Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
CJay
CJay began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise1150
Do you think the eBookwise-1150 is for me

Hello All,

I'm thinking of purchasing my first ebook reader and it seems as if the 1150 is what I am looking for. However before I buy I would like the opinion of the device users.

All am looking to do is read ebooks. I don't want to play music, watch videos, or surf the net. The great majority of my ebooks will come from Project Gutenburg and Manybooks or similar sites. I don't mind loading the ebooks to the device from my computer so usb connection is fine for me. I would rather not have to do many file conversions if possible. The price of the 1150 is a huge selling point for me but I could go up some if it is really worth it.

I would appreciate any help you could give me with my decision.

Thanks,
CJay
CJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I found uploading to the eBookwise very fiddly. I was on a Mac and had to use this sometimes unreliable web interface, then plug it into the computer, then download to the device, then remove from the web interface.

Have you looked at the other budget options from Fictionwise? You can get the Jetbook very inexpensively because it comes with a large rebate which you can use to buy books.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
All am looking to do is read ebooks. I don't want to play music, watch videos, or surf the net. The great majority of my ebooks will come from Project Gutenburg and Manybooks or similar sites. I don't mind loading the ebooks to the device from my computer so usb connection is fine for me. I would rather not have to do many file conversions if possible. The price of the 1150 is a huge selling point for me but I could go up some if it is really worth it.
Hi CJay

I have both the JBL and EBW readers and I can recommend the jetBook Lite over the ebookwise for these reasons: superior screen, compatibility with more formats, ease of use, more font size choices, uses SD cards rather than SmartMedia. The ebookwise has one "pro" going for it -- the backlit screen allows you to read in the dark with no other lighting source. A major negative for me is the gigantic transformer box in the power supply cable; too bulky to travel with! Love the regular AA batteries that the JBL uses.

Today's prices are $89 for EBW at their own website, and $119 for JBL at newegg, and in my opinion the price difference is worth it to get the jetBook Lite. For another inexpensive source of ebooks, see my post here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...188#post705188

RTF, TXT and HTML ebooks look just fine on the jetBook, but I find the PDF text is too small for my poor old eyes and dislike zooming and scrolling to read them - but Calibre is very easy to use for conversions. Or, use something like CutePDF to export the PDF to TXT.

Edit: Shipping cost of $9.95 on the EBW reduces the price difference; JBL has free shipping at newegg!

Last edited by ngrant; 12-21-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Additional comment
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
Today's prices are $89 for EBW at their own website, and $119 for JBL at newegg,
Or $149 at Fictionwise with a $50 rebate for books I have no experience with it though. Just going off what I have seen/read, it seems like a better reader.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I loved my EBW1150, but it is very limited as far as newer books.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
CJay
CJay began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise1150
Thanks for all the replies. After checking out the Jetbook lite I went ahead and ordered it. The jetbook seems to have everything I was looking for. Thanks for the help.
CJay is offline   Reply With Quote