Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
Commercial notice boards and price tags as ereaders

The tiny screens used for price tags are really cheap. We can control them with NFC, Bluetooth and WiFi.

It would probably be unwieldy to use one as an ereader, turning each page via a phone. But maybe that could be fixed?

The screens run in a multitude of sizes. Perhaps constantly pushing page updates via phone volume keys could be a way to get past the price bloat in the ereader market?
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
The tiny screens used for price tags are really cheap. We can control them with NFC, Bluetooth and WiFi.

It would probably be unwieldy to use one as an ereader, turning each page via a phone. But maybe that could be fixed?

The screens run in a multitude of sizes. Perhaps constantly pushing page updates via phone volume keys could be a way to get past the price bloat in the ereader market?
I think I'd buy an e-ink digital picture frame but all of the ones I've seen are regular color lcd.

But I don't think I'd want to juggle my phone as well as a separate screen for reading a book.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a few that update via wifi. It seems doable at home but not it's not portable. Would need to be half price and the price difference isn't that much for bigger screens. For smaller screens the devices are pretty cheap anyway
Old 11-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
baljo
Connoisseur
baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Sony Reader PRS-650, GoodEReader 13.3", Onyx Boox Max2
Don't want to spoil the fun, be aware of the refresh time for certain type of e-ink screens though. I have a Waveshare 7.5" tri-color e-ink screen used as a calendar, the time needed for a full refresh is 16 (yes, sixteen) seconds!
baljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
jago25_98
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by baljo View Post
Don't want to spoil the fun, be aware of the refresh time for certain type of e-ink screens though. I have a Waveshare 7.5" tri-color e-ink screen used as a calendar, the time needed for a full refresh is 16 (yes, sixteen) seconds!
Thanks for the warning!
Advert
Old 11-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #6
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
wait, 16 seconds?

I mean, I guess it's fine for something like a grocery store price tag, but... damn...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:52 AM   #7
baljo
Connoisseur
baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Yes, 16 seconds, sometimes it's an eternity... you can feed the cat, fetch the mail, drink a cup of your favourite liquid and glance at your favourite social media before the refresh is complete... or fall asleep :-)

Edit: But I guess there might be faster displays than this

Last edited by baljo; 11-14-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, 16 seconds, sometimes it's an eternity... you can feed the cat, fetch the mail, drink a cup of your favourite liquid and glance at your favourite social media before the refresh is complete... or fall asleep :-)

Edit: But I guess there might be faster displays than this
Do the specs say that it's 16 seconds? Could there be a software bug or wiring bug?
Old 11-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
baljo
Connoisseur

The specs says it, and I can confirm it myself, at least for this display:
https://www.waveshare.com/product/di...aper-hat-c.htm
Obviously there are different types of displays as e-ink readers refresh fairly quickly.

Edit: changed from .html to .htm

Last edited by baljo; 11-15-2020 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
The specs says it, and I can confirm it myself, at least for this display:
https://www.waveshare.com/product/di...per-hat-c.html
Obviously there are different types of displays as e-ink readers refresh fairly quickly.
This url worked for me. And yep, it's there in the specs. Does your setup remove the power to the display when you're not updating it? I hadn't thought about how eink doesn't need power to display the last image which is great for saving battery power.

https://www.waveshare.com/7.5inch-e-paper-hat-c.htm
Old 11-15-2020, 03:27 AM   #11
baljo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
This url worked for me. And yep, it's there in the specs. Does your setup remove the power to the display when you're not updating it? I hadn't thought about how eink doesn't need power to display the last image which is great for saving battery power.

https://www.waveshare.com/7.5inch-e-paper-hat-c.htm
Thx for pointing out the incorrect link, I've now changed it. As calendar software I'm using this https://github.com/aceisace/Inky-Calendar, am not sure if power is disconnected to the display when not in use, but I'd guess it is. I've configured the rPi to update the display every 20 minutes, mainly needed for the weather forecast part.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Thx for pointing out the incorrect link, I've now changed it. As calendar software I'm using this https://github.com/aceisace/Inky-Calendar, am not sure if power is disconnected to the display when not in use, but I'd guess it is. I've configured the rPi to update the display every 20 minutes, mainly needed for the weather forecast part.
Thanks, that's a nice package. I'm generally all thumbs with hardware but that looks tempting.