Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Rolling it out incrementally is easier, at least technically. However, can you imagine the outcry and support calls from folk who can't install the update right away?
But that kind of outcry would be misplaced if an incremental roll out was announced ahead of time.

Apple should've warned us that they were incapable of handling the traffic. Their failure to do so rightly earns them any condemnation heading their way.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #62
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I actually surprised at the people who complained about the 4S. Given the upgrades: dual-core processor, Siri, better camera, adding 32GB/64GB sizes, and an upgraded OS, Apple could have changed the shape slightly, slapped an iPhone 5 label on it, and everyone would be happy. But since they kept the body and just added an S to the name, parts of the apple community are in a tizzy.
Not to mention the doubled download speed with dual antennas and the fact that two cell-phone formats hardware is in the device so you aren't locked in any longer. Doesn't an S look very much like a 5?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #63
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Others apps are having minor issues too so it's a matter of time, maybe a few weeks, for Stanza devs to address that issue and release a new version.
Seeing as Amazon bought out Stanza, can't see them putting much effort into it.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #64
schnecki
schnecki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Just running the update. We'll see ...
schnecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #65
schnecki
schnecki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
And it worked!
(Using my iPhone to write this )
schnecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #66
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But that kind of outcry would be misplaced if an incremental roll out was announced ahead of time.

Apple should've warned us that they were incapable of handling the traffic. Their failure to do so rightly earns them any condemnation heading their way.
Have you visited any of the carrier forums? I'm on the AT&T forum and there are a lot of folks raising hell because they didn't get their iPhone 4S yesterday. I've been told the Sprint forums looked like the Jerry Springer show.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Have you visited any of the carrier forums? I'm on the AT&T forum and there are a lot of folks raising hell because they didn't get their iPhone 4S yesterday. I've been told the Sprint forums looked like the Jerry Springer show.
I don't visit carrier forums, because I don't have any desire to own a smartphone. I have no idea what Apple promised in regards to the iPhone. All I know is that they failed to deliver iOS 5 to me on the promised date.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehlat View Post
Is there ANY way to revert to 4? I'm about ready to scream.
Why? Not having Stanza is a good thing. That buggy software should have died years ago.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #69
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Installed it on my iphone 4 this morning. It took about an hour, start to finish.

The phone seems a little faster in some apps.
I've run into problems putting it on my iPad. Basically, all my logins & passwords are gone.

I've decided to do a wipe & start out fresh. Lots of junk on my iPad...lemons, lemonade...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #70
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
What does Apple expect me to do, order one or something?!! I thought they were magical. Isn't it supposed to magically appear on my desk?

Just for that, I'm not buying another iphone until I do!
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #71
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The update killed all of the Audible content I had downloaded, so I had to delete and re-download. It may be my imagination, but it seems the battery is draining faster (even when not downloading). I don't have iCloud turned on.

Not sure why people are talking about having to load apps on again & reorganize. Upgrade backed everything up and restored it, didn't have to do any of that (except for the new iOS5 apps).

Still don't know what this is going to do for me. I'll still need to use iTunes for most of what I needed it for before.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-16-2011 at 02:20 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #72
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Well,

I visited a Mall today and played with two phones: Samsung Galaxy SII and iPhone. I honestly can say that I would not buy the Apple one. I am quite happy with my iPad and the new iOS5, but the new iPhone did not impressed me at all.

Good resolution, portable, but besides that, not much for that price.

The Galaxy SII was really fast, nice and big screen but not too big! Similar battery life (based on I was told by both sales representatives) and it was very fast browsing Internet (remember, same Mall, same coverage area, different providers of course)

I don't want to make this thread a cellphone war or something like that, but do not understand the whole iPhone fever.

Disclaimer: I own two iPads, not a fanboy of any systems though! I just love technology.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 AM   #73
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Meh... not updating until there's an untethered jailbreak as I already got used to the multitasking gestures on my ipad1 and on top of that... Stanza! My love's not really getting updated and testing other apps and rearranging my library would be a massive headache >_<
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #74
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
I don't want iCloud (privacy), so don't care about that. I had problems with my 3rd gen Touch as far as Apple ID went (it insisted that I have that in the form of an e-mail address, and wouldn't accept my primary, so I had to use a secondary address), and IT BROKE STANZA!!!! Now desperately trying to figure out what reader will cope with my ePub collection and use Calibre's server to load.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #75
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It may be my imagination, but it seems the battery is draining faster (even when not downloading).
That's because of the dual-core CPU.

iPhone 4S
Talk time:
Up to 8 hours on 3G
Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)

Standby time:
Up to 200 hours

iPhone 4
Talk time:
Up to 7 hours on 3G
Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)

Standby time: