Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Story HD Margins

Am I the only one who has a much larger left margin than right margin when reading on the Story HD? It's at least twice as big as the one on the opposite side, and this is true regardless of the margin settings of the ebook.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No, you're not the only one. I have the same problem.

It worked fine on the Basic with firmware 1.13, however the German Wifi (1.24) has it and the US Wifi (1.29) as well. Not sure about "twice as big" though, what margins are you using? I've set Calibre to 10pt margins left+right and 5pt top+bottom. But in the affected firmwares it's like the margin on the sides is fixed, the right margin does not get any bigger even if I set it to 20-30pt, it's simply ignored.

However the main reason to set margins for me were the little page numbers on the right that kept obstructing the text. With the numbers gone (either by my HideNumbers mod or by default in US Wifi 1.29 firmware) it's not a big issue for me.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It might be a bug with how the Story HD ade/epub reader app is addressing the display.

It chews of pixels on the right and displays them instead on the left. This becomes visible when you set paddings and margins to 0 px, and border to 1px solid black.

Instead of showing a black line border on the left, and on the right, it actually shows two black lines on the left, along with fragments of characters that grow too far to the right side of the screen.

Also the overlapping part is displayed in the next pixel row, so one of the lines ends up one pixel below the other.

Screenshot to illustrate the picture I'm getting on my reader attached.

That's how the left margin ends up being bigger than the right one; the right margin is cut off / wraps around and ends up being displayed on the left side instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.png
Views:	524
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	83131  

Last edited by frostschutz; 02-27-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the record, I use a 0.2em margin on both the left and right sides. Interesting to see that it's a wrap-around thing—that's kind of strange, but I guess there have been weirder bugs.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User

Need a volunteer to report it to iriver so it may get fixed sometime

I still think it's only part of the bug though, as it does not seem to accept other margins for me anymore. Unless it's caused by one of my modifications.

I'll see if I can make a test epub later - it's something iriver has to fix
Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

Here's a test epub.
Attached Files
File Type: epub blackwhite.epub (35.4 KB, 459 views)
Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
How exactly do you set your margins?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
How exactly do you set your margins?
You set up the margins inside the EPUB itself in the stylesheet. Some readers let you override a book's settings with your own, but most don't (and sometimes doing so will cause problems if the margins were set for a particular reason rather than just to taste—admitted that isn't usually the case).

Do we still need someone to report this bug? I hadn't really been paying attention, but it doesn't seem like there's been any response since the last time I checked.