troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Metadata insertion in azw3

My usual procedure:

1st) ePub file (starting)
2nd) Kindle Previewer (or kindlegen)
3rd) mobi file (intermediate, disposable)
3rd) KindleUnpack
4th) azw3 (final)

Is there any way to edit or insert metadata like type of document (ebook, personal document) or an ASIN in a azw3 file originated through this conversion route?
I'm on a Mac (High Sierra) and I'd like to be as far as possible from Calibre.

Thanks in advance.
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledMan View Post
Is there any way to edit or insert metadata like type of document (ebook, personal document) or an ASIN in a azw3 file originated through this conversion route?
Shameless plug: You might find my Sigil KindleGen plugin helpful.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
There is a simpler solution. Insert the metdata in the ePub before conversion. That way, the conversion only needs to be done once.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a simpler solution. Insert the metdata in the ePub before conversion. That way, the conversion only needs to be done once.
The OP specifically stated that s/he doesn't want to use Calibre:

Quote:
Old 05-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'll try it, although I coudn't do anything fruitful with Sigil the last time I installed it: problems with my python installation, I suppose.

To be very clear, my final goal is that the azw3 files from the conversion of ePubs can be recognized as BOOK and not as Personal Document. For me, the ideal solution would be something similar to the KFX Output plugin's CLI.

Thank you.
Advert
Old 05-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'll try it, although I coudn't do anything fruitful with Sigil the last time I installed it: problems with my python installation, I suppose.
Make sure to download the latest version.
(It comes with its own Python interpreter.)

The plugin should set the EBOK metadata entry in AZW3 mode.

Last edited by Doitsu; 05-19-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
BTW, my plugin won't set the BOOK metadata entry, but you can use it to run the KFX plugin in command line mode.
KFX Output plugin? If the answer is yes, I have to admit that I didn't try it on azw3. I'll have to look for that other plugin otherwise.

Maybe it's time to ask in the jhowell's KFX Output plugin subforum.

Thank you
Old 05-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The OP specifically stated that s/he doesn't want to use Calibre:
Sigil will work perfectly well to add the metadata to the ePub before the conversion.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sigil will work perfectly well to add the metadata to the ePub before the conversion.
If Sigil can set the type of document as BOOK, I’ll try that way only if I get Sigil & plug-ins function in my system, and will check if the set metadata in the ePub survive the process of conversion to azw3.

Thank you
Old 05-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If Sigil can set the type of document as BOOK, I’ll try that way only if I get Sigil & plug-ins function in my system, and will check if the set metadata in the ePub survive the process of conversion to azw3.

Thank you
That means yet more steps to get to what you want. You have to convert the KF8 to ePub and then exit that and then convert back to KF8. Editing the ePub before you convert works better and less steps.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If Sigil can set the type of document as BOOK [...]
You can add ASIN metadata entries in Sigil, but you can't add EBOK (=book type) metadata entries. However, since the Python library that the KindleGen plugin uses to add ASIN metadata entries also adds EBOK metadata entries by default, you won't have to add EBOK metadata entries for converting EPUBS to AZW3 books, if an ASIN metadata entry is present.

Quote:
Maybe it's time to ask in the jhowell's KFX Output plugin subforum.
jhowell kindly gave me permission to integrate his KFX Output plugin into my plugin. It'll also generate EBOK KFX files by default.
BTW, you could also easily change the KFX Ouput command line parameters by editing the plugin.py file.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #12
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can add ASIN metadata entries in Sigil, but you can't add EBOK (=book type) metadata entries. However, since the Python library that the KindleGen plugin uses to add ASIN metadata entries also adds EBOK metadata entries by default, you won't have to add EBOK metadata entries for converting EPUBS to AZW3 books, if an ASIN metadata entry is present.
I’ve learnt a lot with you this afternoon! Thank you very much! I hope to be successful following your indications, as my previous attempts on the subject editing the ePub’s opf file failed miserably.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Well, I installed Sigil & kindlegen plugin following Doitsu's kind advises and the result after run the plugin was:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/plugin_launchers/python/launcher.py", line 141, in launch
target_script = __import__(script_module)
File "/Users/*****/Library/Application Support/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/KindleGen/plugin.py", line 25, in <module>
from tkinter import Tk, BOTH, StringVar, IntVar, BooleanVar, PhotoImage, messagebox, DISABLED
File "tkinter/__init__.py", line 36, in <module>
ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/lib-dynload/_tkinter.cpython-38-darwin.so, 2): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.6/Tcl
Referenced from: /Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/lib-dynload/_tkinter.cpython-38-darwin.so
Reason: image not found
Error: dlopen(/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/lib-dynload/_tkinter.cpython-38-darwin.so, 2): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.6/Tcl
Referenced from: /Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/lib-dynload/_tkinter.cpython-38-darwin.so
Reason: image not found

What's more, I couldn't find how to customize the plugin. I do not know where to go in the Sigil interface to achieve that.
And I don't know where to go from this point. Any help is very welcome.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, I installed Sigil & kindlegen plugin following Doitsu's kind advises and the result after run the plugin was:
macOS users will need to install the ActiveState TCL package. For more information, see this website.

Quote:
What's more, I couldn't find how to customize the plugin.
The plugin comes with its own GUI, which requires the macOS ActiveState TCL package.

Last edited by Doitsu; 05-20-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #15
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Thank you very much, Doitsu. I’ll try it as soon as I can.