Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
tomx2
Connoisseur
tomx2 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
Bookari Help

Hello, anyone happen to know how to refresh metadata in Bookari?

In other words, i have updated several books in Calibre. A few show the updates in bookari, many don't. They are all epub format. My feeling is that, Bookari needs a forced refresh to see the updates as they are all there and embedded in Calibre before exported to Bookari.

Thanks, Tom
tomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
tomx2
Connoisseur
tomx2 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note
I have searched everywhere i can think of, web, manual and this forum, with no luck. In addition; i can force Bookari to read the metadata by removing the book altogether and re-sending it to my device. However in doing so any and all annotations are lost!

- Tom

Last edited by tomx2; 09-25-2018 at 06:05 PM.
tomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't think that Bookari has such a feature, to be perfectly honest. You can manually edit a book's metadata from within the app (and you can generate missing cover images), but as far as I know, an epub's metadata is only extracted upon import into Bookari's database.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:44 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
rather then start a new thread... when did amazon app store drop bookari. it seems to have gone - both free and premium versions - from both .com and uk app stores ?

is it a glitch or has it gone forever? I cannot find any news articles re this
it always did lag the google play releases, but I was just checking my lists of owned amazon apps and it is no longer shown.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
rather then start a new thread... when did amazon app store drop bookari. it seems to have gone - both free and premium versions - from both .com and uk app stores ?

is it a glitch or has it gone forever? I cannot find any news articles re this
it always did lag the google play releases, but I was just checking my lists of owned amazon apps and it is no longer shown.
Not sure, really. I've always used the Google Play version. Perhaps it just wasn't worth the trouble any more.
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not sure, really. I've always used the Google Play version. Perhaps it just wasn't worth the trouble any more.
that is probably the case. they would not be the first developer to abandon the amazon store.

I own both versions (long story) & I was just updating my list of what I owned, & of what versions were now at each store.
could be they dropped supporting Amazon when version 4 came out

They are not the most organised of developers - the name change from Mantano to Bookari was what - 3 years ago - but their support pages still say Mantano & look pretty neglected

so I checked on Moon Reader, for completeness - the amazon store still has that but it is at 4.4.0 vs 4.5.2 at Google.

& a glance at the Bookari most recent reviews on Google suggests they continue to disappoint their still loyal customers with new " features" and unwanted changes.
PS as for the OPs question, bookari stores all the metadata and all the annotations etc in a single .db file , inside of the mantano/bookari folder. I used to find it stubbornly kept old thumbnail covers if I tried to push new, better ones.
Fonts have their own subfolder and you can add a font to the app by writing to that. it does not see anything you add to the main android fonts collections. BAcking up themes is tricky. some stuff, like the foreground and background colours have to be selected from a color grid- they are not stored in the .db file and the app does not show them anywhere as RGB values

Last edited by stumped; 10-11-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

BOOKARI 5 ??
this appeared in april - since then, nothing- an abandoned project ?

they intend to part ways with adobe DRM if I am reading this right ?

https://www.mantano.com/bookari-5-coming/

Bookari 5 is coming!
April 23, 2018 Karina
Dear all, a brand new version of our Bookari reading apps is cooking! It’s a pretty big release and it deserves a few explanations. It will provide improvements in almost every feature, so let’s review them by category:

Digital Rights Management (DRM) support
Definitely not the funniest or simplest topic but let’s address it first before talking about more exciting ones…

We have created Mantano in 2010 after successfully integrating the Mobipocket DRM in e-reading devices back in 2009 for Netronix, one of the leading OEM e-reading device manufacturers! Since then, we have always been eager to integrate any available DRM technology, to provide our users access through a unique app to any book whatever its provenance. Doing so hasn’t always been an easy trip, both from technical, User eXperience and legal point of views, believe us… But we’ve found a way. We’ve been the very first to be able to publish apps who were compatible with the 3 major DRMs together (Adobe DRM, SonyDADC URMS and Readium LCP), while providing a very smooth UX! We’ve also developed our Magic Links technology, that makes the DRM completely transparent to the user!

However, DRM is a sensitive topic, DRM solution providers have their own strategies and some of them imply a pretty significant cost for the reading apps developers (yes, it’s not free, except LCP…).

So at some points choices must be made for independent software publishers like Mantano… This is why Bookari 5 will provide significant changes in this area, while our B2B white labelling offering remains the same.

Adobe DRM
We’ve been a long-time and loyal implementor of the Adobe DRM technology. We have delivered one of the best integrations according to many experts including Adobe itself. We have also integrated it in other apps for our B2B customers such as Netronix (in dedicated e-reader devices), NYPL (New York Public Library), Grammata and others.

However… Despite all our efforts and goodwill, the context doesn’t allow us to further support it inside our own public-facing Bookari apps. We can’t obviously enter into deep details there, but this decision was motivated by many major concerns such as:

The lack of control over the Epub and PDF rendering engines. As active Epub 3 implementors we needed to be able to use our own Epub 3 rendering engine, which has proven to be impossible with RMSDK, much to our regret;
The very high price of this technology
We will still continue to internally maintain the compatibility with Adobe RMSDK as much as we can, in order to be able to fulfil Adobe DRM-enabled white label inquiries from B2B customers.

What will be the impact on Adobe DRM-protected books for our Bookari users?
The rule is simple:

Existing users will still be able to use our apps to read Adobe DRM-protected books
New users won’t… They will have to use a third-party app.....
Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Um, anyone know a way to backup Bookari app so I can reinstall if I don't like the new one? Or somewhere that has the old versions to download? Too many apps, I've paid for, update and make them unusable to me (Copilot is one). I'd hate to lose Bookari.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Most File Manager apps have a backup feature where you can save the current installed app as an .apk file. It may not always be a well-documented and/or easy to find feature, though.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Most File Manager apps have a backup feature where you can save the current installed app as an .apk file. It may not always be a well-documented and/or easy to find feature, though.
Thanks so much! Saving as an .apk file is what I needed to find.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Um, anyone know a way to backup Bookari app so I can reinstall if I don't like the new one? Or somewhere that has the old versions to download? Too many apps, I've paid for, update and make them unusable to me (Copilot is one). I'd hate to lose Bookari.
I use Apk Extractor by dev Meher. You can even backup and add to Dropbox in one step.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks so much! Saving as an .apk file is what I needed to find.
backup and restore apps are easy to find, in google store, but figuring out how they work with google licences and paid apps is harder.

for sure, you cannot backup a paid apk just move it to another device and expect it to work. google puts the licences somewhere that the backups don't have access to

you may be able to backup, delete, and restore all on one device, without losing the licence, that is not something I have tested. if that is not possible then backup/restore is not really worth having!

free apps from google store will backup and move, no issues

paid apps from amazon store will backup , move and work on another device IF it is registered to the same amazon account

you can also set any app to "do not update" so that play store does nto push any unwanted changes. i think you do that by finding the app in the store, using the store app device you want to freeze it on, then it is a top right menu setting. it works on a per device level i think so you can freeze an app on device A, yet allow updates on device B.

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-di...ogle-play-apps

some backup utilities can be set to autobackup specific apps before each update and to keep a set number of earlier versions. so if you use something with a history of pushing bugged updates: e.g. plex, bookari... that may be useful.

finding a safe site for old versions is tricky. there are some that claim to have safe versions of free apps so e.g. you want an old version of netflix you can go there. I think apkmirror is one such.

But there are some very dodgy sites that would love to deliver viruses, trojans etc to folks looking for "cracked" apps.
as a general rule, any "FREE" apk for a paid app is most likely infected
Old 10-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I use Apk Extractor by dev Meher. You can even backup and add to Dropbox in one step.
Thanks, but it is another app that my LG android 6 can't run. I get the error "screen overlay detected" and nothing I do will make that go away and let the app run - btw, screen overlay is deactivated.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Thanks, but it is another app that my LG android 6 can't run. I get the error "screen overlay detected" and nothing I do will make that go away and let the app run - btw, screen overlay is deactivated.
What version did you use? My old tablet was android 6 and it ran fine. I'll try to update the app later on today and see if it works. The version on there was 4.0.5 and the latest version is 4.2.9.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
What version did you use? My old tablet was android 6 and it ran fine. I'll try to update the app later on today and see if it works. The version on there was 4.0.5 and the latest version is 4.2.9.
I finally got it to work after lots of help from the internet and messing around with settings on the LG. Evidently it is a problem with Android 6. So glad to get it to work and to have a backup program! Thanks for the help.