Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Kindle vs Nook Color

The Kindle 3 faces competition from a Nook Color that is more Android Tablet than Dedicated eReader.

[snip]

Kindle 3 is the best device of its type (dedicated reading device) and the Nook Color is, rather surprisingly, the best device of its type (tablet you can also read books on). As long as you prioritize your needs and pick the one that better suits your top needs you can’t go wrong with your Kindle vs Nook Color decision.

For the full article, follow this link.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-19-2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: cut down to excerpt format
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I had my iPad as an only ereader, for a few months, in between iLiad and Kindle. The reading-experience of everything was good on it, especially for the PDF and magazines.
But overall, for quiet reading and reflecting, the iPad or any other colourscreen with lots of options, would be too much of an experience for me. I just kept reading-browsing-reading......

So I'm fine with the Kindle for reading; would love to see the frontcover as first page, and am waiting for a better PDF-performance.
I don't think I would buy a Nook with colourscreen.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If you can get access to the underlying device, then as an Android tablet, you could install the Kindle app on it, don't know how happy B&N would be about that
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have my desktop computer. I enjoy it. I watch movies, read the news, listen to music, write, and do all the other computer-based activites that interest me. Then I have a laptop for when I travel or must work away from my home for some reason.

But, I'm a compulsive reader so I bought a Kindle. Well, two actually. I know it's a shock but I use the Kindles to, well, read. That's all. That's all I want to do with it.

Those who want a one toy does everything experience have options. Enjoy the optio9ns but quit trying to turn Kindle into another toy. Let readers have at least one ereader.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Nook 2 is a totally different device then an e-reader. It has an LCD screen and lousey battery life. Not to mention the weight. It is an apple vs oranges comparison.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
the color nook is simply too small for my needs. The books I need that require color will be all but useless on a small 7" screen.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Android on tablets equals garbage. It might be months or years before Google gets it right and before they allow the App Store on a tablet. Until then, no sale. After then, probably no sale as Android really is not a very good OS.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You might want to move the ireaderreview link to the top of your post. I started reading it and had some major deja vu since it's nearly everything he posted on his blog.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:39 AM   #9
fairy_dreams
fairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I feel like I would get a headache if I read on the Nook Color as much as I read on my K3!

LCD screens make me shudder...(except for my computer of course )
fairy_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
That was a good read. Thanks for posting it. I am still not clear about what the market for the Nook Color really is.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
jimbob7
jimbob7 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I understand the LCD being a major hit to the nook color's readability, but what about its other features as an e-reader? As a student, I generally read articles, pdf's, and academic books. That being said, I want/need to take notes alongside and remember quotes and ideas. With the touch-screen on the nook color, I can do all of those things instantly. If I need a definition or want to insert a note, I can do so simply by touching the screen. Having used a kindle, I know that similar things can be done but they take light-years. Plus, as mentioned, with the nook color I can open a document and take notes, revise papers, etc while reading. It seems that e-reader features like this are being overlooked.
jimbob7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob7 View Post
I understand the LCD being a major hit to the nook color's readability, but what about its other features as an e-reader? As a student, I generally read articles, pdf's, and academic books. That being said, I want/need to take notes alongside and remember quotes and ideas. With the touch-screen on the nook color, I can do all of those things instantly. If I need a definition or want to insert a note, I can do so simply by touching the screen. Having used a kindle, I know that similar things can be done but they take light-years. Plus, as mentioned, with the nook color I can open a document and take notes, revise papers, etc while reading. It seems that e-reader features like this are being overlooked.
ummmm....either study harder or read more SF...hehehehe...a "light year" is a unit of distance not rate. hehehehe....just teasing because I know what you mean and people make that gaff all the time.

BTW, I would not be too certain about the note taking and such in the Nookcolor just yet. Give it some time to see where it goes. I would put more faith in the larger format readers from Pocketbook IQ as they really are focusing on the education segment in their home country of Ukraine. And they too have a 7" color LCD reader for about half the price, $140, than the NookColor. They are using Android 2.0.

I am not saying the NookColor is not a neat option, it might be a nice size for taking notes, but recent developments in another interest of mine have me questioning everything about devices anymore and no longer assuming what would seem logical. Still, the direction B&N seems to be heading is certainly interesting.

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-30-2010 at 10:35 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
1. Kindle 3 and Nook Color are completely different devices. Kindle 3 is the best dedicated reading device and Nook Color is, unexpectedly, the best Android Tablet under $300 and a passable eReader.
2. Nook Color doesn’t come out until November 17th - So this Kindle vs Nook Color review is based on information and photos provided by B&N.
I'm having a problem with all the praise being heaped on the Nook Color when nobody has any hands-on experience with it yet. How do we know it's any better than the Velocity Micro Cruz tablet, the Augen Book or the Pandigital Novel right now? When it finally comes out it could have just as many issues as the Pandigital and the Augen.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
I still cannot see what use I might have for a tablet...I guess if I did not already have a netbook, a smartphone and a Kindle, I might, though!
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
Secretlyowned
Secretlyowned began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3, Nook Classic (previously Sony PRS-600BC)
I'll wait until after the release to look more into it..=] Right now, I don't think so..the glare on the original Nook's touchscreen bothers the crap out of me!
Secretlyowned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle vs nook color, nook color, nookcolor