Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
What's coming in the next Generation of Readers?

I've had a Cybook Gen3 since the original shipment and I'm about ready to move on up to something newer. I'm looking for a slightly larger form factor, I'd like to go up to the 8.x inch design but with minimal border to minimize the overall unit size. I'm mainly converting my books to html these days so the format wars are pretty insignificant. I'd like it to be fairly light, sturdy and have good right handed ergonomics for page flipping. Keyboard and 3G access are not necessary.

I know Irex announced a new reader that seems to be up my alley but there's no date on it and no price. Does any other company have an upcoming product that falls into the same range?
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Sony has a seven inch device coming
Astak a 9.7 inch -- this is from Jinke so it should be carried by others such as Bebook
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Sony has a seven inch device coming
Astak a 9.7 inch -- this is from Jinke so it should be carried by others such as Bebook
I'm hoping that the 9.7" device from Jinke has the current ADE bugs fixed before it's released. That would be a deal breaker if not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The next significant improvement should be eInk with a plastic substrate rather than glass, which will make the screens much. much more robust - especially important in larger devices.

The only large-screen eInk devices at the moment both screens with glass substrates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
I've had a Cybook Gen3 since the original shipment and I'm about ready to move on up to something newer. I'm looking for a slightly larger form factor, I'd like to go up to the 8.x inch design but with minimal border to minimize the overall unit size.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The next significant improvement should be eInk with a plastic substrate rather than glass, which will make the screens much. much more robust - especially important in larger devices.

The only large-screen eInk devices at the moment both screens with glass substrates.
Supposedly Jinke is going with the flexible screen for the 9.7" which is why it's not yet out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Most of the large screen devices we are sure about are in the E-book Reader Matrix: Larger Devices. I took out the Hanlin V9 recently, because the specs were so clearly out of date. There is little doubt that Jinke and Netronix will be releasing devices with 9.7" screens as soon as the "FlexiScreen" is available from PVI.

Pocketbook showed an 8" prototype recently, see Video from IFA 2009: PocketBook 360 and 302 (touchscreen, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPRS...). Most of their hardware is from Netronix.

The PocketBook 302 (6" E-book Reader Matrix) is a good indicator of where high-end devices are likely headed, and most 8" and 9.7" devices will be high end because of their screen cost. It will have a touch screen, MicroSD/SDHC, USB host (memory stick or keyboard), USB 2.0 (charging), 3.5mm stereo, Bluetooth, WiFi, 3G/GPRS. Essentially every hardware bell and whistle you can think of.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Demented
Connoisseur

I just got an update from Irex on the release of the 8.1 inch model. Their public relations manager replied to my comment on their blog with a "Winter 2010". So it's been pushed back until at least Q1 2010.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
whiteorca
whiteorca began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
IMHO, I'd just like it to have a few things:

color e-ink, on al larger screen
Better .pdf reflowing
A really true, tried, and throughly tested companion software
whiteorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
oh man, i think you have to gonna wait a long time for this or to spend a lot of money

i think this will not come until mid 2011
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Plastic Logic is supposted to be coming out with a device (perhaps associated with Barnes & Noble) early next year:

http://www.plasticlogic.com/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
I just got an update from Irex on the release of the 8.1 inch model. Their public relations manager replied to my comment on their blog with a "Winter 2010". So it's been pushed back until at least Q1 2010.
"Winter 2010" sounds like Q4 2010 to me!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
Demented
Connoisseur

I'd believe that if it was just iRex involved. B&N won't put up with another year behind the amazon curve. It will be out in Q1 or they will go with another manufacturer.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I believe the next generation will be upgraded from the current ones with more internal memory and probably a built-in speaker to beep when you push a button. Might include a "belongs to" sticker too.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I believe the next generation will be upgraded from the current ones with more internal memory and probably a built-in speaker to beep when you push a button. Might include a "belongs to" sticker too.

and any colour you like as long as its black
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I already added my own "belongs to" sticker to my 505 so there!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote