Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Props to Eletroworld!

You might have read my thread about the demise of my SmartQ7 within days after I started playing with it. The power socket fell off which rendered the unit useless.

To make the short story even shorter, I decided to take the matter into my own hands, and attempted to fix it. Had my friend solder the socket, and it worked for about 2 hours and died.

Having had my share of bad experiences with shady overseas outfits, I assumed the worst about Eletroworld. But Alex with Eletroworld took the unit back, and had the factory fix it even though it was perfectly within the company's rights to declare the warranty void.

I got the unit back today, and it works beautifully. The power socket still makes me nervous though. The plug doesn't slip in so easily even though I try my best to be gentle.

Thanks to Eletroworld.
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
This is great news! I am so glad that things worked out for you.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Congrats on getting the unit back repaired!

How is it functioning now? Did it come back to you with firmware 4.0 on it or was it still running the firmware you shipped it back with? And, last but definitely not least, does the power adapter plug feel any sturdier than it did before?
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Brainy142
Brainy142 began at the beginning.

Device: smart q 5???
Wow that is fast man, I think smart Q skimped a bit in the build quality of the q7 (i'm not sure about the q5 but the q5 looks more solid...
Brainy142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 AM   #5
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Well, bad news.

I installed 4.0, and the unit is now dead. Very frustrating.
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnachos View Post
Well, bad news.

I installed 4.0, and the unit is now dead. Very frustrating.
What do you mean "dead"?

Are you a member of www.smartqmid.com? Some of us have joined that forum (and others dealing with this hardware) to pool knowledge. There have been quite a few who thought they had forever bricked their units, but found that the OS can be loaded and run from an SD card. Once that's done you have some other abilities to recover your Q.

Unless, of course, it's hardware again! If it is please sing out!

There are a few other forums dealing with these SmartQ 5/7s. Go to one and you'll find the links to others.
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
mikeve
Banned
mikeve began at the beginning.

Device: work
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnachos View Post
You might have read my thread about the demise of my SmartQ7 within days after I started playing with it. The power socket fell off which rendered the unit useless.

To make the short story even shorter, I decided to take the matter into my own hands, and attempted to fix it. Had my friend solder the socket, and it worked for about 2 hours and died.

Having had my share of bad experiences with shady overseas outfits, I assumed the worst about Eletroworld. But Alex with Eletroworld took the unit back, and had the factory fix it even though it was perfectly within the company's rights to declare the warranty void.

I got the unit back today, and it works beautifully. The power socket still makes me nervous though. The plug doesn't slip in so easily even though I try my best to be gentle.

Thanks to Eletroworld.

it is a good news.
mikeve is offline   Reply With Quote