Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
TashPerth
TashPerth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Unhappy [Mac - OSX] Help! I accidentally deleted my library!

I have a Mac, with 12,000 books stored in Calibre.

I have spent months editing my library, covers and notes, and then accidentally deleted my library. That Remove books icon is too close the Edit Metadata.

How can i get my library back the way i had it?

Seems the files that moved to my Trash haven't got my changes saved. Is there any way to bring back the files the way that i had them?

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-04-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Change Title
TashPerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@TashPerth - from backup is the usual way - do you have a recent backup?

The book files in trash won't have had there embedded metadata updated unless you had run Polish or Embed Metadata, but the updated metadata will be in the metadata db file and the individual metadata.opf files. If you can see a metadata.db file and a lot of metadata.opf files in Trash then the library might be recoverable

I am not too familiar with Mac. On Windows when calibre removes books and puts them in the Recycle Bin (Trash) they can't be restored in the normal way. I suggest you 'leave' things alone until a Macxpert comes along.

I'll change the thread title to indicate you're on a Mac

Stay calm

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-04-2016 at 08:21 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you saying you selected 12,000 books and then clicked remove books and then clicked ok on the confirmation prompt? Or are you saying your calibre library is blank?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
OP
do absolutely nothing(with that 'trash' until the experts come up with a plan. Any, even tiny, changes could kill your chances of recovery

wouldn't metadata.opf ALSO be in the trash??

OP
DO NOT TRY this until Kovid supplies the Knowledgeable Answer

While Restoring all those files from Trash does not FIX the DB, it does FIX the structure and backup Metadata.

Shouldn't 'Recover', then be able to fix the DB?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
TashPerth
TashPerth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Smile

Ok. I moved all the files out of the trash and into a new folder on my desktop. I think I went back to calibre and selected 'add books' and the second or third answer from the drop down menu (each sub-folder is a book). This seems to have gotten back my books with saved metadata. I will do a back up ASAP.

Thanks all.
TashPerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashPerth View Post
Ok. I moved all the files out of the trash and into a new folder on my desktop. I think I went back to calibre and selected 'add books' and the second or third answer from the drop down menu (each sub-folder is a book). This seems to have gotten back my books with saved metadata. I will do a back up ASAP.

Thanks all.
I would restore ALL confirmations, then NEVER hide a Delete confirmation again.

Preferences: Behavior: click Reset all disabled confirmation Dialogs (on right), just above Use Internal Viewer
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you saying you selected 12,000 books and then clicked remove books and then clicked ok on the confirmation prompt?
If the OP had previously unchecked the 'Show this warning again' option on the confirmation message then there would be no confirmation message

IMO that option should be removed from the Remove books confirmation message. There are occasions when we all need a nanny/guardian-angel, removing books is one of them

BR
Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
That Remove books icon is too close the Edit Metadata.
You can move it within the toolbar with Preferences/Toolbars, the green arrows on the right. Or even remove it from the main tool bar, I moved it out of harms way into the book list context (right click) menu.

Quote:
Good choice - by doing what you did, the metadata would have been taken from the metadata.opf files. That's their raison d'être, to recover 'lost' metadata.

BR

Tags
calibre, help forum, help needed, library