Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Conversion for Dummies...

Ok, first off, I must apologize for my deplorable lack of technology skills. I was super psyched to figure out (with the help of this forum and surfing a zillion relevant posts) how to download books from the public library. Took me half of Christmas Day, but, hey, I did it!

So my new question is this: Is there some way to convert WMA overdrive books to a format that can be read by a sony? I know it says it's not compatible, but I wasn't sure if it could be forced to be compatible. I notice so many books I want to check out are in that format rather than PDF. I read that there is a way to convert mobipocket books as well, but I don't understand what I've read of it. Anyone with "instructions for dummies" for me, please post!

I know I have seen a lot of information about how to use calibre; what formats will that convert? Is that like ADE type thing where it has its own program that opens up and I just drag stuff over into my reader?

I appreciate all the easy instructions I can get!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
GraceKrispy--
Answers to a couple of your questions--

WMA overdrive books are audio books that will either play on your computer or on compatible mp3 players. (The iPods will NOT play WMA books.)

Calibre will convert a lot of different formats into either LRF or ePub (both of which work with the Sony Reader). But, it won't convert books with DRM, so you'll have to find a way to strip the DRM off first.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
So my new question is this: Is there some way to convert WMA overdrive books to a format that can be read by a sony?
WMA is an AUDIO format. Those are AUDIOBOOKS that you're looking at .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
yikes, I guess I've proven myself to be a real dummy, huh? I guess I was confused by the two types of WMA that were listed- one was MP3, so I knew that was audio.

I will have to check out calibre to try to figure it out. Thanks for the responses.

<--you can stop laughing now
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
yikes, I guess I've proven myself to be a real dummy, huh? I guess I was confused by the two types of WMA that were listed- one was MP3, so I knew that was audio.

I will have to check out calibre to try to figure it out. Thanks for the responses.

<--you can stop laughing now
Please. Like every person on this board hasn't made a silly mistake at one time or another.

Lift your head and keep on plowing away....you'll figure it all out sooner or later.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Please. Like every person on this board hasn't made a silly mistake at one time or another.

Lift your head and keep on plowing away....you'll figure it all out sooner or later.
Well, I don't know about you, but I never make silly misteaks!

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Well, I don't know about you, but I never make silly misteaks!

Xenophon

mmmm............steaks. BBQ'd, over charcoal, well done and crispy fat!mmmmmmmmmm....................
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
WmGoat
WmGoat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600 (prospective)
did anyone ever figure out how to get overdrive wma audio books to play on a sony reader?
WmGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Reader does not support any kind of audio DRM, and only knows how to play mp3 and aac(m4a). Not a big loss IMO as it's not a very good music player anyway.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
WmGoat
WmGoat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600 (prospective)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Reader does not support any kind of audio DRM, and only knows how to play mp3 and aac(m4a). Not a big loss IMO as it's not a very good music player anyway.
I just didnt want to have to drag another device along with me to hear audio. Too bad, I was almost positive that it could play wma files.
\
BTW, I CAN transfer these wma audiobook files to my sansa media audio player, and they work just fine. They arent drm after downloading, but since Im still new at this, I dont know if they will go away/cant use when the 14 day library checkout limit is reached
WmGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
There seem to be lots of programs, many free, that can convert wma files to mp3 format which would play on your reader.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=convert+wma+to+mp3&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmGoat View Post
I just didnt want to have to drag another device along with me to hear audio. Too bad, I was almost positive that it could play wma files.
\
BTW, I CAN transfer these wma audiobook files to my sansa media audio player, and they work just fine. They arent drm after downloading, but since Im still new at this, I dont know if they will go away/cant use when the 14 day library checkout limit is reached
Overdrive has a list of compatible devices on their website. You can find it here.
http://www.overdrive.com/resources/d...ledevices.aspx

You can transfer MP3 audiobooks (but not WMA) from Overdrive to your Sony ereader. I am not sure what the Overdrive website means by limited functionality. However, here is an example of what I find to be a limitation. Suppose you pause an audiobook and then go listen to other audio tracks on your ereader. When you return to your audiobook, it does not remember where you stopped and starts over (unlike my iPod which remembers where I stopped). Unfortunately not all e-libraries offer MP3 content. Until recently most e-library audiobooks have been WMA files. Fortunately my local e-library has been expanding their MP3 selection. Although there is usually a waiting list for popular titles/authors.

I usually transfer audiobooks to my iPod rather than my ereader. In my experience the audiobooks still function after the expiration date. When you open the Overdrive Media Console software, it reminds you if you have expired content and requests you to delete it. You also cannot return audiobooks early like you can with ebooks.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
It's just a supposition on my part but I think the reason that libraries were distributing WMA files instead of MP3 files is because they had DRM capabilities. However the most popular/prevalent players in the world, iPods along with some other players, don't support WMA files, so maybe that is why some libraries are changing over to MP3's, which all players support.

Good riddance, what the heck does it matter if you listen to a book within 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years if they are going to let you check it out anyway... it's not like a physical book that deprives other readers from using it. And it's not like music that you want to play again and again... how many time will you listen to an audio book... 10 times, 20 times?
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
It's just a supposition on my part but I think the reason that libraries were distributing WMA files instead of MP3 files is because they had DRM capabilities. However the most popular/prevalent players in the world, iPods along with some other players, don't support WMA files, so maybe that is why some libraries are changing over to MP3's, which all players support.
Yes, I suspect that libraries realize that MP3 files are in demand. Just like libraries are finally growing their EPUB content instead of supporting just PDFs.

Actually you can now transfer WMA files to your iPod, iPhone or iPad via Overdrive Media Console for the PC. It doesn't work for the Mac version. I have to switch over to running Windows in Bootcamp on my Mac. Overdrive Media Console for the PC has a transfer button which communicates with your iPod in the background. The library audiobooks show up as "Protected AAC" files on my iPod in iTunes. Somehow the Overdrive software is doing the conversion process and then communicating with iTunes for you. Unfortunately the current version of Overdrive software doesn't support a similar process for transferring WMA files to the Sony ereader.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Actually you can now transfer WMA files to your iPod, iPhone or iPad via Overdrive Media Console for the PC. It doesn't work for the Mac version. I have to switch over to running Windows in Bootcamp on my Mac. Overdrive Media Console for the PC has a transfer button which communicates with your iPod in the background. The library audiobooks show up as "Protected AAC" files on my iPod in iTunes. Somehow the Overdrive software is doing the conversion process and then communicating with iTunes for you. Unfortunately the current version of Overdrive software doesn't support a similar process for transferring WMA files to the Sony ereader.
Thanks Bookworm_Girl, that's good to know!
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote