Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
Lukey
Lukey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Exclamation n00b needs help with Paperwhite Screensavers

I apologise for being such a noob in this area.

I have a brand new Kindle Paperwhite. I have never even used one before but would love to customise the screensavers.

I have successfully jailbroken my Kindle, but now I am unsure of how to continue.

Could someone please make a step by step on what I need to do? In noobish format. I have downloaded all the suggested files such as USBnetwork, however, the Readme file put me off a little.

Please
Lukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
1) You don't need USBnetwork.
2) See the information here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474

If you successfully installed the jailbreak, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

In the post to which I linked, there are two attached files. If you only wish to use your own custom images as screensavers, you only need to install kindle-linkss-0.7.N.zip.

If you want the cover of the last open book to be used as the current screensaver, then both files need to be installed one at a time. Just follow the instructions in that post. If there is something you don't understand, ask away.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
crepewolf
Member Retired
crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.

Hello,
I am having the same issue that Lukey have. I have followed the post linked but has not yet been succesfull. I want to have a custom photo, and I can see that inside de Linkss-folder things are happening. I still get the default Kindle-photo though...

I have now first installed the jailbreak and the hack in 5.3.1 and later in 5.3.3(along with rescuepack etc)

Why doesnt it work?
crepewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Erm Special Offer Kindle?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
crepewolf
Member Retired
crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.

I have no Special offers on screen saver, if that is what you mean, but I do have like recommended content that I can switch off? Is my device not compatible?
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just wondered if it might be a special Offers kindle. (That would make it fail)

AFAIK all devices are compatible with that modification. (NON-SO ones)

Quote:
To change your custom screensavers, plug your Kindle to your computer via USB, and upload them to the linkss/screensavers folder that has been created by the hack. You'll have to restart your Kindle in order to take your new screensavers into account and prevent the framework from going crazy. To that effect, you can either use the autoreboot feature, or simply do a full restart of your Kindle.
so you did that then?

Last edited by twobob; 02-19-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohenden View Post
I have no Special offers on screen saver, if that is what you mean, but I do have like recommended content that I can switch off? Is my device not compatible?
You can turn off the recommended content.

Is you device compatible? YES

Better question, are your screen saver images you are trying to use compatible with your device?

Post the technical details of one of the screensavers you are trying to use.

If your not sure about what I ask for above - just attach one of your screen savers to your next post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
crepewolf
Member Retired

Yes.
- I have rooted on my kindle
- I have installed linkss
- i have put a png file inside(following the requirements
= nothing is happening, same old Kindle screensaver

Should i put a blank file with a spesific name in the linkss folder for custom screensaver? I have honestly no clue what I am doing wrong. I follow the tutorial precisely and still no result....
Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
crepewolf
Member Retired

The picture I use is from the http://www.reddit.com/r/kindlescreensavers

This picture
http://i.imgur.com/OKiNN.png
Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you restart the Kindle?
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
twobob

hmm.. http://i.imgur.com/OKiNN.png looks okay... 1024 x 758

MEH. Sorry have to bow out at this point. No PW to test on. sorry.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
crepewolf
Member Retired

restarted with autoreboot first, then did a full restart. Still no result...

Do not misunderstand, I have followed tutorials like this a quadrillion times, and I do not understand why this one fails me.... Is the root not working properly?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
crepewolf
Member Retired

Is there perhaps any firmware version that you guys recommend? I am currently at 5.3.3
Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
twobob

AFAIK that totally should work... :sadface:
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohenden View Post
Is there perhaps any firmware version that you guys recommend? I am currently at 5.3.3
I have the PW with 5.3.3 jail broken. I also use the screen savers hack and have had no issues. I am not sure where things have gone wrong with your PW, but I was wondering if you have installed the kindlet and developers certificates modules on your JB PW? I can't remember if that would make a difference or not....
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote