Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
MyKill
MyKill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle app
Calibre can't "Send-to-Kindle E-Mail"

It appears that Calibre can no longer "Send-to-Kindle E-Mail". It has worked correctly in the past using Calibre v2.61 and configured to use my ISP's smtp server.

It appears to have stopped working when I upgraded to v2.62.

Hoping to correct the problem I am now using Calibre v2.63. A test email sent from Calibre works correctly.

Calibre can successfully send email to my email account. My email account can successfully "Send-to-Kindle E-Mail", and Calibre appears to send directly to my Kindle account, but the ebook never shows up in my list of "Personal Documents" and I get no error message either from Calibre or Amazon.

As a work around I send an ebook from Calibre to my email and then forward it to my "Send-to-Kindle E-Mail", after which the ebook shows up in my list of "Personal Documents" under my Amazon account.

I have confirmed that the email address Calibre is using is in my "Approved Personal Document E-mail List".

So to summarize: Calibre can send me an ebook, I can forward the ebook to Amazon, but Calibre can't send directly to Amazon. The last time it worked I was using Calibre v2.61.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, MyKill.
MyKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
Georgie W
Connoisseur
Georgie W began at the beginning.

Device: KT4 5.13.6
I'm having the same problems. I've sent several books to Amazon via Calibre (all as per normal settings). Only one got through. Initially I thought that might be because it was an EPUB, which got automatically converted to MOBI when I sent it to my kindle email address. So I tried that again with another book, but at the time of writing (several hours later) it hasn't arrived, and nor have about a dozen other books that were sent already in MOBI format.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!
Georgie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....-using-calibre in particular the part about mail relays.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Pavati
Pavati began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3, Kindle Paperwhite 3
First of all, let me thank you, Kovid Goyal, for creating and maintaining calibre - it makes creating own books nearly effortless and so accessible for the not-so-tech-savvy users.
As for topic - I have recently ran into same problem - calibre no longer successfuly transfers my books over to kindle (they never show up in amazon cloud). I have tried switching to different emails, but the books never showed up in amazon cloud.
Eventually I have set up GMX email account and it works, albeit oddly. When I'm sending just one book, it works fine. But whenever I'm sending more books, first one always sends fast normally, but rest of queued books take over 5 minutes to send each (anywhere between 5m10s and 5m20s). As if calibre adds 5 minutes to standard sending time for any subsequent book after first one from queue.
So if I'm sending 5 books, it takes over 20 minutes for calibre to complete all 5 tasks.
Only restarting calibre between sending each book allows sending them in reasonable time.
Is this normal behavior for GMX setup?

Last edited by Pavati; 08-11-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Pavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Read the note at the link I posted earlier.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Did you check the above link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibre FAQ
Note: Microsoft/Google/Gmx can disable your account if you use it to send large amounts of email. So, when using these services to send mail calibre automatically restricts itself to sending one book every five minutes. If you don’t mind risking your account being blocked you can reduce this wait interval by going to Preferences->Tweaks in calibre.

EDIT: Need to remember to refresh the page more often...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Pavati
Pavati began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3, Kindle Paperwhite 3
It seems I have missed the 5 minute delay part. I think I skipped it when noticed "large amounts of emails", thinking it doesn't apply to sending just a few books scenario.
But I see how this explans whole situation. Thanks for replies

Last edited by Pavati; 08-11-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Pavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
Raimond
Raimond began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi @ all

I've got the same problem, sending books with calibre-smtp isn't working anymore (Configured to use my own email server). I did a lot of testing during the last hour and can confirm that it works if I send the book from calibre to my mail address and forward it afterwards to kindle.

By now I've called the amazon kindle support multiple times, always with the same question.
Basically, the unofficial answer was that amazon's policy doesn't like calibre since they want to sell the books. Even if the guys at the phone weren't allowed to confirm it they told me that it is "very likely that amazon is blocking calibre".

Sending books with a simple php script still works.

Is it possible that you modify the email header to look more like a e.g. Thunderbird header?
Also, adding a random subject and text could also help...

Rai
Raimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:27 AM   #9
Teeny
Enthusiast
Teeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle PW 11th
What if I don't want to make a GMX account? Calibre used to work and send books to my kindle just fine when it was at 2.53 but updating it caused the problem, and I really don't want to create an account.

If I downgrade Calibre to 2.53 will it work?
Teeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Sarrod
Sarrod began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2015
I am experiencing the same problem. What seems to work is to make Calibre send to my hotmail or gmail and have that auto forward to my kindle adress.

Shame on Amazon for bullying Calibre users though! Maybe moving to the Aura One when its out because of issues like this.
Sarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
FYI, might want to check out this thread in which adoresReading found a solution that worked for many of us. Scroll towards the bottom of the first page.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=277000
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #12
Sarrod
Sarrod began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
FYI, might want to check out this thread in which adoresReading found a solution that worked for many of us. Scroll towards the bottom of the first page.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=277000
Thanks, but I don't use my Gmail in Calibre, but my ISP account. It does seem like Amazon is actively blocking Calibre.
Sarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #13
Raimond

Hi,
I'm still fighting with this problem. Using gmx as relay works fine, but I want to use my 'normal' email account.

This is the E-Mailheader if I send a mail from a php script on my server to amazon (in this case redirected to my normal mail address to analyse it). This works fine with amazon!
Code:
Return-Path: <web111@web111.cyberwebserver-111.de>
X-Original-To: raimond@my-domainname.de
Delivered-To: raimond@my-domainname.de
Received: by cyberwebserver-111.de (Postfix, from userid 10355)
	id 3EFF2BC85B0; Wed, 17 Aug 2016 18:50:13 +0200 (CEST)
To: raimond@my-domainname.de
Subject: Your story
X-PHP-Originating-Script: 10355:ww_scriptname.php
Reply-To: ffdl@my-other-domainname.net
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
 boundary="-----=0cd80bd35dbdfd9a5d9d8d6590d1eb7a"
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 18:50:12 +0200
Message-Id: <20160817165013.3EFF2BC85B0@cyberwebserver-111.de>

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

-------=0cd80bd35dbdfd9a5d9d8d6590d1eb7a
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
the requested file is attached.
-------=0cd80bd35dbdfd9a5d9d8d6590d1eb7a
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="testfile.mobi";
Content-Length: .637666;
Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="testfile.mobi"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
And this is the emailheader if I send a mail from calibre (configured to use the same server). This is not accepted by amazon:
Code:
Return-Path: <raimond@my-domainname.de>
X-Original-To: raimond@my-domainname.de
Delivered-To: raimond@my-domainname.de
Received: from Win7.fritz.box (unknown [213.xxx.xx.xxx])
	by cyberwebserver-111.de (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 4AFCCBC840B
	for <raimond@my-domainname.de>; Wed, 17 Aug 2016 18:15:47 +0200 (CEST)
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="===============0515989056=="
Subject: E-book: Some kinde of book
To: raimond@my-domainname.de
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 18:15:45 +0200

You will not see this in a MIME-aware mail reader.

--===============0515989056==
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

QXR0YWNoZWQsIHlvdSB3aWxsIGZpbmQgdGhlIGUtYm9vawoKT2YgSW5rIGFuZCBTdGVlbDogQSBE
cmFjbyBNYWxmb3kgbG92ZSBzdG9yeQoJYnkgR2luZXZyYSBQb3R0ZWQgUGxhbnRzCgppbiB0aGUg
TU9CSSBmb3JtYXQuCgpBYm91dCB0aGlzIGJvb2s6CgpEcmFjbyBNYWxmb3kgT0M=

--===============0515989056==
Content-Type: application/x-mobipocket-ebook;
 name="some kind of filename.mobi"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="some kind of filename.mobi"
Now, the one million dollar question: why?

Last edited by Raimond; 08-17-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Code:
vs.

Code:

What is up with that?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #15
Raimond

Same difference, the php-script uses an other domain as sender than my "regular" email address. Both are on the same server and configured identical.
Both domains were also added to the "allowed" list of amazon.
Just to be sure I've tried the ffdl@.... address with calibre: Didn't work (as expected)