Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Cover Missing

I "purchased" several free books from Amazon today; when I added them to calibre one did not have a cover and calibre cannot find a cover from any source.

I have generated a cover using the image from Amazon but am curious why the Amazon cover is not found by calibre.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I "purchased" several free books from Amazon today; when I added them to calibre one did not have a cover and calibre cannot find a cover from any source.

I have generated a cover using the image from Amazon but am curious why the Amazon cover is not found by calibre.
DRM ? Calibre can't open those books to get any included cover.
GIGO (metadata sources). If a book has an ID assigned, it tries for covers using the ID.
If no ID is assigned, it looks at a lot more possibilities.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No DRM and all other books I added did have their covers.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Amazon does not seem to be returning any metadata results at the moment, including covers, so if the book is only on Amazon (or it's searching on an ASIN as an identifier) you will get no results. I keep forgetting to open a query about this issue, but I suspect Amazon is tightening up their API again.

If deleting the ASIN doesn't help in returning results from other sources, you can get one manually from Amazon as follows:

Go to the book's product page
Right-click the cover - "open image in new tab" or the equivalent for your browser
In the new tab, go up to the address bar. The last part of the url will be the image name in the following format:
imageinfostring.bunchofnonsensenumbersandsuch.jpg

Delete the stuff in between the dots, and the second dot so that you have
imageinfostring.jpg. Hit enter.

Now you will have the full image without the Amazon add-ons. Right-click the image, copy, then go back to the calibre edit metadata window, right-click in the cover box and paste.

It's a pain, but it works when Amazon has the only cover image for a particular book.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
GeckoFriend
Guru

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that didn't work for me. When I right-click on the cover image there is no option similar to save image in new tab or window, only save link. Saving the llink doesn't help as it doesn't show the cover.

Obviously this is a minor issue but it just seems strange all other books had their cover.
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Darn. Sorry it didn't work for you. I'm using Chrome so I don't know which other browsers have that option.

Sometimes the books just come without covers. I guess the authors/publishers don't attach the cover to the file properly. It's annoying, but it's even more annoying now, when the Amazon metadata / cover downloads don't seem to be working either.

Wish I could have been more helpful.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that didn't work for me. When I right-click on the cover image there is no option similar to save image in new tab or window, only save link. Saving the llink doesn't help as it doesn't show the cover.

Obviously this is a minor issue but it just seems strange all other books had their cover.
Just drag the image you see to the old (default) cover displayed in Calibre (either the Metadata editor or the book Details)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
GeckoFriend
Guru

Thank you! That does work better than generating a cover using the image.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
GeckoFriend
Guru

Today calibre found the Amazon cover.