaner' html file that is saved on your computer.

I have had good success converting these 'filtered' html file to ePub via calibre.

Gary
Gary Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #38
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Gary

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, sigil, wysiwyg