Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Revisiting your youth

I've been buying and rereading books from my younger days. Francis Burnett's books, Lewis Carroll, Lloyd Biggle, The Dark is Rising series, Heinlein's Juveniles, Georgette Heyer, ect. Right now I'm revisiting Andre Norton. A lot of those I enjoyed in Jr High and younger are still good reads.
Anyone else revisiting their youth?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Not for my own reading, but I am reading my daughter The Phantom Tollbooth.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I do this quite often. I own and regularly reread books like Heinlein's "Tunnel In the Sky" and "Time for the Stars."

As well as Niven/Pournelle's "The Mote In God's Eye" which I still think is one of the best portrayals of aliens, ever.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Anyone else revisiting their youth?
I'm not revisiting. I'm still there.

For some reason, I have the urge to re-re-re-re-read books I already read 15-20 years ago. My current re-read of the Shannara series is my 5th. (2x Dutch paperback, 2x English paperback, now English e-books.) I must have read The Lord of the Rings + Appendices, the Hobbit and The Silmarillion at least 10 times since 1998 (in English; I also read it twice in Dutch). I read all the Eddings books once in Dutch paperback, twice in English paperback, and Elenium and Tamuli have been re-read as ebooks last year. The Belgariad, Malloreon, and other Eddings books are on the TBR list (again), also as e-books. Same with some Stephen King books: once Dutch, once English, once e-books. Last year, I read IT for the 3th time in English.

Yeah... I've been re-re-re-re-re-re-reading for almost 20 years, and since this year, I've decided to stop it. I managed to replace my entire library with e-books, and after i've re-read everything (started in 2012) as an e-book, I'm not going to re-read again. Time for some new stuff.

Well... maybe Lord of the Rings. I just MUST read that book once every 1-2 years or so, and then do a movie marathon.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-07-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I re-read A Wrinkle in Time and Something Wicked This Way Comes once a year. It's always a joy.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I grew up on Heinlein .
More often than not, it is books from the 60's and 70's that get frequently reread
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Not a lot of stuff from my youth. I still reread Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit every couple of years and some of Heinlein's early stuff (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress seems to be read every couple of years). Remember loving Dune, but haven't reread. Enjoyed The Foundation Trilogy, haven't reread.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Yep, I still read a number of books from my youth. Most seem to hold up well. To an extent, it depends on what you mean by youth. I can't say that I read a huge number of books from pre high school (Hardy Boys, 3 Investigators, ect...), but I do read some of the classics (Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne, Mark Twain, etc...) that I read during that time period. Most of my high school books (when I first started to discover SF&F, Heinlien, Asimov, etc) are considered adult books. I do find that I enjoy reading YA/youth books still (Harry Potter, Tamera Pierce, Heinlien ). I do find myself starting to go back to some of my pre High School reading (Altsheler, for example) these days.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can't take the chance that they're not really as good as I remember them.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I read a lot of books written for youth, but it's because I enjoy them. They are more fun to read because they are more optimistic, more creative, have a sense of adventure, and have a more open narrative. It isn't so much revisiting my youth as it is visiting youth -- may they be the youth of a hundred years ago or of today.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Not real often. It was such a long time ago. I did read Laughing Boy again last year, and Johnny Tremain over last Christmas to a visiting niece.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I read a lot of books written for youth, but it's because I enjoy them. They are more fun to read because they are more optimistic, more creative, have a sense of adventure, and have a more open narrative. It isn't so much revisiting my youth as it is visiting youth -- may they be the youth of a hundred years ago or of today.
Same. I must say that reading about Literary Middle-Aged Ennui bores the everliving daylights out of me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:23 AM   #13
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I do, but more often than not I have to get them on paper, from the used book store.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have always reread books. Even in my youth I would read books again and again. I can not tell you how many times I have read some of the great ones like Dune, Armor, Starship Troopers, The Walking Drum and many many others. Some people like to watch great movies many times over the years, I prefer to do it with good books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I often re-read favorite books. Some I've even gotten in ebook format. The Phantom Tollbooth is one of those. I bought it from Amazon back in Sept. 2012 and still enjoy reading about Milo's adventures. And of course the classics are always a good read. It's like revisiting old friends who I haven't seen for a while.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote