Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #46
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I just used this as an example for another Python script, but it does not explicitly say how to open a command window (because this is covered in KindlePID). I suggest making the page stand-alone by adding this step.
Great suggestion! I've made a stand alone page showing how to open the command prompt window on all 3 OS's.

Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac

Thanks wallcraft!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello all,

I have finally got up a page on Mac mobiperl installation. This was needed before I could do the mobi2mobi page. The good news is lit2mobi wasn't working the first time I did this. But, when I re-did it as I did the directions and print screens now lit2mobi even works. I must have skipped something the first time.

Please review and give me comments.

I would love for some Mac users to run through there. The one thing I'm not sure about is the initial config of CPAN... because I couldn't get it to give me the same prompts that I did initially even though I thought I deleted all the config (so I thought) I want to know if when you say [yes] to auto config if it prompts you for which repository URLs to use. If so I want to add that.

Install Mobi2Mobi Mac

Thanks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #48
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hello all,

I have finally got up a page on Mac mobiperl installation. This was needed before I could do the mobi2mobi page. The good news is lit2mobi wasn't working the first time I did this. But, when I re-did it as I did the directions and print screens now lit2mobi even works. I must have skipped something the first time.

I would love for some Mac users to run through there. The one thing I'm not sure about is the initial config of CPAN... because I couldn't get it to give me the same prompts that I did initially even though I thought I deleted all the config (so I thought) I want to know if when you say [yes] to auto config if it prompts you for which repository URLs to use. If so I want to add that.

Install Mobi2Mobi Mac

Thanks.

BOb
I'm not a Mac person but I can see all the work you put in to this. Great job!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #49
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Hello all,

I would love for some Mac users to run through there.

BOb
I’ll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #50
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Daffy4u you're doing a great job! I plan to give my manager's boss the link to your handy work. He just ordered 2 Kindles for his parents for Christmas presents. They are retired and spend most of their time traveling & reading. He's very excited. I think I earned brownie points by letting him take my Kindle home for 1 evening, the next day he came back with a bunch of questions, which I answered, thanks to this board (you all know, I just recently acquired the Kindle). But by letting him take my Kindle overnight, Amazon made 2 sales. His father use to be a programmer, so I wanted to share other options with him so when he gives them the Kindles on Christmas, he can tell them about other options outside of the amazon store for books.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #51
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Daffy4u you're doing a great job! I plan to give my manager's boss the link to your handy work. He just ordered 2 Kindles for his parents for Christmas presents. They are retired and spend most of their time traveling & reading. He's very excited. I think I earned brownie points by letting him take my Kindle home for 1 evening, the next day he came back with a bunch of questions, which I answered, thanks to this board (you all know, I just recently acquired the Kindle). But by letting him take my Kindle overnight, Amazon made 2 sales. His father use to be a programmer, so I wanted to share other options with him so when he gives them the Kindles on Christmas, he can tell them about other options outside of the amazon store for books.

Thanks Lilly! I appreciate your kind words, but it's a group project with Leep and PilotBob. They know way more about this stuff than I do and I've learned a lot from both of them.

You have shown you are much braver than I by lending your Kindle out overnight. I don't think I could do that. I hope the guide is helpful and that he gives you an Amazon gift card for Christmas so you can buy more books! Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #52
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I suggest adding at the very end:

To upgrade to a new version of Mobiperl, copy all its files to your tools folder overwriting the files from the old version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #53
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

To upgrade to a new version of Mobiperl, copy all its files to your tools folder overwriting the files from the old version.
It's a Wiki... go ahead and add it if you want.

BOb
Old 11-16-2008, 01:51 AM   #54
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:

Install Mobi2Mobi Mac

BOb
Yes, it does ask for repositories. I picked a few at random.

I’m using OS X 10.5. I don’t know if that makes any difference, but the installation didn‘t go smoothly.

Where are the .pm files supposed to end up? They don’t get installed in any of my Perl directories. The CPAN installation persisted in trying to get the Palm libs 1.009 from the locations I specified instead of the current ones. Why is that? Can’t I use the ones I’ve already downloaded?

So far, the script will say that it has set a title (but doesn’t), and always fails to change the author name, giving the message:

Setting extended header data: author - Mister
substr outside of string at /Users/miked/ebook_tools/MobiPerl/MobiHeader.pm line 726.

Any suggestions?

I’m using ~/ebook_tools for the directory that contains the mobiperl scripts.

Mike

Last edited by JMikeD; 11-16-2008 at 07:12 AM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #55
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

JMikeD,

I can't comment on the Mac mobiperl install because I don't have a Mac.

When trying to change the book title are you using the following command structure (which is a bit longer for Amazon .azw books)?

mobi2mobi originalFILEname.azw --outfile revisedFILEename.azw --exthtype updatedtitle --exthdata revisedBOOKname

Edit: Oops, you said "author" not "title". Ignore the above for now (you'll need it later).

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-16-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I’m using OS X 10.5. I don’t know if that makes any difference, but the installation didn‘t go smoothly.
Did you incur errors when following the directions? What specifically didn't go smooth?

Quote:
Where are the .pm files supposed to end up? They don’t get installed in any of my Perl directories. The CPAN installation persisted in trying to get the Palm libs 1.009 from the locations I specified instead of the current ones. Why is that? Can’t I use the ones I’ve already downloaded?
You mean the .pm files that are part of mobiperl? Those are to be copied to your ebook_tools folder. The .pm files that come with mobiperl are NOT the Perl modules that need to be installed by CPAN.

Quote:
So far, the script will say that it has set a title (but doesn’t), and always fails to change the author name, giving the message:

Setting extended header data: author - Mister
substr outside of string at /Users/miked/ebook_tools/MobiPerl/MobiHeader.pm line 726.
What command line are you using? (I haven't done this part of the tutorial yet.)

Thanks for trying this out.

BOb
Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I have added this to the Wiki page. Thanks.

BOb
Old 11-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #58
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, it does ask for repositories. I picked a few at random.
Ok, thanks. I have updated the directions with how to handle this prompt.

BOb
Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm not a Mac person but I can see all the work you put in to this. Great job!
"(a bit more complicated than for the PC)"

You had to get that little dig in there... eh?

BOb
Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #60
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
"(a bit more complicated than for the PC)"

You had to get that little dig in there... eh?

BOb
I'll take it out. I really didn't mean to make a dig (or did I ). It was a way of explaining why the Mac section was broken into 2 parts.

Tags
kindle visual guide, kindlefix, kindlepid, mobi2mobi, mobi2mobi gui