Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Hear! Hear!

I have my disagreements with Jon but there are far worse out there. Believe me.
Ditto. We've had some disagreements but I do believe Jon generally means well. He just has very strong opinions about some topics.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #17
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
And while most non-Apple smartphones have a USBC connector, Motorola's still releasing smartphones on the extremely low-end with microusb.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2020, 02:09 AM   #18
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Ditto. We've had some disagreements but I do believe Jon generally means well. He just has very strong opinions about some topics.
I agree and I have one or two strong opinions as well hence the disagreements.

Last edited by Thasaidon; 09-20-2020 at 02:10 AM. Reason: missing word
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm sure at least some of you remember the pre PS/2 (which introduced the DB-9 connector) serial port good old days, where "all" you had to know were the bit rate, number of data bits, number of start bits, number of stop bits, hardware or software flow control, and whether you needed to use a straight through or null-modem cable and which type cable a given cable was.

But, since you already had to know what you were doing and had all the necessary equipment, it was no big deal to use a device as either a peripheral or a host, something it took a long time for USB to sorta kinda get right.
Companies are STILL designing chips for RS232. I remember the 25 way version with the secondary port implemented. The point is that USB has only replaced it for many applications, not all, and those are not going to be USB-C any time soon. It's gone on consumer laptops, but still needed so USB to RS232 DB9 are still sold. With a USB-A Host connector.

USB still is not peer to peer like Firewire could be. USB-C still doesn't really fix the issue and the USB2Go on phones/tablets was a stupidly implemented kludge as almost none could be charged while in Host mode on the same port, even with a Y cable. USB-C true Hosts and Peripherals are still really two classes of gear.

A recent brand new tablet sensibly has a separate coax power socket to charge. It can charge via its micro USB / USB2Go connector. Unfortunately unlike most phones and tablets (though a phone we have does this), by default the USB port is in charging mode ONLY and the tablet doesn't appear as a USB device on a laptop.You've to go into a menu EVERY time, so stupid. Perhaps it's a security feature.

So apart from the standards of the connectors the software stack and functionality of existing microUSB/USB2Go vary and USB-C is even worse in terms of variable functions because there are more modes and interface on the one connector.

It may become more popular, but it won't be used on every new thing with USB peripheral or host sockets. It's a marketing design that actually fails to solve actual USB issues, instead adding more things to get wrong such as charging up to 20V and 100W, more connecting modes, secondary serial data for power negotiation and a digital video port already less capable than HDMI. There is a micro HDMI port, in use over six years, but a lot of phones and tablets changed to RF "casting" instead, which is much poorer often slows WiFi and most TVs with HDMI don't have it. Also only works on some applications on some phones.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #20
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
A couple of months ago, I bought a Samsung 10e. My first new phone in several years. It has a USB-C port, while everything else is USB Micro. Since it is the only device I have with this connector, I wasn't about to go out and purchase new wires, it isn't necessary. But what I did do was go on Amazon and get these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This way I get to utilize the wires I already have, and have connectors in case I get any more devices that utilize USB-C.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2020, 12:25 AM   #21
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem as pointed out is that we have all kinds of different USB-C ports with all kinds of different abilities. So it's hard to know at times what a given port can or cannot do.
Isn't this a good thing? New features can be added without requiring a new connector. If your hardware/software is older and doesn't support the newer features, is that the connectors fault?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:46 AM   #22
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I have two laptops and and iPad Pro with usb-c, no issues.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Isn't this a good thing? New features can be added without requiring a new connector. If your hardware/software is older and doesn't support the newer features, is that the connectors fault?
But then you may need new cables that look exactly like the existing cables and then how do you differentiate one cable form the other? That makes things more confusing, not less. I'd rather have a one-sided cable then a cable that's easy to plug in but may not work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:07 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
Members are reminded that they are not to discuss who’s on their ignore lists. Please eschew personal comments as well.

Last edited by issybird; 09-21-2020 at 07:11 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #25
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
A couple of months ago, I bought a Samsung 10e. My first new phone in several years. It has a USB-C port, while everything else is USB Micro. Since it is the only device I have with this connector, I wasn't about to go out and purchase new wires, it isn't necessary. But what I did do was go on Amazon and get these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This way I get to utilize the wires I already have, and have connectors in case I get any more devices that utilize USB-C.
I have a set of similar adapters which I tested to determine that I can transfer data fine, as well as Qualcomm fast charging for my phone, using them.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I have two laptops and and iPad Pro with usb-c, no issues.
What do you do when you need to hook it up to a TV for a presentation or read data from USB thumb drive? Or use a traditional cordless mouse or keyboard? Or read an SD Card?

That's my problem with USB-C. All the dongles needed to make a USB-C only laptop compatible with all the external devices you used to hook up to via various built-in ports. I don't see the advantage.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
And while most non-Apple smartphones have a USBC connector, Motorola's still releasing smartphones on the extremely low-end with microusb.
Not just low-end and not just Motorola.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
What do you do when you need to hook it up to a TV for a presentation or read data from USB thumb drive? Or use a traditional cordless mouse or keyboard? Or read an SD Card?

That's my problem with USB-C. All the dongles needed to make a USB-C only laptop compatible with all the external devices you used to hook up to via various built-in ports. I don't see the advantage.
Don't buy a USB-C only laptop? Are there any USB-C only laptops?

Or get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXMNF1X

Or one of the adapters mentioned earlier?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #29
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:

Every single one of those things can be done with a single $30 USB C adapter. Which IMO is handy. One port can do power, a wired keyboard and mouse, ethernet, monitor and a HDD for $30. Thus when I have to use my laptop on the go I don't have to unplug 5 cords but one, similarly when I get back I only have to plug in a single cable and not 5. Way cheaper than the old docking stations that worked with a handful of computers and cost $200+. Some laptops even include a hub, just not fruit flavored ones...

More and more devices are coming with USB C too. I have external HDD/SSDs with USB C that benefit from the faster speeds, USB C keyboards, USB C tablets, USB C game consoles, etc.

USB C ports can also offer video out, power in, faster speeds than USB A ports. It's awesome being able to pick which side the power adapter plugs into on my laptop when I need it. I can also lend friends my power adapter if they need it despite having an entirely different brand of laptop or device.

I've had confusing cases with microUSB too, like cables that can't carry data, only charge.

Yes, manufactuers could be a bit better with labelling, but overall the good far outweighs the bad.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #30
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Not just low-end and not just Motorola.
Who has made a mid-range or flagship phone with microUSB in the past 3 years?
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote