Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Tenkian
Enthusiast
Tenkian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Noooooooooooooo

After 1 month and very happy with my reader, it's broken!

Switched it on today and all I get are black lines on the screen. Tried a soft and hard reset and its not working still

Tried charging it, no use.

Gutted.

Anyone know how good B&H Photo Video are for returns?
Tenkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ouch, that stinks, Tenkian.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If it's under warranty with Sony, and not caused by mishandling it (such as breaking the screen with pressure), I'm sure you can send it straight to them for repairs.

Hmm.. How long is the Sony standard warranty on a Reader anway?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I hope for you that being in the UK won't be too much of a hasle. And that you can still use the warranty! That is my main concern about being an abroad posessor of the device. I'm happy I have a rigid box to store it into.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
If it's under warranty with Sony, and not caused by mishandling it (such as breaking the screen with pressure), I'm sure you can send it straight to them for repairs.

Hmm.. How long is the Sony standard warranty on a Reader anway?
Hope this helps.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PRS500_Warranty.pdf
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just added that link to the wiki -- ought to have been added a while ago (D'oh!). Thanks, Karen!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
you're welcome. I was trying to just copy the stuff but I guess with .pdf stuff you can't so went back and retrieved the link. I don't like .pdf LOL.........
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Anh, PDF has it's uses, but agree in that I don't like the way folks seem to think that PDF is the solution to everything. Probably a case of hammer syndrome: when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
And a hammer and nail is never the solution for an eink screen.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Very astutely put, RWood. Very astute indeed.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:34 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So, what is a solution for a situation like that?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Get more tools, of course!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To make space and reduce clutter, I have started giving away paper versions of ebooks I now have; since I got the reader.

I know the ILiad had a...(hate to say this) failure rate, and that the reader has one also, but things will get better. Objects can always be fixed.

Remembering that eink is in it's infancy keeps my hopes up.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I mean what is a solution for Tenkian's situation...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Repairs, obviously. Finding a good soul, friend, family or connection in the States and have him be a contact to Sony is the only possible way.
How did you purchase your reader Tenkian?