Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast
Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Streamlined Apple Books validator?

Is there any streamlined Apple Books validator?
I've been searching around, found this, but was wondering if there was anything less convoluted.
Land_Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, there is a MUCH easier solution. Use the latest version of epubcheck.

https://github.com/w3c/epubcheck/releases
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast
Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, there is a MUCH easier solution. Use the latest version of epubcheck.

https://github.com/w3c/epubcheck/releases
As far as I know, it detects compliance with EPUB specifications, does it also catch Apple Books specific issues? (such as the 4.000.000 pixel limit in images)
Old 07-01-2020, 04:08 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think we have about twenty titles on Apple, via epub2 distribution. Which we also use epub2 for upload to Amazon KDP.
The epubcheck is good. You still need to visually check.
Also we check any new styles or changes to styles also make sense on an epub App, Calibre Viewer, two different sorts of Kindle, various eink epub based ereaders. Once we got a complaint from Apple over a supposed promotional paragraph. We changed the wording and that solved it.

A 4M pixel image or anything remotely as big is mad anyway in any regular ebook. If your book passes epubcheck, looks the same as your source and works on a 5" to 6" phone app for epub, it's unlikely to have a problem with Apple. They essentially use epub.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

I'll keep using it, then, hoping Pagina epub checker gets updated soon.
The graphical interface does it for me.
https://www.pagina.gmbh/produkte/epub-checker/
Old 07-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Outcast View Post
I'll keep using it, then, hoping Pagina epub checker gets updated soon.
The graphical interface does it for me.
https://www.pagina.gmbh/produkte/epub-checker/
Shameless plug: There are also plugins for Calibre and Sigil.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, I use the Calibre plugin, and if I needed to make text books or something more complicated than a novel, I'd use Sigil and the plugin.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Shameless plug: There are also plugins for Calibre and Sigil.
That's so nice!

Just tried it, but doesn't seem to be working reliably (attached).
(Was just trying to see if it caught the missing h2 endtag, it didn't, but I guess the long log points to a worse problem).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	717.6 KB
ID:	180403  
Old 07-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That's so nice!

Just tried it, but doesn't seem to be working reliably (attached).
(Was just trying to see if it caught the missing h2 endtag, it didn't, but I guess the long log points to a worse problem).
At a wild eyed guess, you have a 32 bit version of Java installed on a 64 bit operating system and need to change a line in your epubcheck.json file which is covered in the message #86 mentioned below.

If you look at the Epubcheck plugin thread in the calibre forum and check around messages #85 & #86, I suspect you are having the same issue.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-05-2020 at 12:46 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At a wild eyed guess, you have a 32 bit version of Java installed on a 64 bit operating system and need to change a line in your epubcheck.json file which is covered in the message #86 mentioned below.

If you look at the Epubcheck plugin thread in the calibre forum and check around messages #85 & #86, I suspect you are having the same issue.
Or uninstall the 32-bit Java and install the 64-bit Java.

Here is the link to the 64-bit Java for Windows.

https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/do...94aed7ec7ae784
Old 07-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #11
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

Quote:
Or uninstall the 32-bit Java and install the 64-bit Java.

Here is the link to the 64-bit Java for Windows.
That was it, thank you, Jon. I have no idea why I installed the 32-bit version.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That was it, thank you, Jon. I have no idea why I installed the 32-bit version.
Because you were using a 32-bt web browser and when you went to download Java, you were presented with a 32-bit Java. I had the same problem until I ran into an issue with epubcheck. I reported this and that's why the epubcheck plugins have an option for 32-bit Java. It's not as easy as it should be to get 64-bit Java.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
It's not as easy as it should be to get 64-bit Java.
It is in linux.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple books, epub, ibooks, validator