Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Touch or Sony PRST1

Hi, I've been reading around for awhile, and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed down my choices to Kindle Touch or Sony PRST1. I currently have a KoboTouch and will be keeping it for awhile. I will wait to make my new e-reader purchase when there's a 'great deal'. But I want to be prepared!
So, here's what I like about the KoboTouch, and my 'wants' in my new ereader. Incidentally, I initally went with the Kobo because I live in Canada, should that make a difference in my future decision? [Kindle a problem because it's US based?]

I use Calibre for my current library maintenance and have all epubs. How difficult would it be to switch everything over to a new ereader, either Kindle or Sony? Would one be easier over the other?

Likes; touch screen to turn page etc, dictionary, clock, book covers, book series in order [had to use Calibre plugin to get that on KoboTouch as well drm removal to read on other devices ie iPod, Blackberry], basic sans serif font and able to change font size

Don't need: browser or wi-fi, I use Calibre for library management, don't really want to be forced to use the ereader software which to me is an unnecessarily forced step?! I'm quite comfortable making my library purchases/changes through my computer via USB.
Purchases, would like the freedom to purchase or download where I please and add them to my library through Calibre.

I thank you for your time and advice.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
There aren't any problems using a Kindle in Canada. I bought mine specifically because I liked the Amazon ecosystem. Since you seem to know your way around DRM and calibre, you can take advantage of that without having a Kindle.

A switch wouldn't be very difficult, calibre will even automatically convert your epubs to mobi for you when you tell it to load them on the Kindle.

Since you already have all your ebooks as epubs, I'd stick with that format and choose the Sony T1. It does have one advantage over Kindle in Canada, access to public library ebooks.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you have a Kobo Touch that supports ePub, it would make sense to go with a T1 given that it too handles ePub and you won't have to convert/fiddle with your ePub to read them with a Kindle. Plus, I happen to think the T1 is quite nice.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I, too, think that it would make the most sense to get a T1, seeing as you already have a library of epub books.

I really enjoy my T1, and I don't know what the situation is like now, but in the past I have found it easier to find Canadian content in epub format than at the Amazon ebook store (I don't have a Kindle, but I use the Kindle app on my iPad). If you like to read Canadian authors this might make a difference to you.

Also, I personally make good use of the many dictionaries included in the T1, and this to me alone is worth the price of the device.

Here is a caveat, though: you can't add fonts to the T1 (as far as I know, at least without rooting the device), like you can add to the Kobo Touch (as I understand), and I don't think that you can add them to the Kindle, either, so you would be losing that feature. I quite like the Kobo Touch myself (my best friend has one), and I think it's a great device; I wouldn't mind picking one up myself if I find one on sale. The library downloads directly from the T1 through wi-fi are a great feature that you would be gaining in purchasing the T1.

Ultimately, though, I think that both the T1 and the Kindle are great devices and you would be happy with either. With the Kindle and a Kobo Touch you would have the best of both worlds, so to speak - the Amazon store and a device that can read epubs, so that might be something to think about, too!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
There aren't any problems using a Kindle in Canada. I bought mine specifically because I liked the Amazon ecosystem. Since you seem to know your way around DRM and calibre, you can take advantage of that without having a Kindle.

A switch wouldn't be very difficult, calibre will even automatically convert your epubs to mobi for you when you tell it to load them on the Kindle.

Since you already have all your ebooks as epubs, I'd stick with that format and choose the Sony T1. It does have one advantage over Kindle in Canada, access to public library ebooks.
The Amazon ecosystem as you put it, does intrigue me. I like the thought of having access to free downloads on a daily basis, or the annual fee feature where you can borrow books. But to be honest, I'm unsure about getting to know a brand new process/system. And from a bit of reading I would definitely need the Kindle apps to use any of those features, correct? A bit intimidataing to someone like me who once I get something new to work, I tend not to mess with it a bunch. I tend to go with the motto 'If it isn't broken, don't fix it'!

But the best point you've made is access to library books. It is something I want to be able to access in the future as libraries' ebook categories [hopefully] grow. Thank you for pointing that out!
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that you have a Kobo Touch that supports ePub, it would make sense to go with a T1 given that it too handles ePub and you won't have to convert/fiddle with your ePub to read them with a Kindle. Plus, I happen to think the T1 is quite nice.
Sounds simple enough. So it seems like it would be a straight library transfer, charge and read. Goodness knows life is difficult enough, I'll take 'simple' anyday! I appreciate your input.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I, too, think that it would make the most sense to get a T1, seeing as you already have a library of epub books.

I really enjoy my T1, and I don't know what the situation is like now, but in the past I have found it easier to find Canadian content in epub format than at the Amazon ebook store (I don't have a Kindle, but I use the Kindle app on my iPad). If you like to read Canadian authors this might make a difference to you.

Also, I personally make good use of the many dictionaries included in the T1, and this to me alone is worth the price of the device.

Here is a caveat, though: you can't add fonts to the T1 (as far as I know, at least without rooting the device), like you can add to the Kobo Touch (as I understand), and I don't think that you can add them to the Kindle, either, so you would be losing that feature. I quite like the Kobo Touch myself (my best friend has one), and I think it's a great device; I wouldn't mind picking one up myself if I find one on sale. The library downloads directly from the T1 through wi-fi are a great feature that you would be gaining in purchasing the T1.

Ultimately, though, I think that both the T1 and the Kindle are great devices and you would be happy with either. With the Kindle and a Kobo Touch you would have the best of both worlds, so to speak - the Amazon store and a device that can read epubs, so that might be something to think about, too!
I do like a good dictionary, so that is a plus for sure! But as for adding fonts, I'm not into that, nor 'rooting', I'm too fearful something will go wrong, and as long as it has a basic sans font I'm fine! I don't mind my Kobo Touch, but in the past couple of months I've had a few problems with it and feel like I have spent more time reading on how to fix those problems than using it to read on!
And as I said earlier, using the library is a function I want to use down the road, so that is definitely a plus also.

I appreciate your taking time to reply and share your advice.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony T1, NSTx2
I can't speak for the Kindle, but I can say that my Sony PRS-T1 has a much better screen contrast than the Nook STs that I own which makes for a much more comfortable read in a wider range of lighting.

Kindle may be as good as the Sony, maybe someone with both could weigh in on that aspect.
frogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
The Amazon ecosystem as you put it, does intrigue me. I like the thought of having access to free downloads on a daily basis, or the annual fee feature where you can borrow books. But to be honest, I'm unsure about getting to know a brand new process/system. And from a bit of reading I would definitely need the Kindle apps to use any of those features, correct? A bit intimidataing to someone like me who once I get something new to work, I tend not to mess with it a bunch. I tend to go with the motto 'If it isn't broken, don't fix it'!
You can't get in on the Amazon Prime lending program, that's only for US customers.

If you had a Kindle you wouldn't have to deal with the Kindle for PC/Mac app, you could do a direct download to your computer to get your ebooks into calibre. If you don't have a Kindle, that's when you need the app to download the ebook to your computer. This is something you might want to play with even now, so that you can get those freebies and deals, since you already have the DRM stripping tools for calibre and it's easy as pie to convert the .azw file Amazon sends you to an epub that you can use on your Kobo.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogi View Post
I can't speak for the Kindle, but I can say that my Sony PRS-T1 has a much better screen contrast than the Nook STs that I own which makes for a much more comfortable read in a wider range of lighting.

Kindle may be as good as the Sony, maybe someone with both could weigh in on that aspect.
I hadn't thought of screen contrast, so thank you for mentioning that. See, I just assumed [yes, I should know by now not to!] that these namebrand ereaders would all have basically the same eink screens!

So thanks to frogi, I guess I need to know if the Kindle and Sony both have screens comparable or better than the Kobo Touch?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
You can't get in on the Amazon Prime lending program, that's only for US customers.

If you had a Kindle you wouldn't have to deal with the Kindle for PC/Mac app, you could do a direct download to your computer to get your ebooks into calibre. If you don't have a Kindle, that's when you need the app to download the ebook to your computer. This is something you might want to play with even now, so that you can get those freebies and deals, since you already have the DRM stripping tools for calibre and it's easy as pie to convert the .azw file Amazon sends you to an epub that you can use on your Kobo.
Synamon, thank you again for your input! I didn't know that the Amazon prime was for US only, that's a shame, and was definitely a big point in favor of the Kindle for me, not now, and I'm glad I posted the thread just for finding that out alone!

And what about default formats; Kindle is mobi ? What is Sony? epub? I've never looked into that!

So that brings me to another question, I've only ever downloaded from Chapters [kobo] or one of the free sites. So I'm wondering how the software and stores for Kindle and Sony compare. Is one easier? better? cheaper?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Synamon, thank you again for your input! I didn't know that the Amazon prime was for US only, that's a shame, and was definitely a big point in favor of the Kindle for me, not now, and I'm glad I posted the thread just for finding that out alone!
You're welcome.

Quote:
And what about default formats; Kindle is mobi ? What is Sony? epub? I've never looked into that!
Yes, Amazon/Kindle is mobi, all the others (Kobo, Sony, Nook) are epub. Usually Adobe epub, which means you unlock them with Adobe Digital Editions, which you should already be familiar with from downloading to your computer from Kobo (unless you've only been downloading directly to the device). Since calibre can convert from epub to mobi and vice versa with a click of the convert icon (once DRM is gone), it's possible to obtain books in either format and put them on the reader of your choice.

