Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-12-2023, 10:33 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
A rotten birthday

Have been having one of the worst birthdays in my 53 yrs today. For some reason the alert on my Facebook didn't work so few people over there greeted me (the few who did did so via messenger) and none of those who did were actual family members. No cards from family again this year. Most of them at best remember only because of Facebook and can't be bothered to actually send a card either. A very few Facebook friends remembered within groups to give me a birthday greeting. A friend was going to give me a ride to the store tonight but never contacted me nor answered the phone when I called them though their car is in its usual spot. I might add they were going to do so as early as the 8th but being over tired etc. has kept on pushing the date back. Being forgotten about hurts anytime of the year but having a birthday in December makes the hurt hurt even more. I 'officially'had my 53rd birthday about an hour ago (8:31 pm). Only birthday celebration I had today was in treating myself to supper at Culver's.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:25 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sorry that your day was not what you would have desired. It is my birthday today as well and while I had what I considered to be a decent birthday. No social media message since I don't have a social media presence but that's a personal security choice.

We went for a family brunch with cake, opened a couple of cards that were snailmailed to me, checked some birthday greetings in my email.The birthday cake at brunch was a bit of a bust since it was placed in front of my granddaughter and she decided to treat it like the smash cake that was made for her birthday but it was fun watching her. Came home and watched the Canucks beat the Lightning 4-1.

Overall, a pretty good day.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-13-2023 at 03:22 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2023, 01:52 AM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Sorry to hear about your birthday, crich70. It's a shame when people seem to forget these things. Personally, I never bothered about things like birthdays -- my own or anyone else's -- when I was younger. Now that I'm older I appreciate the need to maintain contact.

Here's to a better year, and a better birthday.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 05:56 AM   #4
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ likewise. Sorry to hear that so few remembered.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:08 AM   #5
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Happy belated birthday to you both!
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2023, 09:02 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Have been having one of the worst birthdays in my 53 yrs today.
This can be a tough time of year especially when you're alone. I saw your comment in the Washington Post yesterday which got a lot of upticks; people identify and sympathize.

I know you're not asking for advice, but I'm going to throw out a FWIW comment anyway. I don't think people are "on" Facebook as much as they were. I myself don't use it as a conduit for personal messages any more. In other words, it's not personal although it's hard not to take it as such. If people aren't logging in they won't be aware of notifications.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:08 AM   #7
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Happy belated birthday Crich and DNSB!

It sucks when people forget your birthday, especially if you make the effort to remember the birthdays of others.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:05 PM   #8
kekinash
kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Leaf2, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW (last generation)
I never celebrated my birthday, I don’t understand why I need, or others need to celebrate a birthday. Every day is a birthday celebration, you’re lucky to be alive and it’s what I celebrate everyday.
kekinash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 07:56 AM   #9
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Sorry you didn't enjoy your birthday.

Very few people send cards any more. I just received my first Christmas card of the season from a college friend. I stopped sending them after I retired six years ago. I don't even keep up with having postage stamps.

I have no family left except for a niece and two nephews who do not send me anything ever (two of them do not respond to my texts). Lost my last brother in March. He usually remembered enough to text but forgot the last year because of all his suffering with cancer.

A friend was nice enough to have me over for dinner for my 72nd last year. The worst one I can remember was my 70th when we had a hurricane in the city and I didn't go out at all. I spent a lot of time that day on the phone.

I don't get too excited about my birthdays, but I try to be good to myself, do things I enjoy and treat myself.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 10:56 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post

Very few people send cards any more. I just received my first Christmas card of the season from a college friend. I stopped sending them after I retired six years ago. I don't even keep up with having postage stamps.

I have no family left except for a niece and two nephews who do not send me anything ever (two of them do not respond to my texts). Lost my last brother in March. He usually remembered enough to text but forgot the last year because of all his suffering with cancer.

A friend was nice enough to have me over for dinner for my 72nd last year. The worst one I can remember was my 70th when we had a hurricane in the city and I didn't go out at all. I spent a lot of time that day on the phone.

I don't get too excited about my birthdays, but I try to be good to myself, do things I enjoy and treat myself.
I remember my 50th wasn't great either. Though that time it wasn't anything any one person did. I'd always imagined that I'd be able to do something special for that one. Even on a limited income. Turned out of course that my 50th was in 2020 and I'm sure that a lot of people had a lot of plans upended that year.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:58 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post

A friend was nice enough to have me over for dinner for my 72nd last year. The worst one I can remember was my 70th when we had a hurricane in the city and I didn't go out at all. I spent a lot of time that day on the phone.I don't get too excited about my birthdays, but I try to be good to myself, do things I enjoy and treat myself.
My belated condolences on your loss. Never had any siblings myself though I would have liked to have had some. Both my parents came from big families. Mom was the oldest of 5 and dad the youngest of 6.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:00 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Happy belated birthday Crich and DNSB!

It sucks when people forget your birthday, especially if you make the effort to remember the birthdays of others.
True. And I do try to post on the timelines of others at places like Facebook when I see they are having a birthday.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:02 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This can be a tough time of year especially when you're alone. I saw your comment in the Washington Post yesterday which got a lot of upticks; people identify and sympathize.

I know you're not asking for advice, but I'm going to throw out a FWIW comment anyway. I don't think people are "on" Facebook as much as they were. I myself don't use it as a conduit for personal messages any more. In other words, it's not personal although it's hard not to take it as such. If people aren't logging in they won't be aware of notifications.
Which posting was it? I don't recall which of the postings it was.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:03 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Sorry to hear about your birthday, crich70. It's a shame when people seem to forget these things. Personally, I never bothered about things like birthdays -- my own or anyone else's -- when I was younger. Now that I'm older I appreciate the need to maintain contact.

Here's to a better year, and a better birthday.
Thanks. I agree we do appreciate the little things more as we get older.
Old 12-17-2023, 04:22 AM   #15
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I remember my 50th wasn't great either. Though that time it wasn't anything any one person did. I'd always imagined that I'd be able to do something special for that one. Even on a limited income. Turned out of course that my 50th was in 2020 and I'm sure that a lot of people had a lot of plans upended that year.
I had my 69th birthday in August of 2020. I kept to myself but took a long walk in the park by the Hudson River and then took out a good meal from a restaurant.

My 50th birthday in 2001 was three weeks before 9/11. I had been to a flute convention in Dallas just before it and ate out at restaurants there, so I didn't do much for my birthday after I returned.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote