Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Footnotes and Backlinks in Sigil?

I recently scanned one of my favorite non-fiction books, OCR-ed it, and made an Epub in Sigil which I later converted to Mobi in Calibre. This book has a lot of footnotes, and I was frustrated that they weren't linked.

I originally used the format of [*1-01] instead of a superscript, because I mistakenly thought I could just highlight it and search for another occurrence of the unique footnote number. That didn't work at all - I'm not sure where I even got the idea that it would.

So today I extrapolated some code to link my footnotes (I don't know HTML coding) and I managed to get them all properly linked. There were probably close to 200 and I tested each one.

On Kindle I will use the back button to return to where I was reading after visiting the footnote. Does the Nook and Nook Tablet have the same back functionality?

I decided to read the ePub version of it on ADE, which as far as I can tell does not have any "back" function... which is very frustrating.

Could someone please tell me in simple terms exactly what I would add to my code to be able to return the the original link location after reading a particular footnote?

Using Sigil, this is the code I used in the chapter text to make it a hyperlink to the appropriate footnote. (This is for the first footnote in the first chapter):
Quote:
<a href="#fn1-01">[*1-01]</a>
And this is what I added at the start of the actual footnote:
Quote:
Thank you in advance for any advice!
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Personally, I recommend using a full path (back) everywhere. If the section gets split, the path gets adjusted. If it is only a current page, relative path (starts with #) it will orphan.

Here is a sample(borrowed from a TOC, but it still applies)
Code:
<p class="indent">Per regulation <a href="../Text/footnotes.html#fn1-01" id="chap1">[*1-01]</a> and others. </p>
Link back to the Anchor point
Code:
<p class="foot"><a class="calibre4" href="../Text/chap1.xhtml#chap1">ONE</a></p>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Personally, I recommend using a full path (back) everywhere. If the section gets split, the path gets adjusted. If it is only a current page, relative path (starts with #) it will orphan.

Here is a sample(borrowed from a TOC, but it still applies)
Code:
<p class="indent">Per regulation <a href="../Text/footnotes.html#fn1-01" id="chap1">[*1-01]</a> and others. </p>
Link back to the Anchor point
Code:
<p class="foot"><a class="calibre4" href="../Text/chap1.xhtml#chap1">ONE</a></p>
Why would the section get split or the path adjusted? Is that something the Kindle or Nook might do? And this may be a very stupid question, but how do I find out what the path is for each of my links?

There are so many, I don't think I will have time to make those changes. (I am moving soon and am in the middle of sorting and packing up my house. I really wanted to get this book done before I move.) Is it very risky to keep my footnote links the way they are?

ETA: When I made the opening post, I looked for a "code" button but couldn't find it, which is why I used quote tags instead. Is there a "code" button, or is that just something you add manually?

Last edited by blue_skies; 05-29-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Why would the section get split or the path adjusted? Is that something the Kindle or Nook might do? And this may be a very stupid question, but how do I find out what the path is for each of my links?

There are so many, I don't think I will have time to make those changes. (I am moving soon and am in the middle of sorting and packing up my house. I really wanted to get this book done before I move.) Is it very risky to keep my footnote links the way they are?

ETA: When I made the opening post, I looked for a "code" button but couldn't find it, which is why I used quote tags instead. Is there a "code" button, or is that just something you add manually?
Advanced Mode: Code is the # mark

Splits happen: because you do a Sigil Split to get a segment smaller (ADE mobile has a 260K segment limit).

Conversion software.
The name of your segment is the one you are editing,
The name of the footnotes may be another file if split (or it may be they are Endnotes).
Sigil will adjust filename changes it makes. Are you trying to save ~12 bytes per link?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
If your links are working ok, then you don't need to add the filename to the link to make it a full path. There is a bug in Sigil that meant if you chose to split your file into smaller pieces the links would break. That won't be a problem in the next release and it sounds like you won't be splitting your files soon anyway.

I don't know if ADE does or does not have a Back button, but if you really want to add reverse links to your footnotes:

First, it doesn't look like you copy/pasted your HTML code correctly since in your description your second line says href instead of id:
Quote:
Code:
And this is what I added at the start of the actual footnote:
Code:
It probably looks like this

Source:
Code:
Destination:
Code:
<a id="fn1-01">[*1-01]</a>
in which case what you need to do is add an ID to every source link, and an href from every destination ID - the ID is the name of the text you want to link to, and href tells the reader what ID to link to. They then become mirror images of each other:

Source:
Code:
<a id="text1-01" href="#fn1-01">[*1-01]</a>
Destination:
Code:
<a id="fn1-01" href="#text1-01">[*1-01]</a>
Of course you can only link your footnote back to one part of the text so you can't use it twice.

Last edited by meme; 05-30-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Removed # in id tags
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Can anybody explain to me why this is in the sigil forum?
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I pretty sure it's specifically to annoy you. It seems to have succeeded.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by huebi View Post
Because the OP uses Sigil to execute the RegEx?

Last time I checked you were not an moderator. Please either sent a PM to a moderator or don't react. This does not help anyone.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Change

Code:
<a id="#fn1-01" href="#text1-01">[*1-01]</a>
into

Code:
(no # in id)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Copy/Paste strikes again. Thanks.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Advanced Mode: Code is the # mark

Splits happen: because you do a Sigil Split to get a segment smaller (ADE mobile has a 260K segment limit).

Conversion software.
The name of your segment is the one you are editing,
The name of the footnotes may be another file if split (or it may be they are Endnotes).
Sigil will adjust filename changes it makes. Are you trying to save ~12 bytes per link?
Thank you Theducks. This book is just for me and won't be going on a mobile device, so hopefully segment splitting won't be an issue. I'm not sure what you mean by 12 bytes per link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
If your links are working ok, then you don't need to add the filename to the link to make it a full path. There is a bug in Sigil that meant if you chose to split your file into smaller pieces the links would break. That won't be a problem in the next release and it sounds like you won't be splitting your files soon anyway.
Oh, that's good to know. Yep, they all work great and I'd rather not change them if I don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
First, it doesn't look like you copy/pasted your HTML code correctly since in your description your second line says href instead of id:

It probably looks like this

Source:
Code:
Destination:
Code:
in which case what you need to do is add an ID to every source link, and an href from every destination ID - the ID is the name of the text you want to link to, and href tells the reader what ID to link to. They then become mirror images of each other:

Source:
Code:
<a id="text1-01" href="#fn1-01">[*1-01]</a>
Destination:
Code:
Yes, sorry I pasted the same code twice. This is what I used at the footnote locations:
Code:
It was really quick and simple to link almost 200 footnotes this way in Sigil, and they all work. Thank you so much Meme for the example of how to backlink. That is perfect for someone like me to be able to understand and use. I really appreciate it!

Apologies to Huebi and anyone else I offended by asking my questions here. I was using Sigil to edit my ebook so I thought this was the appropriate place.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Because the OP uses Sigil to execute the RegEx?

Last time I checked you were not an moderator. Please either sent a PM to a moderator or don't react. This does not help anyone.
Why should i sent this to mod who is in 99% not reacting? This is dumb forum, everyone who is using sigil is asking his HTML/CSS/REGEX questions herte, all this has nothing to do with sigil. Its just cause the people here dont have a clue of what they are doing or are to loo lazy to learn html/css/regex or srach for an appropraite forum. Why not open a forum for all questions? Would be much better.

And the actual mod os onyl shifting thread now and then, he likes to answer and push his answer counter up. Thats what i have the feeling. And i dont care if this is off topic cause 50% of all postings here are off topic.

And believe it or not, i have a lot of PNs saying they agree to me.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
TWO Sigil Moderators are participating in this Sigil (S&R/Linking) thread. One of them is also a Sigil developer (hint: not me ).

This is a borderline Sigil topic as Sigil does not current include any link (code) tools, so we provide additional help. It would not have been misplaced in the EPUB section.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
This is dumb forum, everyone who is using sigil is asking his HTML/CSS/REGEX questions herte, all this has nothing to do with sigil. Its just cause the people here dont have a clue of what they are doing or are to loo lazy to learn html/css/regex or srach for an appropraite forum. Why not open a forum for all questions? Would be much better.
The question is why does it bother you so much? Like it or not, the Sigil and ePub forums are always going to have a lot of overlap. Because:

a) newbies aren't always well versed enough to know what's a Sigil question and what's a general ePub question.
b) the moderators aren't constantly scouring the threads with an overly pedantic eye for borderline posts... especially when actually answering a user's question (when they happen to know it) just might be slightly more important to them than mercilessly wielding the Hammer of Impeccable Relevancy.

Regardless... the walls of MobileRead aren't going to come tumbling down just because the ePub and the Sigil forums (naturally) have blurry borders at times. Get over it. Answer the questions or ignore them—but let the mods worry about where they belong. The Auxiliary Police Force isn't necessary (or helpful).

P.S. Just where, exactly, would you say a question concerning a regular expression (since you brought REGEX up) designed to work with Sigil's F&R engine should be asked? It's not an ePub question and I don't see a PCRE forum anywhere.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Why should i sent this to mod who is in 99% not reacting? This is dumb forum, everyone who is using sigil is asking his HTML/CSS/REGEX questions herte, all this has nothing to do with sigil. Its just cause the people here dont have a clue of what they are doing or are to loo lazy to learn html/css/regex or srach for an appropraite forum. Why not open a forum for all questions? Would be much better.
I did search the forum for information about footnotes and then linkbacks. I found a some threads, including some in the Sigil forum, but none specifically answered the questions I had.

I found a post yesterday that linked this page: http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_links.asp which is what I used to figure out how to do my footnotes in Sigil on my own.

When I was unable to figure out how to linkback by searching the forum and reading other threads, I figured this was a good place to ask.

I may be clueless about HTML, but I am not lazy. My career is in the healthcare field and I am a very busy person, also getting ready to move this weekend. I read a book about HTML about seven years ago, but since I never had an opportunity to apply any of it because it is not my field and I had no use for it at the time, I don't remember any of the specifics. Presently, I just don't have time to devote to learning all aspects of HTML again, when I likely will not use much more than I am using currently.

I just wanted a quick and easy way to fix my links, which Meme was kind enough to supply. I was able to quickly go through my code this morning and fix and test all 180+ footnote links and linkbacks, and they all work perfectly. I am extremely grateful for the help that was generously given here.

I did notice one curiosity when testing my linkbacks - in ADE and Sigil, the linkbacks go right back to the exact place I left off, like a back button. When I use it on my Kindle, it takes me to the beginning of the paragraph it is in, which can be a few Kindle pages back with a long paragraph and large font. Not really a problem or question because I can just use the Kindle back button, but I thought it was weird.