Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #16
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I would quite happily send anyone on here a paperback I would otherwise throw away so they could have a read or even give it to a charity so they can sell it.

What happens now Ebooks are introduced to the mix?
Readers are called "pirates", "thieves" and "criminals". Sometimes "customers" and "consumers", if they behave properly...

Quote:
Can I send you a legally purchased DRM free ebook to read?
If you want to spend 4 years in jail, yes, you can.

Quote:
Can I lend it my wife to put on her reader If i purchased it?
If you purchsed it from Mobipocket, you can (they, in their infinite generosity, let you put the book onto up to five devices). With other providers, it can be different.

Quote:
Can I put it on disc and give it to a charity shop to resell?
No. You can't even dream of it.

Quote:
Can I sell a disc with them on at a market stall?
That's worse than selling drugs at school!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
thoughts?

Personally I think all of the above are fine with a paperback and are done all of the time so surely it would be ok to do the same with an Ebook? why not?
It's not "ok" with paperbacks.
It's simply impossible to enforce a law who forbid it all.
If RFIDs will make it feasible, public libraries will be called "prates", like P2Ps.

Ebook technology permit a heavy limitation on usage, it's easier to enforce (with the ISP cooperation) so it's widely used.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
norg1
norg1 began at the beginning.

Device: palm tx
The DRM is in place to stop the abusers who would sell copies of a book.......I suppose if someone wanted to make copies of their pbook and sell copies.........but again..not the same thing...one would need a publishing house type setup to get "retail quality" pbook copies....the ebook...all one needs to do is..well, copy it.....then it is the same quality as the original....that`s the rub now isn`t it?

As long as the human race is capable of deceptive activities, there will always be a need for protective practices..........

Those who abuse the system are the reason that those who do not, suffer under ever gowing rules and restrictions....a good place to start if anyone ever felt the need to call something evil........
norg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You can in most countries legally copy the paper book and then lend the paper book to a friend.
Not in any country that *I* know of.
There are 2 legal issues with eBooks that generally aren't faced with pBooks. Other than that, your legal rights are the same with both.

1) The license. As someone pointed out, there has been no definitive decision as to whether or not violating the license on an eBook carries any legal penalty. 2) It's also undecided as to whether stripping DRM is a legal violation.

In the case of selling a device with eBooks loaded, DRM or not, #2 wouldn't apply. I'm certain selling the device with books on it wouldn't violate copyright (provided you didn't keep copies of the books), so all that's left is #1. I doubt if a publisher would pursue that, and even if they did I think it's likely that it would be ruled legal.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Zombie thread is smelly.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norg1 View Post
The DRM is in place to stop the abusers who would sell copies of a book

Ummm... No.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #21
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
I've not ever heard that argument, even from those who make and use DRM. DRM is in place to prevent someone getting a copy for free.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I've not ever heard that argument, even from those who make and use DRM. DRM is in place to prevent someone getting a copy for free.
I believe that is wrong to. DRM exists because of its lock in effect.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #23
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Lock in to what?
AFAIK the main effect of DRM is making it difficult to convert ebooks to a different format. Of course I don't use a format-locked device, I use one on which I can load a program to read whatever format I prefer (well....there's a few formats for which I've yet to find a program that works on my handheld, but if I wanted to badly enough I'm sure I could write my own, it's just usually easier to find a program to strip the DRM & convert the book).
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #24
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
That may be true for Sony LRX and Amazon. But for epub?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:49 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That may be true for Sony LRX and Amazon. But for epub?
Unfortunately the ePub standards committee missed the boat on this one. There is no "standard" for ePub DRM. All currently-available devices use Adobe's DRM mechanism for ePub, but soon we'll have a different DRM mechanism for the B&N nook, and it's conceivable that in a few years we'll have half a dozen different and incompatible DRM systems, all of which will perfectly correctly be able to call themselves "ePub".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Lock in to what?
Amazon for example.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #27
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
No, it's there to make sure that the companies get their restrictions on the ebook's usage enforced. This is largely ineffective against people unwilling to jump through hoops (they'll go to the darknet), unwilling to abide by the restrictions (they'll crack the DRM) and will simply cause problems for the rest of your customers and reduce your customer base to those willing to put up with that or crack the DRM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #28
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A lot of nonsense is being written here about it being illegal to sell or lend eBooks.

Firstly under the law in the UK and US it is not the case that sellers can just sit back and add in any old conditions into their TOS and have them enforced by the law. It just doesn't work that way. And no court has yet made a definitive judgement on the case of these conditions of sale and eBooks. Otherwise Ford could include conditions about only driving on specific quality roads, or only allowing four people in the car. What nonsense.

Secondly Amazon and other sites use a "BUY" button. That in and of itself commits them to selling you the eBook outright.

We however have to be careful about what is meant by sell and lend. If I want to sell you my eBook, then even under the normal accepted and traditional copyright law, I have to delete my own copy. I think that is fair.
In addition if I want to lend you my eBook, I would again need to delete my own copy. When you return it you would need to delete your copy.

Too many people have written all over the web about the 'fact' that it is illegal to sell/lend. No law makes such a statement. No law deals with eBooks or text in an electronic format. The closest it has come is referring to software and software games. Even in this area no court has made a definitive judgement about selling on purchased software. There has been a mix of decisions, some of which have gone completely in favour of the customer.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #29
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
saoir, many people already know this but you've hit the nail right on the head... for some reason, with electronic media, people want sell/lend to include retaining one's own copy... after all it's only ones and zeroes...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #30
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The last court ruling of which I'm aware has held that the "First Sale Doctrine" does NOT apply to "software" and that when you buy software you are only buying a license. The link I provided below is to the appeal of the famous Autodesk ruling that said the "First Sale Doctrine" did apply. The original ruling happened back in 2008 and the latest ruling was about 4 months ago.

As far as I know there has been no ruling specifially applied to ebooks, but IMHO the "software" ruling will apply to ebooks as well.

I'm not saying I agree with this ruling. I'm just saying what the lastest ruling was.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote