Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
To upgrade or not to upgrade? PRS-350 --> T1

Hi!

I've been trying to decide whether to upgrade to a T1 or stay with my 350 (which I love). I keep bouncing back and forth -- yes, no, yes, no, yes, no.

If I love my 350, will I love the T1 more?

Things about the T1 that appeal to me:
* Bigger screen
* Better font sizing and font choices
* WiFi

Things about the T1 that give me pause:
* Shiny frame (what was Sony thinking?!)
* Reports of crashing and instability ?!?!?
* The new Reader software sounds buggy, so managing book collections might be a problem ???

Thanks from the newbie for any help/advice/opinions!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #2
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I have a 650 and 350. The only two things that make me consider the T1 at all are:

Faster processor - but the only thing that is slow on my 650 is getting to the Home screen.

Better font scaling - some books are either too small or too large a font. But I have found that once I start reading, I can ignore that.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
As owner of an 350 too I see things like this:

- bigger screen: one of the advantages of the 350 may be the smaller screen and thus enhanced portability. 5" readers like the 350 are very seldom now. And: the resolution of the 350 is better (both readers have 600x800 pixels).

- better font sizing: yes, that's an clear advantage of the T1 (fixable cumbersome with PRS+ on the 350)

- font choices: Advantage of the T1 or/and that depends on you. Because the 350 with PRS+ as enhancement allows font choices. But you have to prepare CSS-files therefore (which is simple, but not self explaining).
On the other side: then you will have the possibility to use EVERY font you like. Not just 6 which come right out of the box on the T1. Choosing them is simpler.
For me concerning fonts the T1 would be a backstep. I use MY favorite fonts (Nimbus mod; Caecilia) on the 350 wich are not available on the T1.

- WiFi: Advantage of the T1. I don't need it because I don't have free WiFi. For just reading books it's not neccesary. If you have WiFi (free) in you area, WiFi should be an advantage cause using Wikipedia is possible then.

- shiny plastic frame: THE disadvantage for me and a clear no-go. I guess the frame will be scratched very easily too. The 350 looks better and more valuable for at least me. I like it!

- instability: Sony will fix it, I think. But it seems Sony does not like to produce updates very much... could be a risk to wait for updates. Nobody knows. My personal experiences with Sony concerning software is very, very, very bad!

- New reader software: that should be no disadvantage. Sony software ALWAYS is a horror! I would use another thing like Calibre. Or just no software at all which is possible. You can copy (DRM-free) books directly on the reader. For DRM-books you use ADOBE-software.

- Landscape mode: an advantage of the T1. Much better implemented. But I very seldom would use it. I don't like reading in landscape mode.

My personal decision over the T1:

I stick with the 350. I'll wait for other choices to come.
The only advantage for me would be the better font scaling.

The impulse must having something new is the drive to buy things. Even if they are worse. Personally I satisfy it with regularly updating the reader-firmware with custom builds (which is not self explaining and I guess not very easy for the average user) of PRS+.

For example:

turn pages with a singe tab
locking touch-screen for page turning
screenshot
using folder structures on the reader
changing functions of buttons
allowing font choices
using actual page of the book as standby image (very uesefull)
Future updates may include possibility of user dictionaries

From time to time visible and usefull advantages are delivered by the PRS+ - team in ready-made updates. To install them is very easy for the average.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 10-10-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
The addition of wifi is a huge plus for me. Its just so much more convenient to browse & purchase books from the device. Also the addition of audio makes the upgrade worthwhile, IMO. :-)
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I understand that your 350 did not have audio, but it's not a "new" feature for Sonys as the 650 and 950 had the same thing.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When the T1s were announced and I saw the high gloss finish and curved bottom, I started hunting down another 350 as a spare (finally found one brand new for $129).

* Bigger screen - also means bigger physical size where it would no longer fit in a lot of my jacket/coat pockets and definitely not my tiny purse I use in the summer (I hate carrying a purse, so have one as small as possible to hold the reader and a few other things for when it's too hot to even wear a vest with pockets).

* Better font sizing and font choices - PRS+ already gives me that, any font I want to use that's in existence and custom css files let's me change the size to them all.

* WiFi - not needed for myself, I prefer keeping my library sorted with Calibre on my PC and then sideload to the reader. If I buy anything, I always buy through my PC and sideload to the reader.

* Shiny frame (what was Sony thinking?!) - Deal breaker for me, absolutely hate the high gloss finish. You're right, what were they thinking. I also hate that curved bottom instead of a straight edge like the x50s have.

* Reports of crashing and instability ?!?!? - Agree there too, my 350 has never given me any problems at all, even using PRS+. How can I justify trading that for known problems.

* The new Reader software sounds buggy, so managing book collections might be a problem ??? - Yes again. There's just no way I can see myself liking the T1.

Faster processor... not very fast when the reader keeps locking up and needs to be restarted, so that's not something really important in the scheme of things.

Audio... I can't remember the last time I listened to an ebook, but if I did want to, I have my cell phone, a tiny 1" .mp3 player, and 3 PCs I can listen to them on. Definitely don't need audio on my ereader.

I'm happy I have a spare 350 now (although I would still kill to get one in blue), and I'm not even tempted by the T1.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 10-10-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
As far as I know there is a lack of .rtf or .lrf on the T1 which for me makes me want to think twice about it....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I plan in getting a t1 in addition to my 350. Both have their advantages, and I suppose the worst that can happen is that I decide that I don't like the t1 and end up returning it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone!

Re: PRS+, I've looked into it, and frankly, it scares me to try something like that on my 350. Also, I couldn't understand the instructions for doing your own fonts.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 08-25-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:33 AM   #10
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I would say ask yourself what features most benefit YOU and your general use. If you like your 350, hang with it, at least for a while. Then you can better judge whether T-1 crashing is maybe a bad batch of T1s or all T1s. Hubby's has not frozen once, knock on wood.

The shiny bezel issue will probably be solved shortly, i.e. skins will become available. As for the screen freezes, we'll have to see. Work on support for tags to collections in Calibre is already underway.

At any rate, I'm undecided on T1 color, also on what sort of case I might want, and whether or not I want to skin, so I'm sitting back and waiting for a bit to see how things settle out and what accessories might come available in the way of covers.

But because I really, REALLY wanted a backup reader with touchscreen for proofreading epubs, I picked up a refurb 350 for $85 shipped from SonyStyle yesterday. That will keep me happy for now, because it does have full Calibre support. I'm not sure I'll like the smaller screen, but it will work for my purpose and if I decide I don't care for the smaller screen, I'm quite certain I'll be able to sell it easily enough.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
As for PRS+, I've looked into it, and frankly, it scares me to try something like that on my 350. Also, I couldn't understand the instructions for doing your own fonts.
PRS+ is now easier than ever to install. You simply download the correct file for your reader (it will say 350 in the filename so there's no mistake there), unzip the file, hook up your reader to your PC, and double click the setup.exe file, follow the directions (which are simple) and just wait a few minutes for it to complete. It's pretty much foolproof at this point.

To use your own fonts, create a "fonts" directory in the root of the reader and just copy/paste whichever fonts you want to use. Each font style should have 4 versions of it for normal, italic, normal bold, and italic bold. The fonts can be either .ttf or .otf, both will work fine. If you have bad eyes like me, for some fonts I use only the bold versions for when reading in dim light.

Then put your css file into the database\system\PRSPlus\epub directory, name it pretty much anything you want to identify the font, just be sure the file extension is .css. Below is a sample of one of mine that pretty much changes every book for me (at least I haven't found a book yet that it hasn't changed fonts for). Just make sure the font names are identical including capitalization and spacing. So for this file, the fonts I have located in the font directory are LexiaDaMa.otf, LexiaDaMa-Bold.otf, LexiaDaMa-Italic.otf, and LexiaDaMa-BoldItalic.otf.

You can post if you run into any problems with the .css files and you'll get plenty of help. I don't think anyone has bricked their reader installing PRS+, and there's a way to go back to the Sony firmware if you ever need to, the PRS+ site has the files to do it.

Sample of css file, LexiaDaMa.css:
Spoiler:
@font-face {
font-family: "LexiaDaMa";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa-Bold.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa-Italic.otf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/LexiaDaMa-BoldItalic.otf);
}

body {
}

p {
font-size: 1.0em !important;
text-align: justify !important;
line-height: 100% !important;
text-indent: 1.5em !important;
margin-top: 0.5em !important;
margin-bottom: 0.5em !important;
}

html {
font-family: LexiaDaMa !important;
}

.mainBody {
}

.calibre {
}
Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I understand that your 350 did not have audio, but it's not a "new" feature for Sonys as the 650 and 950 had the same thing.
Yes Sir. But the OP asked about going from the 350 to the T1
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Thanks everyone! I was really excited about the T1 and really, really wanted it to be clearly better than the 350, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I did play with one at Best Buy last week and liked it; maybe I'll go back and play with it a little more.

As for PRS+, I've looked into it, and frankly, it scares me to try something like that on my 350. Also, I couldn't understand the instructions for doing your own fonts.
Yeah if you enjoy you 350 I would just stick with it. If it works fine for reading thats all you need. Not to discount the T1. I think its a great version for anyone who hasnt been able to get ahold of the x50's. I passed on the T1since I already have a 650. I feel the form factor/asthetics non gloss of the 650 is a bit better than the T1.

But I truely do not think that anyone can go wrong with either.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
pssquirrel
ebooknut

@Ripplinger: Thank you so much for posting PRS+ instructions. I think I actually understand it, and you gave me the courage to download the installer. Ack! The installer won't run on a Mac (this is confirmed in the ReadMe file). Not sure where to go from here.

@eSheri: Yes, indeedy, I (the OP) have a 350, so audio would indeed be a new feature for me. And I agree with you, the addition of WiFi is a huge plus -- in fact, it's one of the main reasons I'm tempted by the T1.

@hidari: I wasn't aware the T1 couldn't read .rtf. Thanks for pointing that out. It's a bit of a bummer.

To all who have offered advice: Thanks again! You've been really helpful. MobileRead is great! I'm so glad I found you guys!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I've never owned a Mac, but I'm sure there's a way to do it, there are many users on the forums that have PRS+ installed. I thought there's a way to emulate Windows on a Mac OS for the first time you install it, hopefully a Mac user will post what your steps should be.