Quote:
So that brings me to another question, I've only ever downloaded from Chapters [kobo] or one of the free sites. So I'm wondering how the software and stores for Kindle and Sony compare. Is one easier? better? cheaper?
Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion. Listing from worst to first: the Sony reader store is kinda crappy, Google Play (another place you can buy epubs) is awkward, Barnes & Noble won't sell to Canadians so [language edit], Kobo is the best epub option (and the discount codes keep the prices reasonable), but they all pale in comparison to Amazon. The searches and "other buyers bought this" hints and bestseller lists by genre or price and reviews and deals and freebies and price matching and apps so you can read your ebooks on a million devices are all valuable things Amazon brings to the table, plus their one-click purchase is hassle free.

Last edited by dreams; 04-10-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: [language edit] - moderation
Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
You're welcome.

Yes, Amazon/Kindle is mobi, all the others (Kobo, Sony, Nook) are epub. Usually Adobe epub, which means you unlock them with Adobe Digital Editions, which you should already be familiar with from downloading to your computer from Kobo (unless you've only been downloading directly to the device). Since calibre can convert from epub to mobi and vice versa with a click of the convert icon (once DRM is gone), it's possible to obtain books in either format and put them on the reader of your choice.
Yes, thankfully I've learned how to do this, so that's a plus for me!

Quote:
Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion. Listing from worst to first: the Sony reader store is kinda crappy, Google Play (another place you can buy epubs) is awkward, Barnes & Noble won't sell to Canadians so [language edit], Kobo is the best epub option (and the discount codes keep the prices reasonable), but they all pale in comparison to Amazon. The searches and "other buyers bought this" hints and bestseller lists by genre or price and reviews and deals and freebies and price matching and apps so you can read your ebooks on a million devices are all valuable things Amazon brings to the table, plus their one-click purchase is hassle free.
I appreciate your frankness, especially in regards to Barnes & Noble, I literally LOL.
I definitely appreciate your honesty, so thank you. My only problem with Kobo/pricing, yes, they have offers/coupons, but they don't apply to all books, which quite honestly, is annoying as hell. I understand it has to do with publishers rights, etc. But anyways say I want to buy all of 1 author's books, ie. Anne Rice. Last I checked at kobo, most of them are $10 + each, and the coupons don't apply. Do you have a store you could recommend for purchases like that? I've read about a few, but not sure how reputable, and am hesitant to be giving out credit card info. ie Diesel, books on board.

Also, a quick search shows me I'd have to use Amazon.com, not .ca But I'm getting that you highly recommend Amazons software, so that's something I will strongly consider. And I'm not opposed to buying through them as I've done so in the past, just asking.

I apologize, I understand we've strayed from Kindle vs Sony, but I've wanted to ask about stores/pricing without posting separate thread since I'm sure its been discussed to death, just not by me. And I've been too sidetracked trying to fix my Kobo to read anymore here. Til today. So thank you for indulging our sidebar.

Last edited by dreams; 04-10-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: matched quote - moderation
Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
My only problem with Kobo/pricing, yes, they have offers/coupons, but they don't apply to all books, which quite honestly, is annoying as hell. I understand it has to do with publishers rights, etc. But anyways say I want to buy all of 1 author's books, ie. Anne Rice. Last I checked at kobo, most of them are $10 + each, and the coupons don't apply. Do you have a store you could recommend for purchases like that? I've read about a few, but not sure how reputable, and am hesitant to be giving out credit card info. ie Diesel, books on board.
Yeah, the big publishers set the prices and don't allow discount coupons (for the moment, that might change when they settle their price-fixing case), so you really can't get a deal on those unless the publishers run a sale. Quite a few people on this forum do buy from Diesel, books on board, Baen, Smashwords, Phoenix Picks, Poisoned Pen Press, and a variety of other vendors without difficulty and many of the sites use Paypal so you wouldn't even have to give them your credit card number.

Quote:
Also, a quick search shows me I'd have to use Amazon.com, not .ca But I'm getting that you highly recommend Amazons software, so that's something I will strongly consider. And I'm not opposed to buying through them as I've done so in the past, just asking.
Right. For ebooks, Amazon has basically set up amazon.com as a multi-region interface, instead of having a dedicated website for every country (they do have a few country specific sites, amazon.co.uk for example) and us Canadians don't rate our own website. The amazon.com software magically updates the price and availability based on whatever country you are buying from and in a lot of cases the Canadian prices and availability match that of the US. For instance, we can usually buy the daily deals and Amazon will price match publisher sales for us.

Quote:
I apologize, I understand we've strayed from Kindle vs Sony, but I've wanted to ask about stores/pricing without posting separate thread since I'm sure its been discussed to death, just not by me. And I've been too sidetracked trying to fix my Kobo to read anymore here. Til today. So thank you for indulging our sidebar.
It's your thread, indulge yourself. Where to buy the ebooks is at least as important as what to read them on.

Last edited by Synamon; 04-09-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony T1, NSTx2
If you don't mind paying a (usually small) fee, you could use a prepaid credit card to protect you financially.

I typically look for bundle deals for prolific writers and series. Calibre has a search feature across a ton of ebook vendors. Not a great search feature, but passable
frogi is offline   Reply With Quote