Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
BobKat
Enthusiast
BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Author Sort problem on kindle

What am I doing wrong here. I am getting authors sorted by first name on the kindle.
I have the metadata in calibre set up so the Author(s) field lists First, last and the Author sort field is "Last, first"

Should I have both fields as Last first? or is there something else I am missing?
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
BobKat
Enthusiast
BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I found the check box labeled sort by author under mobi output. Is there a way I can update the files on the device or do I have to reconvert and resend them to device in order to update the author sort?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
You'll have to reconvert and resend the files.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I could be wrong but I think you just need to delete them from the device and resend them to your device for that checked box to take effect, no reconvert required.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
razorsoup
Enthusiast
razorsoup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I had the same problem on my Kindle 4. I used the metadata plugboard found in Calibre preferences to fix it. Here's what my plugboard looks like, second line is the relevant line:

The name still displays as FN LN but sorts by last name on the Kindle.
razorsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could do it with a plugboard, certainly, but there's really no need. Just check the box in the device interface to use "Author Sort" rather than "Author".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
BobKat
Enthusiast

Luckily, the way the collections are set up I was able to send to the device and it didn't affect the collections I made.
I did reconvert all the files. No big deal, set it to mobi to mobi old ... ate dinner and it was just about done after dinner
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
captainreynolds
captainreynolds began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Papewhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could do it with a plugboard, certainly, but there's really no need. Just check the box in the device interface to use "Author Sort" rather than "Author".
HarryT - how does one go about doing this? I've been digging around looking for this option, but can't find it. Any help you could give would be great! Thanks.
captainreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainreynolds View Post
HarryT - how does one go about doing this? I've been digging around looking for this option, but can't find it. Any help you could give would be great! Thanks.
Preferences -> Output Options -> Mobi Output (and/or azw3)-> check the box 'Use Author Sort for Author'
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Except it doesn't seem to work all of the time. At least it hasn't been working for anything I've sent to my Kindle in the last few months.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
captainreynolds
captainreynolds began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Papewhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Preferences -> Output Options -> Mobi Output (and/or azw3)-> check the box 'Use Author Sort for Author'
Thanks!! Karma your way sir. So I need to re-convert everything from mobi to mobi again, correct?

Another thing I'm noticing - the Kindle Paperwhite doesn't use the title sort column, just my titles itself to sort. I sort by author normally, but I have a lot of series that I have put numbers in front of, so they will sort in the correct order for that series. However, it seems to keep ignoring the Title sort metadata I use in calibre. Any way to fix this?
captainreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I use the Manage Series plug-in to manage my series books, then use the Plugboard feature of Calibre to incorporate the series information (name and number) into the title of my books on my Kindles. In the PW, you will see this appear in the 'List View' (not the Cover View). The Plugboard is easy to use and in the sticky 'Techniques for using Plugboards' under the Library Management sub-forum, Kovid uses this case as an example so its pretty much copy and paste. There may be an easier way, but this works well. If in your searching you find something better, please let me know!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainreynolds View Post
Another thing I'm noticing - the Kindle Paperwhite doesn't use the title sort column, just my titles itself to sort.
I'm not sure why you'd expect it to use "Title Sort" - that's a field purely for Calibre.

Quote:
I sort by author normally, but I have a lot of series that I have put numbers in front of, so they will sort in the correct order for that series. However, it seems to keep ignoring the Title sort metadata I use in calibre. Any way to fix this?
You're using Calibre wrongly. Don't mess with "Title Sort". Fill in the series name and number metadata in Calibre, then use a plugboard to prefix the title with this information when the book is sent to the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
cecr
cecr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD & Windows XP
deleted post and and made a new post

Last edited by cecr; 01-15-2013 at 11:47 AM.
cecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
cecr
cecr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD & Windows XP
deleted post and and made a new post

Last edited by cecr; 01-15-2013 at 11:47 AM.
cecr is offline   Reply With Quote