Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Did not get my Kindle DXG today

Unfortunately, UPS messed up and I did not get my Kindle DXG today. Tuesday is the new delivery date. Even though I raised hell about not getting it today, there is nothing that can be done about it. I spoke to 5 different people at UPS and there is nothing that can be done. The package will be sitting in their warehouse for the next 3 days.

Anyways, not all bad news. I got my Kindle 2 today (used, paid $75). The item is in mint condition. It looks like new. I just opened it up and I am looking at the system board. I see it is using a Freescale CPU. We buy that exact same model CPU at work for $5.00 US so I am familiar with it. I will be doing a lot of hacking on it this weekend. I will be traveling next week and I won't be able to do much for about 10 days so I want to get a head start this weekend. I want to look at the possibility of replacing this chip with a faster one. I have a whole set of tools at work including a micro soldering iron. I am tired tonight but I will be looking at this in detail tomorrow. I will also be looking at other possibilities such as replacing the flash chip with a higher capacity one. I will do hardware first then focus on the software aspect.

I have been spending some time on this tonight while trying to get over the disappointment of not having received the Kindle DXG today.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
too bad you did not get your DXG.
As for the rest, it sounds like fun.

Let us know of your proress.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

I made some progress. I have removed the Samsung 2 GB NAND from the Kindle 2. I had to drive to work and do it in the lab there. I needed 4 different tools to be able to do it. The total time to remove the chip was 1 hour, 47 minutes without any damage to the Kindle 2. I searched our catalog here at work and I see there might be a compatible NAND (8 GB) made by Samsung (Part KMCMG0000M-B998). According to our database here at work, this 8 GB KMCMG0000M-B998 is included in a consumer device known as the flip mino HD. I am not familiar with this device but it appears to be a video camera. I will do a search online later when I have more time. I just sent a request to our technical supplies department to order 3 of these Samsung flash chips. I don't know what the availability of these chips are. I will let our supplies team figure it out. I will ask my boss to approve it quickly if the cost is not too high.

I will post details in a separate thread of any additional progress.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
That's pretty cool to have the skill to do things like this, but I hope you're not planning to dissect your new Graphite. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
zetareticuli
Addict

It is really not that difficult if you have the right tools. I will probably not do this to the Graphite right now. As the device nears the end of its life and new and improved models come out, I will definitely do it to help extend its useful life.
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict

Guys, I will create a separate thread later on with details on how to do all this but replacing the Samsung storage on the Kindle 2 with a higher capacity one is definitely possible. I am holding in my hands a Samsung 8 GB NAND that was originally inside a Palm Pre. I have not done it yet but I can see that I can just put this right back in the Kindle 2.

I can now get the Kindle 2 from 2 GB to 8 GB. Let's see how the process of soldering this goes. Now, it is just a matter of finding the active pads. Fortunately, the 29 active pads are shown here http://www.samsung.com/global/busine..._MoviNAND.html. Also, notice how there are larger capacity NAND up to 32 GB there. In theory, you can even install the 32 GB one depending on the size and contact connector. Since I don't think it's worth doing this for the Kindle, I am not even going to considering anything higher than 8 GB (because of the cost factor), unless, of course, I could find one for free.

I warn you guys that this project requires at least some basic BGA soldering skills as well as the tools required. However, I can almost guarantee that most technically inclined people could do this if they put the required time and effort. There are many BGA soldering tutorials on YouTube.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
heheheh and people say that I am obsessive.

It sounds like you are having a good time. Enjoy your experiments.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
The big question will be whether the OS can recognized the extra capacity.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
zetareticuli
Addict

I really haven't thought that far ahead. I will find out after I put the firmware back in there. I don't see why it wouldn't recognize the new storage but there is no way to be sure until it's all done.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
joeman
joeman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sounds really cool ! I wish they'd offer SD/CF for the DXG, it's almost insane they didn't do that. Anyway, i'm waiting for mine, just ordered it and it'll take 3 to 5 weeks as an international customers. Sux to wait that long but gives me time to start sorting books which i'd like to put on it and other stuff

Btw, it might be important to think of the battery drain when using larger capacity chips and what all the extra power needed could influence other stuff. Just guessing here but i hope you keep us posted !
joeman is offline   Reply With Quote