Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
DarkAbsynthe
DarkAbsynthe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
set_metadata and covers

Hi all,

I've looked around for the answer to this and haven't found it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Is there a way to set the cover image other than inside the GUI? I've imported a bunch of metadata for my books using set_metadata, and as far as I can see, I'm able to edit pretty much everything about a book using that command. Except the cover. I can't tell it to use a new image for the cover.

Am I missing something? Did I not RTFM closely enough? How would I go about doing this?
DarkAbsynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
setting covers via metadata is unsupported for most formats, because most formats dont have covers in their metadata (instead they are part of the main text)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #3
tycho
tycho began at the beginning.

Device: samsung
One thing I am suprised, is that if I insert a file jpg or png, it dos not build the cover
tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post
One thing I am suprised, is that if I insert a file jpg or png, it dos not build the cover
How do you mean?

If you tust insert an image into an book/article etc. in the Calibre Editor it does not know you want it to be the cover.

You have to use the Semantics option to mark the image file as being the cover. You will find the "Set Semantics" in the Calibre Editor Tools menu option.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A 'cover' has 2 distinct properties.
1)It is a separate (HTML) file (A file can only have 1 semantic purpose)
2)The Image (can only be one. Additional Images are just images) is designated as Cover (also a Semantic)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:04 AM   #6
tycho

thanks very much.
"set semantics" ? I cannot find this option (I have French calibre and I do not see anything that would match it).
Old 09-11-2020, 03:27 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is on the Tools menu in the Editor: Looks like Luggage tag
Old 09-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is on the Tools menu in the Editor: Looks like Luggage tag
I'm confused. In my "set semantics" panel, there is no "cover" type listed in the "type of semantics" list.

If I right click on the image, an option is to set it as cover image.

If I right click on an html file, one option is to mark it as the cover page.

So where does the "set semantics" tool come in?
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
I'm confused. In my "set semantics" panel, there is no "cover" type listed in the "type of semantics" list.

If I right click on the image, an option is to set it as cover image.

If I right click on an html file, one option is to mark it as the cover page.

So where does the "set semantics" tool come in?
Both (image and HTML) you listed is where you use the tool
This is only needed for when you CREATE or use a different file name.
Replacing previously file with the EXACT same names, need no further action.
The flags were in the OPF
Old 09-18-2020, 03:16 AM   #10
tycho

>It is on the Tools menu in the Editor: Looks like Luggage tag

I really cannot find it.
See attachment

What do you mean by "the Editor"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200918_091425.png
Views:	161
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	182012  
Old 09-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Towards the right end of toolbar, Purple Book - Editer le Livre

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
tycho

ok, thanks.
If I select a book having only JPG format, and I click 'editer le livre', it gives error, saying that only ASW3 or EPUB may be edited.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post
ok, thanks.
If I select a book having only JPG format, and I click 'editer le livre', it gives error, saying that only ASW3 or EPUB may be edited.
That is not surprising as jpg is not an ebook format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, set_metadata