Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #46
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
No p2 is diags. I just looked. Dasmoover told me a long time ago he was going to replace those with compressed images. I do not see a compressed p1. Bummer.

Unless somebody puts up a compressed p1, you will have to figure out how to download it successfully. And you have do extract the image before flashing it.
I suspected it as it's mmcblk0p2...so, let's turn on the other pc...and if doesn't work, it's time to go to University today...
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

EDIT: I am not making any choice for the end user. I am just showing a way that worked for me.
You might as well tell everyone to close their mind and open windows.

Note: When adding emphasis to a direct quotation, it is common practice to make an "emphasis added" notation.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #48
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You might as well tell everyone to close their mind and open windows.

Note: When adding emphasis to a direct quotation, it is common practice to make an "emphasis added" notation.
I am really getting very annoyed by all of your pedantic aggression aimed directly at me these past few days.

What is your problem?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I am really getting very annoyed by all of your pedantic aggression aimed directly at me these past few days.
Poor baby.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #50
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Poor baby.
What is your problem?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #51
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #52
deep
Enthusiast
deep began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
No, p2 is diags. I just looked. Dasmoover told me a long time ago he was going to put up compressed images. I do not see a compressed p1. All of the K4 images he put up are compressed, so he did not replace the uncompressed K5 images. Bummer. It would save him some bandwidth to compress them.

Unless somebody puts up a compressed p1, you will have to figure out how to download the same image you did, but successfully. If you find a compressed image, you have to extract the image before flashing it.

You COULD try using wget to download the file. Either from linux, or get a mingw/msys wget for windows, or use a cygwin shell wget.
List of image files now contain a compressed p1 of my backup right after I upgraded dasmoover's KT 5.0.0 mmcblk0p1 image , to 5.1.0 using amazon's update. There are no modifications after the update. And I have tested this on two occasions when my KT got bricked ... which I could successfully unbrick , thanks to geekmaster ...

Maybe you could add this to the pastebin, geekmaster

It's about 146 MB in size...

As always, kudos to the original first post !

Last edited by deep; 05-29-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Links updated ! ;)
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #53
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Maybe you could add this to the pastebin, geekmaster It's about 146 MB in size...
The pastebin has been updated. Thanks. Please replace you direct link with a link to the pastebin.

Flashing to 5.1.0 saves people the bother of needing to update the firmware.

Thank you.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #54
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All right folks, Kindle is back!!!
I documented all to make a new noob-user guide as promised!

Right now, it has 5.0.0. I need to know something before updating to 5.1.0:
- I flashed the 5.0.0 kernel and 5.0.0 main partition.
- I flashed mmcblk0p2_ssh-5.1.0 that should be 5.1.0 diag partition+SSH
I see there are also diags_kernel-5.0.0 and mmcblk0p2-kt-5.0.0.img.
As I'm really scared to mess up thing updating, do I need to flash also last two files?

I mean, all the "match partition with kernel" thing....I'm OK with it?

PS A HUGE THANKS TO EVERYBODY, I'LL PROVE IT WASN'T WASTED TIME!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #55
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
All right folks, Kindle is back!!!
I documented all to make a new noob-user guide as promised!

Right now, it has 5.0.0. I need to know something before updating to 5.1.0:
- I flashed the 5.0.0 kernel and 5.0.0 main partition.
- I flashed mmcblk0p2_ssh-5.1.0 that should be 5.1.0 diag partition+SSH
I see there are also diags_kernel-5.0.0 and mmcblk0p2-kt-5.0.0.img.
As I'm really scared to mess up thing updating, do I need to flash also last two files?

I mean, all the "match partition with kernel" thing....I'm OK with it?

PS A HUGE THANKS TO EVERYBODY, I'LL PROVE IT WASN'T WASTED TIME!
You should be okay. Beware that upgrading to 5.1.0 may install a startup script that erases files needed for SSH, as some people reported, although that has not been a problem for me personally.

There seems to be multiple versions of 5.1.0 with different behaviors out in the wild. What was amazon thinking?

@silver18: Please provide a link for your guide, so I can add it to my "simple debricking sticky" first post.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #56
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
You should be okay. Beware that upgrading to 5.1.0 may install a startup script that erases files needed for SSH, as some people reported, although that has not been a problem for me personally.
And that means? Should I backup something before updating?

As regards the guide, I'm far too tired to write it now! I'll send you the link asap (tomorrow?)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #57
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
And that means? Should I backup something before updating?

As regards the guide, I'm far too tired to write it now! I'll send you the link asap (tomorrow?)
You can make a backup copy with ssh command:

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K|gzip>/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img.gz

No rush on the guide. Take your time and do it well.

@knc1: This is just one of many ways to do it. It is how I would do it. I even tested it before posting it (just like I usually do). I am not demanding that anybody do it my way. I am not limiting options. I am not closing peoples minds. I like to think that I am giving more options and opening minds. I like to think that I am providing creative positive stimulation. I like to AVOID side-tracking people into dead-end pedantic discussions about choice of terminology, or other ways of doing what I did, that may not even work on the kindle. I and others appreciate your POSITIVE on-topic contributions, and we would like to see more.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #58
silver18
THE NOOB

My kindle is now full operative!
Thank to everyone! I'm writing down a noob-guide to debricking to help noobs like me!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #59
geekmaster

Quote:
Handsome Bart
Dear GeekMaster:

I've been following the "Select Boot for K4 and Touch" forum about 3 months cause I bricked my Kindle Touch .

I've tried to follow the instructions on the thread to unbrick the device, all in vain. Also, I don´t know anyone who can interpretate the steps for me to effect the procedure.

For all that, I beg you do an "Unbrick Your KT For Dummies".

I hope that you understand my desperation. I´m a med school student who doesn't have much free time and really needs his KT.

I'll always be grateful for your contribution to the ignorant like me.

Hail Master!!!
silver18 is working on a debricking guide for noobs (dummies). I will add a link to it to my simple debricking sticky when I get it. Thanks silver18. We are looking forward to this guide.