Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #61
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Marvin 3.1.1

Thank you, Kris!!

Info from iTunes:

NOTE: I just noticed that the inserted picture (an iTunes screen-capture) does not appear when I read this post on my iPad. It shows up fine when I use my Windows PC. Don't know why ... sorry!

Last edited by MartyTX; 08-17-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Picture not showing on iPad
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #62
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pehkay View Post
Whoah ... an update
Definitely Thank You Kris!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2017, 11:26 PM   #63
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
Can someone please tell me exactly what setting I have ticked that causes Marvin to always start up one page behind where I left off? I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing, but I just can't find it. Every time I turn off the tablet, or hit the home button to do something else, then open the app again, the book I'm reading is one page behind.
It also happens to me frequently. I have a pretty good idea what may be causing this: in closing the book upon finishing your reading (for now), or simply in closing Marvin or switching to a different app, we are likely inadvertently touching the screen which then flips the text one "page" backward, although we no longer notice the page flip as we leave the book/app; the page flip occurs a split-second later. We only notice the page flip when we reopen the book the next time.

I believe this is the cause because Marvin also often flips pages for me – when it shouldn't – when I make highlights, or when I simply tap a word towards one of the edges of the screen (right, left, top, or bottom) to look up its definition, etc.

Other than this concern, I'm posting my reaction to the last few pages of this thread as a separate post, titled The Status of Marvin:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289926

You know, Marvin's development has – once again – slowed down to such a crawl I now only find it necessary to visit MobileRead (or this subsection of it) twice a year or so. And so, see you all later in 2018, I guess. Happy Christmas!
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #64
EmStubbs
EmStubbs began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
It also happens to me frequently. I have a pretty good idea what may be causing this: in closing the book upon finishing your reading (for now), or simply in closing Marvin or switching to a different app, we are likely inadvertently touching the screen which then flips the text one "page" backward, although we no longer notice the page flip as we leave the book/app; the page flip occurs a split-second later. We only notice the page flip when we reopen the book the next time.

I believe this is the cause because Marvin also often flips pages for me – when it shouldn't – when I make highlights, or when I simply tap a word towards one of the edges of the screen (right, left, top, or bottom) to look up its definition, etc.
Probably the same problem as losing position when switching device orientation. I read in portrait mode most of the time, but there are times landscape mode is preferable (e.g. while eating). Every orientation change messes up my current page. It gets worse the farther I am in a chapter. My suspicion is that the current chapter position is stored as a percentage with a fixed number of decimal points (or no decimal points), so whenever Marvin is reading the stored value, it is effectively rounding down and therefore flipping back one or more pages.
EmStubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #65
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmStubbs View Post
Probably the same problem as losing position when switching device orientation.
Hmmm... I actually didn't suspect that these two bugs were related. You may be right, though. But location syncing between devices has much improved in Marvin 3 as opposed to Marvin 2, after Kris transferred it from Dropbox to iCloud, so whatever method Marvin 3 is using now for that purpose seems more precise than previously. It used to be severely off in Marvin 2, but not so much (or not at all) in Marvin 3, as far as I can see. So I'm not sure what method Marvin 3 is now using to store the last-read location, but in terms of syncing between devices via iCloud, I'm not really noticing severe bugs. I do notice them when flipping from portrait to landscape or vice versa, just as you describe it. Perhaps two various methods to track the last-read location are employed in the two situations?

By the way, one of the finest additions in Marvin 3 is actually that you can now tell Marvin to display your reading progress in percentages with 0, 1 or 2 decimals. In Marvin 2, only zero decimals were used – so for Marvin 2, your explanation would make sense (rounding down, etc.). But since Marvin 3 does support 2 percentage decimals for tracking reading progress, it would be surprising if it did not make use of those 2 decimals to keep the reader at the present location (if percentages are, indeed, used for that purpose). It almost appears as if in those troublesome situations where we're noticing the bugs, Marvin 3 is still using the "legacy" method of keeping the reading location that was used in Marvin 2, while for syncing locations between devices, Marvin 3 has now switched to a more precise location syncing via iCloud. But those are merely guesses on my part and I may be imagining things. (Still, one type of "keeping your location" works offline, while the other by definition cannot, so perhaps Marvin does employ two different methods in the two situations.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #66
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Has anyone updated to the newest version of Dropbox without upgrading to iOS 11? Any problems using it with Marvin 3.1?

NOTE: Just editing to say that, even without updating anything, I now get an error message (400) asking if I'm connected to the Internet (I am) when I try to access Dropbox via Marvin. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by dandelioncottage; 09-28-2017 at 02:59 PM.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #67
Rezn8r
Rezn8r began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Has anyone updated to the newest version of Dropbox without upgrading to iOS 11? Any problems using it with Marvin 3.1?

NOTE: Just editing to say that, even without updating anything, I now get an error message (400) asking if I'm connected to the Internet (I am) when I try to access Dropbox via Marvin. Anyone else experiencing this?
The same thing is happening to me and I have NOT updated Dropbox and I have not gone to iOS 11. I was thinking about updating Dropbox to the newest version to see if that would fix things, but now I'm going to think about this awhile. Frustrating.

Dropbox ver: 64.2.2
iOS ver: 10.3.3
Rezn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #68
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I HAVE updated both iOS and dropbox and get an error message as well.... so, it appears that either iOS or dropbox changed something. I'm sure Kris will get on that as soon as someone reports it properly (bug report sticky here)

Good news!...dropbox with Marvin and iOS 11 still works properly - just click on 'OK' to clear the message.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:20 AM   #69
pehkay
pehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavenspehkay is a rising star in the heavens

Device: apple
https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers...tdown-details/

Dropbox decommission V1 api
pehkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #70
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Does this mean you have to update to iOS 11 for Dropbox integration to work within Marvin? My Marvin and Dropbox apps are up to date, and I'm still on iOS 10, and I'm getting the error 400.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #71
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I don't think so. I just click on the 'OK' at the bottom of the message and it works fine. Try it and let us know how it works without upgrading iOS - or upgrade iOS and it'll work.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:19 PM   #72
funny
funny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it isfunny knows what time it is

Device: Marvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I don't think so. I just click on the 'OK' at the bottom of the message and it works fine. Try it and let us know how it works without upgrading iOS - or upgrade iOS and it'll work.
That didn't work for me... I then updated iOS and it still didn't work. Does it have something to do with the Dropbox update do you know?
funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:34 AM   #73
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

No, I don'tr know. I update all apps as they come out, though. So you may want to try that.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #74
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Kris tweeted this today:

Hello everyone. I’m aware of the Marvin/Dropbox problem. I should have it fixed + other updates by next week. Sorry about the inconvenience.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Kris tweeted this today:

Hello everyone. I’m aware of the Marvin/Dropbox problem. I should have it fixed + other updates by next week. Sorry about the inconvenience.
Will this also fix things for Marvin 2? Can you ask Kris please?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote