Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
auriel
Enthusiast
auriel began at the beginning.

Device: Black Original Kobo; iPad 2; Black Kobo Touch
Not sure if I should buy another Kobo

I currently have a first generation Kobo reader, same style as the current Wifi model but not Wifi enabled. It still works fine, but it's very basic. I have been reading a lot on my iPad with the Kobo app because I enjoy collecting the Reading Life badges and how I can buy books and instantly download without synching to a computer via USB. The iPad tends to become a little cumbersome after a while and can be awkward to hold while reading in bed, not to mention the lack of e-ink can be hard on the eyes.

Yesterday, my Mom upgraded her original Kobo to a Kobo Touch. It was my job to set it up and move all of her books over. Within 30 seconds of having the KT in my hands, I realized just how much sharper, faster and prettier the KT is than the original.

I think I want to buy a Kobo Touch so I can have the connectivity, e-ink and awards, but I don't know if I want to get rid of my other Kobo. I guess I'm just looking for some advice from any of you that have more than one device - how do you use them? Do you use only one device? Do you use more than one at a time? Use each for different things or types of books?

I would really appreciate any insight you could offer

Last edited by auriel; 02-12-2012 at 11:07 PM.
auriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
I have a Kobo Vox, and I simply couldn't imagine not being able to buy books on the device, sync over Wifi, etc. Used Kobos seem to have good resale value, at least in Canada where Kobo's now the market leader, so your net cost of buying a new Kobo and selling the old one on UsedStoon.com would likely be pretty small.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
I will not buy another kobo ereader for the following reasons...

1. screen problems that the store manager of Chapters assured me were bugs, but never entirely went away
2. Just like Sony (actually worse) a much smaller book selection compared to Kindle
3. Just like the tiny Sony model, my Kobo Touch died after some months - AND I was told no warranty because it was too long sold, even though I had a receipt.
4. I hardly ever used it after the initial novelty wore off, because I found having to connect to a computer a hassle

Maybe all e-readers are considered disposable?
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Sounds to me like you should just go ahead and buy yourself a Kobo Touch, enjoy it and not worry about not using your old Kobo. I don't know if you can sync the two of them, but if so you could keep it for things like commuting on a busy train/bus, keeping it in your bag all the time so it's there if ever needed, reading in the bath or toilet! I.e. it's for use when there's a chance it may get damaged, keeping your lovely new Kobo Touch, well lovely and new :-)

As for e-readers being disposable, that seems to be the opinion for most electronic gadgets these days. The support Amazon offer for the Kindle is the thing that gives it the edge over other e-readers though. Generally no questions asked within a year of purchase and charging $65 to replace older Kindles with a new one seems reasonable enough to me too. Though if two needed replaced just after 1 year, I'd be thinking of buying a Kobo or Sony instead!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
And most ereaders keep their value quite well, so there's always the option of selling the old one on eBay.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Kobo Touch is the choice I'd recommend
The new screen is better than the old Kobo
The latest firmware is getting very good
It can read mobi as well as ePub and others
It's the most uncontrolled, open of all eReaders

Though I may be biased because I've got one !
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would hold off on a new Kobo Touch until a new firmware has been out for a while (and the reports are favorable). The current one is very flaky (for me).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote