Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #121
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
Another question, with my ongoing thanks for patience with my cluelessness: is Adobe DE something that has to be installed on the eReader, something you install on your laptop to convert PDFs for your eReader, or now made unnecessary by the new firmware? (or something else entirely?)
DE goes on your PC, the new firmware will handle the e-pub files, and PDF reflow on the Reader itself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #122
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by palaio View Post
Well the 8GB memory stick limit just got expanded.

From Sony UK website

MemoryStick™ MS DUO slot --> YES (Approx. 13000 from 16GB Stick)

Good!
but you'd be forced to use fat32->very slow on the reader
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #123
sam1am
Enthusiast
sam1am began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Without proper 64bit support from Sony, you're screwed if you're using Vista 64.
If you're running Vista, you already got screwed.
sam1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #124
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I may have to go take a nap or something so the waiting time won't go by so slowly... I wanna be able to play with new toys, dammit!
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #125
sam1am
Enthusiast

Anyone else notice the hit to battery life? Sony usually claims 7,500 pages, but if you're reading epub books it's now 6,800 pages.

I also thought it was interesting that their spec sheet points out the case is "man made." I thought the cases were naturally occurring, so I'm glad they cleared that up!

Also, it does mention increased memory stick support, but what about SD?
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #126
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Change your guitar strings. Wash your car. Tidy up the bookshelves. Defragment your hard drive. Adjust the WEP/Wifi settings on your router. Drive around your neighborhood, looking for unsecured wifi? Clean your fridge.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #127
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
No support for justification then ?
Not yet.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
Anyone else notice the hit to battery life? Sony usually claims 7,500 pages, but if you're reading epub books it's now 6,800 pages.

I also thought it was interesting that their spec sheet points out the case is "man made." I thought the cases were naturally occurring, so I'm glad they cleared that up!

Also, it does mention increased memory stick support, but what about SD?
Where did you find out it's 6800 pages doe ePub vs 7500 for BBeB?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #129
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I'll be honest, I've never EVER got ANYWHERE near 7,500 pages. My battery runs down in about 10 days if I put it in standby mode when I'm not using it. So an easier way to get to "full off" will be helpful if that's truly part of the firmware update.

I guess if I could read 7500 pages in one session it WOULD get closer to it, but 95% of my time the Reader is not being used and in standby. I only read an hour a day on the train.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #130
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Change your guitar strings. Wash your car. Tidy up the bookshelves. Defragment your hard drive. Adjust the WEP/Wifi settings on your router. Drive around your neighborhood, looking for unsecured wifi? Clean your fridge.

Thanks, I may have to try some of those
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #131
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Woo Hoo woo ho!!!

It's there - I just started the download now !!!!
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #132
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
It's available!

First .

Updated: Oh, I lost.

Last edited by llasram; 07-24-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Because I lost
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #133
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
If you're running Vista, you already got screwed.
So go use Mojave, instead. I hear it's getting great reviews from Vista haters.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #134
sam1am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where did you find out it's 6800 pages doe ePub vs 7500 for BBeB?
It's on the spec sheet that was linked to a couple pages back.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #135
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'll be interested to know if the ebooklibrary software changes much. Perhaps there's at least a feature or two that will be an improvement for PRS500 users.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update