Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Sonorazona
Sonorazona began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle App, Calibre
Question Calibre unable to create temporary file

Hi all,

I ran into an issue today where Calibre installer is unable to create a temporary file needed for installation. I think it is related to an issue with Windows Defender that won't allow msiexe.exe to make changes to the system.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I've posted a question to Microsoft about the Windows Defender/msiexe.exe issue and I'll update when I get a response from that. But if someone else has a solution other than configuring Windows Defender to allow msiexe.exe to make system changes (not sure how advisable that is and won't do it until I've received a response from MS) please let me know

-cm-
Sonorazona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
It is normal for installers to want to run with elevated privileges so that they can make system changes. You don’t configure misexec to allow it to make system changes (which is a permanent change), rather you give permissions for a specific installation to run with elevated privileges so it can make system changes (a temporary change for the duration of the installation). Depending on your UAC changes you should get prompted to allow the installation to proceed.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorazona View Post
Hi all,

I ran into an issue today where Calibre installer is unable to create a temporary file needed for installation.

<snip>
I assume you know this from an error message, please provide precise details, i.e. a screen shot.

There may be something in this thread ==>> Installiation Issue

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oh, yes, I have had that problem in spades. This is how I had to originally fix it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...14&postcount=4

However, since then I manually reinstalled Windows 10 Version 1803 April 2018 Update by using the "Windows Media Creation Tool" route. I specified "keep user files and existing applications", then let it go.

I then manually downloaded the cumulative Version 1803 update for September 2018 from the Windows Update Catalog at http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx and ran it.

Result: the Windows installer for 1803 treated the prior installation as "legacy", and totally reinstalled the Windows 10 user permissions and security settings, among all of the other things it does. That fixed it. No more Calibre temporary file errors, and just dying without notice.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Sonorazona
Sonorazona began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle App, Calibre
Thanks for all the great advice and information. I will follow up on the links to other information.

I rebooted the computer again and the problem went away. It is noteworthy that the same day as I tried to update Calibre I also tried to install Amazon Drive Desktop and had the same error.

I've had a Windows Defender update since the 14th so that may have also resolved the problem.
Sonorazona is offline   Reply With Quote