Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is this true? If you strip the DRM, couldn't it be read by Calibre without being converted?
We are not talking stripping DRM. We are talking that this eBook is an Amazon exclusive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We are not talking stripping DRM. We are talking that this eBook is an Amazon exclusive.
Which I eluded to in post 2, and said in post 4, and for some reason you felt the need to repeat. Than you made your post about it could only be read (on non Amazon hardware/apps) if it was converted, which I believe is false.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which I eluded to in post 2, and said in post 4, and for some reason you felt the need to repeat. Than you made your post about it could only be read (on non Amazon hardware/apps) if it was converted, which I believe is false.
Go back an read what I put. You read it all wrong.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Go back an read what I put. You read it all wrong.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #20
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I so recommend. Instead of spoiling it here is a goodreads.com description:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-a-scarlet-sky

Words can not describe how good this is and I normally hate war topics. Based on a true story. A small amount was embellished and made up to fill in gaps but most of the story is completely true. Book is also cheap. $5.99 on Amazon and free on Kindle Unlimited.
It seems this thread got a little side tracked but I just wanted to say that this book is the best I've read in a long time. I also usually ignore books that have to do with war but I had seen this recommended in another thread and since I had just signed up with KU it seemed like a good one to start with. Even the preface grabbed my attention. I see why it's so highly rated and I would also highly recommend.

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Is that part of having a book in KU?
For all but bigger publishers exclusivity is required for KU. In the case of this book however even if it wasn't KU it'd be exclusive since it's from Lake Union Publishing which is an imprint of Amazon Publishing & APub doesn't make their stuff available outside Amazon generally (either for retail or libraries).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-21-2018 at 02:58 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For all but bigger publishers exclusivity is required for KU. In the case of this book however even if it wasn't KU it'd be exclusive since it's from Lake Union Publishing which is an imprint of Amazon Publishing & APub doesn't make their stuff available outside Amazon generally (either for retail or libraries).
That is so very hypocritical. Amazon wants Kindle format eBooks at Overdrive but they won't make their own imprints available at Overdrive.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #23
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshar489 View Post
It seems this thread got a little side tracked but I just wanted to say that this book is the best I've read in a long time. I also usually ignore books that have to do with war but I had seen this recommended in another thread and since I had just signed up with KU it seemed like a good one to start with. Even the preface grabbed my attention. I see why it's so highly rated and I would also highly recommend.

Bergette
This is one of the better books I've read in a while.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #24
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Thanks for the recommendation. I added it to the 25-book ePub omnibus I just created that includes 25 books, in which most of them were on the NYT bestseller lists (all in ePub format). I plan on reading them all in the near future.

Last edited by deback; 03-25-2018 at 07:10 PM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I added it to the 25-book ePub omnibus I just created that includes 25 of the best NYT bestsellers (all in ePub format). I plan on reading them all in the near future.
Is this a case of the author being a "NY times best seller", but not this particular book? Doing a quick search I couldn't find this book on a NY times best seller list.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Amazon exclusives don't make it to the New York Times bestseller list.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #27
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Amazon exclusives don't make it to the New York Times bestseller list.
Which I think illustrates the changing nature of traditional publishing, and possibly the waning of NYT's influence.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Which I think illustrates the changing nature of traditional publishing, and possibly the waning of NYT's influence.
It means that there are not enough people who buy Amazon exclusives to get them in the NYT list. The NYT's list is one a lot of people browse and buy books they see there they may be interested in.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #29
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Is this a case of the author being a "NY times best seller", but not this particular book? Doing a quick search I couldn't find this book on a NY times best seller list.
I think I included two or three books that I wanted to read that weren't on the NYT bestseller lists. What I can tell you is that the file was easily converted to ePub.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Can we please dispense with all discussion concerning Amazon exclusivity in this recommendation thread? It's not at all relevant.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote