Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Battery depleting completely overnight after 3.1.1

My Kobo is useless lately. One day the 3.1.1 update appeared and it started making problems. I have to turn it off completely and even then when I turn it back on 25% of the battery is gone. This didn't happen with 3.1.0 and I'm starting to hate this. Anybody with the same problem?
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Yes! Not sure what is going on. I thought it was me. Haven't had time to investigate further, but you are not alone! Wi-Fi is off.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Wow, I'm running 3.1.1 on my Glo and I do find the battery drains a bit faster than it used to, but nothing that dramatic.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have two Aura HDs, both running 3.1.1. One seems to be holding a charge, the other is not. The one that won't hold a charge is down to 63% after two days of not using it (it has been in sleep mode for two days). The other is still at 100%. As far as I can tell, the settings are exactly the same.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
icallaci
Guru

I have restored both my Aura HDs to FW 3.1.0 to see if that helps with the battery issue. I will report back tomorrow with results.
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
lanzorg
lanzorg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I have the same version of firmware and when I add books, my wifi doesn't work anymore (Something wrong error). I reset 4 times to verify. So if I want to use the wifi (needed for me to read my rss feeds) I must not put ebooks on my Kobo Aura.
lanzorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
icallaci
Guru

Even with FW 3.1.0, one Aura HD will not hold a charge, while the other one stays at 100%. (I attribute my not noticing this to how quickly FW 3.1.1 followed 3.1.0.) Last night I charged both Aura HDs to 100%. This morning, one is at 100%, while the other is at 81%. Their settings are identical, the books on them are identical. Not sure how to track this down.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Even with FW 3.1.0, one Aura HD will not hold a charge, while the other one stays at 100%. (I attribute my not noticing this to how quickly FW 3.1.1 followed 3.1.0.) Last night I charged both Aura HDs to 100%. This morning, one is at 100%, while the other is at 81%. Their settings are identical, the books on them are identical. Not sure how to track this down.
It could just be a difference in the battery meter calibration..My Glo drops very quickly from 100% to about 90%, but then it can sit at about 65% for days. Others report their Glo stays at 100% for longer. I get very good battery life overall, 40-50 hours reading time per charge, but if I judged it based on how quitkcly it dropped from 100% to 90% then it would look terrible.

Do either of the Aura HDs have an external microSD card? When I first got my Glo the battery drained after about 8-10 hours reading, but after replacing the card with another one it was fixed.

Do either of the Aura Hds have covers that could touch the screen when they are closed? That has been a cause of batery drain during sleep mode in the past, but I don't know if it still affects current firmware.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My Mini spontaneously discharged today. Charged before going out, read on transit for about 35 minutes. Turned it on on the way home and zero charge. It is firmware 2.8.1.

Oh well, always a delight.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
icallaci
Guru

It could be all those things, GeoffR, but it wasn't happening before this FW update. I always have one fully-charged reader ready to go after I finish a book, which allows me to charge the other one back up, but when I opened the supposedly "fully charged" one (after 2 days), it was down to 63%, which has never happened before. I am trying a couple of things (not letting it go to sleep with the sleep cover, changing the amount of time before it goes to sleep automatically, etc.), but since I have to try things one at a time, it is a slow process. Something is definitely up, though. (And all of my books are on an SD card in both readers, which could very well be the culprit.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It could just be a difference in the battery meter calibration..My Glo drops very quickly from 100% to about 90%, but then it can sit at about 65% for days. Others report their Glo stays at 100% for longer. I get very good battery life overall, 40-50 hours reading time per charge, but if I judged it based on how quitkcly it dropped from 100% to 90% then it would look terrible.

Do either of the Aura HDs have an external microSD card? When I first got my Glo the battery drained after about 8-10 hours reading, but after replacing the card with another one it was fixed.

Do either of the Aura Hds have covers that could touch the screen when they are closed? That has been a cause of batery drain during sleep mode in the past, but I don't know if it still affects current firmware.

Last edited by icallaci; 12-26-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
It could be all those things, GeoffR, but it wasn't happening before this FW update. I always have one fully-charged reader ready to go after I finish a book, which allows me to charge the other one back up, but when I opened the supposedly "fully charged" one (after 2 days), it was down to 63%, which has never happened before. I am trying a couple of things (not letting it go to sleep with the sleep cover, changing the amount of time before it goes to sleep automatically, etc.), but since I have to try things one at a time, it is a slow process. Something is definitely up, though. (And all of my books are on an SD card in both readers, which could very well be the culprit.)
My AuraHD is on FW 3.1.1 and all my ebooks (~7000) are on the external uSD card. My battery has not been experiencing these issues. I only have a few .png files that I allow Nickel to manage. The files on my external SD card are behind a hidden folder, so Kobo's Nickel User Interface won't see them.

Just because I seem to have lucked out, doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist. I could just as easily say that the fact that I don't make much use of the KoboReader.sqlite database means that I am seldom effected by the things that impact it and cause problems with the device slaved to it. I would assume that many of the changes made by a firmware update are related to the database and how it interacts with the device. It would be telling if going to "Settings">"Accounts">"Kobo" and Logging out corrected the problem.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
icallaci
Guru

Hmmmm... good idea. Once I see if unchecking "sleep and wake automatically" does anything, I will try logging out. Thanks. I'll report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
My AuraHD is on FW 3.1.1 and all my ebooks (~7000) are on the external uSD card. My battery has not been experiencing these issues. I only have a few .png files that I allow Nickel to manage. The files on my external SD card are behind a hidden folder, so Kobo's Nickel User Interface won't see them.

Just because I seem to have lucked out, doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist. I could just as easily say that the fact that I don't make much use of the KoboReader.sqlite database means that I am seldom effected by the things that impact it and cause problems with the device slaved to it. I would assume that many of the changes made by a firmware update are related to the database and how it interacts with the device. It would be telling if going to "Settings">"Accounts">"Kobo" and Logging out corrected the problem.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
icallaci
Guru

Ugh, nothing is working for me. Battery loses ~25% overnight. I am reverting to FW 2.8.1 so I can READ, rather than fiddling with this all day, every day. I hope Kobo can figure this out, although it seems so random, I doubt it. Good luck, everyone.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
icallaci
Guru

So yesterday I reverted to FW 2.8.1b, charged both Aura HDs to 100%, and let them sit overnight. Lo and behold, they are both at 100% charge today. With FW 3.1.0 and 3.1.1, one of them would lose approximately 25% of its charge overnight. So there is definitely something going on with FW 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 that causes some Kobos to discharge their batteries, but I don't have a clue what could cause that kind of random problem. I tried removing the SD card, disallowing automatic sleep and wake functions, logging out to generate a new database... I give up. I hope Kobo finds it, because 2.8.1b has its own issues, but it's better than needing to recharge every two or three days.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
So yesterday I reverted to FW 2.8.1b, charged both Aura HDs to 100%, and let them sit overnight. Lo and behold, they are both at 100% charge today. With FW 3.1.0 and 3.1.1, one of them would lose approximately 25% of its charge overnight. So there is definitely something going on with FW 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 that causes some Kobos to discharge their batteries, but I don't have a clue what could cause that kind of random problem. I tried removing the SD card, disallowing automatic sleep and wake functions, logging out to generate a new database... I give up. I hope Kobo finds it, because 2.8.1b has its own issues, but it's better than needing to recharge every two or three days.
sorry, out of curiosity, did you do a factory reset before "downgrading" your firmware version?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote