Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2018, 04:32 AM   #61
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Dosent seem to me they had it long enough to fix. Told me it take 10 days for mine, They were sending it to a 3 party for the repair. Maybe it will last till the warranty ends. OR you could just use it as a trade in now ...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #62
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
My gut feeling is that they did exactly nothing, other than reload the firmware and do a factory reset. The battery is charged to exactly the same place I noted when I sent it back (granted, looking at that little battery icon and coming up with an exact charge level is impossible). Still, the battery was right about 2/3 charged when I sent it in, and it's the same now. My gut tells me that if they had replaced the battery, I would see either a 100% charge or about a 25% charge. That is typical of other devices. But again, that battery icon is a very poor way to judge charge levels accurately.

Do other peoples Kindles randomly lock up? Maybe this is just the way they are, and I'm trying to get something repaired that is actually normal behavior. I did ask the first Amazon tech about that (the tech PRIOR to the chat I posted above). He seemed to agree there was an issue with my Kindle locking up. But Kindles are cheap mass-produced devices. And Amazon comes out with firmware updates quite frequently. I doubt that's much about adding new features, because they only add small amounts of minor stuff regarding features. One or two minor new features is not a normal release cycle for most software. More likely, they're fixing bugs and other misbehavior, but just aren't documenting that in the "What's New" announcements.

Other than these very annoying and disturbing lockups, I am happy with the PaperWhite. Mine has no other issues that I've run into yet. It's a great little device for the $89 I paid for it (on sale). I just wish it wouldn't lock up...
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've been using Kindles for many years and have never had one lock up. The (very) occasional spontaneous reboot, yes, but never a lock-up. I would suspect bad content were that to happen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #64
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've been using Kindles for many years and have never had one lock up. The (very) occasional spontaneous reboot, yes, but never a lock-up. I would suspect bad content were that to happen.
A spontaneous restart is usually /because/ of a lockup. This being so, if response time exceeds 5 minutes or so for no obvious reason I usually force a restart rather than wait.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #65
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Received the "repaired" Kindle a little over a week ago. Immediately charged it overnight so the battery was 100% full.

Yesterday, with about 45 minutes total reading time spread over three separate sessions since receiving the "repaired" device ... lockup.

Their "repair" did exactly nothing.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #66
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That didn't take long.... So what is your next step?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #67
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
That didn't take long.... So what is your next step?
I guess I will have to bring up a chat with them (again!) and see what they will do. At this point, it's either have it replaced, or live with it I think.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #68
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

-March 30th is the last day for trade-in... Mine came up to $55 towards a New PW3 That's the Re-furbished they just sent me. They still have yet to let me know IF I need to send it back..
Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 PM   #69
haertig
Wizard

If they won't replace it, I won't be buying another. I see no reason to reward customer service like that. I would continue using the kindle for as long as feasible, then switch back to my Nook Simple Touch, which has been 100% since day one (day one was many many years ago).

The PaperWhite is superior when it works. Emphasis on "when it works". I would now hesitate to recommend one to a friend, but I do realize that everybody else (except me and Barbara) seem to be having good luck with them. But when it's YOURS that doesn't work, it sours your taste on ALL of them.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #70
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
They really should send you a newly manufactured one, even if it's a newer model. I suppose they were unable (or didn't try) to replicate the fault, so mistakenly thought that either there was nothing wrong with the device, or that you were trying to pull a fast one to get a newer model.
They don't know that you're an honest person with a genuine problem, but good customer service should always treat you as one.
Any chance of a refund? Have you asked?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #71
haertig
Wizard

I have not contacted Amazon yet about replacement, further repairs, or a refund. I will do that soon. Based on the "repair" they just did (I'm sure they didn't even test it, and simply re-installed the latest firmware and called it good), I do not expect much from them. They should do better, but I won't be surprised if they don't.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #72
Luv2ReadnCreate
Luv2ReadnCreate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, PW 2
Seems like some of you were incredibly rude to the Amazon reps you talked to. As someone who has done that kind of work myself (not for Amazon thought), I have little sympathy for people who immediately have an attitude and treat customer service people poorly.
Luv2ReadnCreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #73
Luv2ReadnCreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Well they want me to Return the Refurbished one Back & they will then Send the New PW3... I tried to Stop the shipment I contacted them ASAP as soon as I saw the change. Wasn't quick enough...suppose to get here Friday. sheesh What a Mess!

There are several reasons I Don't buy Refurbs 1 Don't know how the device was treated. 2 Problems don't always show up till much later 3 then they Blame me for the problem!!
New one I know its Not been Dropped or some one Cleaned the Screen Wrong! Any Damage is Factory or Bad Parts. Not Miss handling.
There is nothing wrong with a refurb. They are inspected carefully and like new. I've had several refurbed electronic devices over the years and have never had a problem with them. They were all flawness and worked perfectly. You sound awfully hostile toward Amazon.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #74
Luv2ReadnCreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post

Do other peoples Kindles randomly lock up? Maybe this is just the way they are, and I'm trying to get something repaired that is actually normal behavior.

Other than these very annoying and disturbing lockups, I am happy with the PaperWhite. Mine has no other issues that I've run into yet. It's a great little device for the $89 I paid for it (on sale). I just wish it wouldn't lock up...
I've only rarely had a Kindle freeze, and it was always due to a corrupted ebook.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #75
Luv2ReadnCreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Received the "repaired" Kindle a little over a week ago. Immediately charged it overnight so the battery was 100% full.

Yesterday, with about 45 minutes total reading time spread over three separate sessions since receiving the "repaired" device ... lockup.

Their "repair" did exactly nothing.
Sounds like the problem is not with the Kindle. You likely have a corrupted ebook or document on it.