Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2015, 01:15 AM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
For that matter it has to deal with ORIGINAL_FMT also when doing a FMT to FMT conversion.
& cope with other insane user actions , e.g. wheat should the program do/show if user deletes the first added format....
show "gone AWOL", next best choice/earliest available format....

or, if user overwrites the first added format with an ill-judged conversion from another format.....
is it still the "first added" even after being overwritten ?

this is all better done manually, methinks

and arguably the custom colunm should be source ( i.e. book store), not format. If you mess up and need to go download a fresh copy, then knowing where you bought it is more useful than knowing what format it was in ?
in most cases , name of book store implies format anyway. Amazon do not sell epub, Kobo do not sell mobi....
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #17
Colerson
Nameless Being

Quote:
this is all better done manually, methinks
There certainly are a lot of issues to be addressed if such functionality were to be made generally available, but in my own case, doing it manually is inferior to doing it automatically, and I know this because of the pain I went through after switching from B&N to Amazon.

A big reason why I've never bothered trying to make this a more general solution (perhaps via a plugin) is precisely because it fits a certain workflow, i.e. mine, and would be hard to generalize. However, within that workflow, this has been an extrordinarily useful feature. If I'm reading a book that I purchased months ago and notice that there was some problem during conversion when I first imported (let's say spacing was too-aggressively removed between paragraphs, so it included scene breaks, too), I can just go to the book, hit “Convert”, make a small change, and go. Calibre does the right thing, too and uses the ORIGINAL_ format for conversion if one exists.

Basically, this tweak makes things a lot easier and less error prone for me, but that's because it's tailored for how I work.
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #18
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If a book was bought from Amazon, it will have an exth 113 field, which contains the ASIN (product identifier). When calibre imports the AZW* file, it will add this ASIN as the identifier "mobi-asin".

If a book has the mobi-asin identifier, it is a pretty good bet that the book was originally from Amazon.

Of course, I also add a tag for any book that isn't from Amazon, to indicate where it came from. (Tags are useless, so I use them to keep track of other information, like original source, if the book is an omnibus/anthology, and whether or not any metadata or editing work needs to be done.)
Out of curiosity, why do you say tags are useless? On those files that I have modified the tags to my own specifications I find tags are very useful for finding a book in the genre I want to read next.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I do use a few tags, but in order to get meaningful tags you need to add them yourself. And usually that is too much work.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:30 AM   #20
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Depends on how often you add a new book. I average maybe one a week so the extra workload of tagging it is manageable
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert