Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
Has anybody looked at Russian hack of PRS-600?

According to this site:

http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D12146

The image file: cramfs.rootfs.img in the package is NOT encrypted. So some respectful member of this forum may be able to make customized img file with neccessary fonts included. I am interested in Chinese fonts. Or actually I like the approach of only mount font directory without flashing.

Thanks for anybody making this possible!

Last edited by budalb; 12-03-2009 at 07:23 PM.
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
shmrck
shmrck began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 black + premium cover + cover w/ light
Unpack firmware as described in your link, add your fonts (see detailed howto here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28447) pack it back and load this FW to your reader. It's not a problem even for non-programmer
shmrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
JoblessPirate
JoblessPirate began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
This looks awesome. Time to make this baby awesome.

Regarding the fonts, that would be awesome. It currently can use Chinese fonts if they're in embedded in the pdf.
JoblessPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessPirate View Post
This looks awesome. Time to make this baby awesome.

Regarding the fonts, that would be awesome. It currently can use Chinese fonts if they're in embedded in the pdf.
Or better yet, embedded in the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmrck View Post
Unpack firmware as described in your link, add your fonts (see detailed howto here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28447) pack it back and load this FW to your reader. It's not a problem even for non-programmer
i would be very careful. the documentation and application used are for the 505 and use the rom image for the 505. can anyone verify it works the same with the 600 firmware?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
shmrck

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i would be very careful. the documentation and application used are for the 505 and use the rom image for the 505. can anyone verify it works the same with the 600 firmware?
Yes, I can verify. It's all the same and working just fine!

1) Download this hacked FW
2) Unpack new_opt.600.img by cramfs tools
3) Prepare your font and put it to \opt\opt\sony\ebook\FONT
4) Pack it all back to new_opt.600.img file by cramfs tools
5) By using for example Microsoft Checksum Integrity Verifier get new MD5 for new_opt.600.img
6) write new MD5 to new_opt.600.md5
7) flash new fw to PRS-600
Old 12-12-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
shmrck

Oh, sorry.
Not all manual to change font for 505 is usable. Only preparing font part.
You have to fully reflash your PRS-600!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

OK. I started this thread. Here is my report (similar to #6 by shmrck):

1) download 'boroda" FW.
2) unpack new_opt.600.img using cramfs-tools. I did this under cygwin for safe:
cramfsck -v -x opt -d opt.dt new_opt.600.img
3) copy chinese fonts from PRS505 hack to /opt/sony/ebook/FONT.
4) re-pack img file (name has to be the same):
mkcramfs -D opt.dt opt new_opt.600.img
5) re-create MD5 checksum:
md5sum new_opt.600.img > new_opt.600.md5

6) To be safe, I didn't flash this image file. Instead I flashed the original russian image (see instruction in the link of my original post). After flashing, the directory "test" in sony reader is deleted by flash script. Recopy "test" to the reader and reboot. Now the autorun hack is ready.

7) replace new_opt.600.img and new_opt.600.md5 in "test" with the modified image and md5 files.

8) in SD card make an empty file "Sony Reader/software/autorun.xml"

9) hold MENU button and Vol + at the same time, then insert SD card till the testing menu shows up. release buttons.

10) press "ZOOM" button to load test FW. If successfull, the new image files are good. You can do the regular flash. For me, the image file is too big since the chinese fonts files I added are too big. This is the reason to be safe.

11) Instead, I modified the script to do "mount --bind" and changed my system font directory to be "/Data/FONT" and put chinese fonts in that direcory.

Now I can see chinese in the menu navigations. For EPUB, I am still confused with how to make it recognize chinese. I have some EPUB file without embed fonts, displaying chinese fonts correctly, but not all. I can fix some but not all again.

Special thanks to porkupan for his help in the process!!!!

Last edited by budalb; 12-12-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
JoblessPirate
JoblessPirate began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
budalb Good job! I'm still a bit green on the process but I'm looking forward to more of your findings!

I'm fearing brickage
JoblessPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
budalb
Enthusiast

Russian version of FW has been tested, so flashing that is relatively safe. Then you gain capability to test whatever modified FW before flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessPirate View Post
budalb Good job! I'm still a bit green on the process but I'm looking forward to more of your findings!

I'm fearing brickage
Old 01-22-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
dalapan
dalapan began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 600
sony prs 600

anyone knows what need to be done to the PRS 600 to read chinese ?
dalapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalapan View Post
anyone knows what need to be done to the PRS 600 to read chinese ?
Create ePub with the Chinese font embedded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
iranvest
iranvest began at the beginning.

Device: sony
help

hi ,

i have tried cygwin and cramfs but didnt work for me.i tested anothere site commands and was not use full to.you can see here:

http://prabhur.wordpress.com/2009/04...s-environment/

can you help?the last comment is mine and i have discussed the errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budalb View Post
OK. I started this thread. Here is my report (similar to #6 by shmrck):

1) download 'boroda" FW.
2) unpack new_opt.600.img using cramfs-tools. I did this under cygwin for safe:
cramfsck -v -x opt -d opt.dt new_opt.600.img
3) copy chinese fonts from PRS505 hack to /opt/sony/ebook/FONT.
4) re-pack img file (name has to be the same):
mkcramfs -D opt.dt opt new_opt.600.img
5) re-create MD5 checksum:
md5sum new_opt.600.img > new_opt.600.md5

6) To be safe, I didn't flash this image file. Instead I flashed the original russian image (see instruction in the link of my original post). After flashing, the directory "test" in sony reader is deleted by flash script. Recopy "test" to the reader and reboot. Now the autorun hack is ready.

7) replace new_opt.600.img and new_opt.600.md5 in "test" with the modified image and md5 files.

8) in SD card make an empty file "Sony Reader/software/autorun.xml"

9) hold MENU button and Vol + at the same time, then insert SD card till the testing menu shows up. release buttons.

10) press "ZOOM" button to load test FW. If successfull, the new image files are good. You can do the regular flash. For me, the image file is too big since the chinese fonts files I added are too big. This is the reason to be safe.

11) Instead, I modified the script to do "mount --bind" and changed my system font directory to be "/Data/FONT" and put chinese fonts in that direcory.

Now I can see chinese in the menu navigations. For EPUB, I am still confused with how to make it recognize chinese. I have some EPUB file without embed fonts, displaying chinese fonts correctly, but not all. I can fix some but not all again.

Special thanks to porkupan for his help in the process!!!!
iranvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by iranvest View Post
i have tried cygwin and cramfs but didnt work for me.i tested anothere site commands and was not use full to.you can see here
Well, if you can't figure out how to use CRAMFS tools, I am pretty sure you shouldn't be messing with firmware. Sorry, but some things people are supposed to figure out on their own. I don't know what exactly "doesn't work" for you, but until you figure out how to make it work for you, you should probably stop thinking about making your own mods.

I can take your fonts, put them in the image, and give the image to you. It would probably take a few minutes of my time to make an image. But if something goes wrong, and the image doesn't work, or your reader is bricked or whatever, you are going to blame me for screwing it up. So, I would ask you to please try and figure out your own way.

You can ask questions, as long as they are not too general. CRAMFS doesn't work - that's way too general.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
iranvest
iranvest began at the beginning.

Device: sony
hi porkupan,

i sent the link for the errors i recieve when using cygwin and the commands,at this link:
http://prabhur.wordpress.com/2009/04...nt/#comment-13

i will say completly here again:

ok i did as below:

1)i downloaded the cramfs-1.1-1.tar.bz2 from this link(26 KB):http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X134...-1.1-1.tar.bz2

2)i extracted the cramfs-1.1-1.tar.bz2 at the drive D:/123/cramfs-1.1-1 of my hard disk on PC

3)i clicked on the cyqwin site link(www.cygwin.com) and at the page i clicked install cygwin now

4)it downloaded a file with name of setup.exe (about 600 KB)

5)i clicked setup.exe and at the opened window, i ticked install from internet and after clicking next i went to choose program to install window

6)at choose programs to install window, i clicked cramfs to dwonload and install too.

now when i click the cramfsck.exe at the file D:/123/cramfs-1.1-1/usr/bin/cramfsck.exe

it opens a window for entering commands and an error message :
“this application has failed to start because cygwin1.dll was not found.re-installing the application may fix this problem.”

see the picture here:

i tried the cygwin icon too,it opened the command window with no error.then i tried the commands you have explained here.
i typed : cramfsck and then clicked enter

it showed the help correctly as you see at the picture below

then i tried the command :
cramfsck -x c:\opt\ c:\new_opt.300.img

and i get an error again: no such file or directory

at the picture you can see the files are at c and the address is correct.

picture here:

what should i do now?
what was wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Well, if you can't figure out how to use CRAMFS tools, I am pretty sure you shouldn't be messing with firmware. Sorry, but some things people are supposed to figure out on their own. I don't know what exactly "doesn't work" for you, but until you figure out how to make it work for you, you should probably stop thinking about making your own mods.

I can take your fonts, put them in the image, and give the image to you. It would probably take a few minutes of my time to make an image. But if something goes wrong, and the image doesn't work, or your reader is bricked or whatever, you are going to blame me for screwing it up. So, I would ask you to please try and figure out your own way.

You can ask questions, as long as they are not too general. CRAMFS doesn't work - that's way too general.
iranvest is offline   Reply With Quote