Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
THE MAN WITH THE IRON-ON BADGE - Acclaimed Crime Novel - $2.99

THE MAN WITH THE IRON-ON BADGE
- This book was published several years ago and scored the best reviews of my career. It was also nominated for the Best Novel award by the Private Eye Writers of America.

Despite all of that acclaim, we were never able to interest publishers in a paperback edition...so now I've made it available for $2.99 on the Kindle, Nook, and iPad... and in multiple e-book formats on Smashwords.

"As dark and twisted as anything Hammett or Chandler ever dreamed up [...] leaving Travis McGee in the dust." Kirkus, Starred Review

"Approaching the level of Lawrence Block is no mean feat, but Goldberg succeeds with this engaging PI novel." Publishers Weekly

Harvey Mapes is a 26-year-old security guard who spends his nights in a guard shack outside a gated community in Southern California, reading detective novels, watching reruns, and waiting for his life to finally start… which happens when Cyril Parkus, one of the wealthy residents, asks Harvey to follow his beautiful wife Lauren.

The lowly security guard jumps at the opportunity to fulfill his private eye fantasies and use everything he’s learned from Spenser, Magnum, and Mannix. But things don’t exactly go according to the books…or the reruns. As Harvey fumbles and stumbles through his first investigation, he discovers that the differences between fiction and reality can be deadly.

With the help of his mortgage broker neighbor and occasional lover Carol, Harvey uncovers a blackmail plot that takes a sudden and unexpectedly tragic turn…plunging him into a world of violence, deception and murder… and forcing him to discover what it really takes to be a private eye.

“A wonderfully fresh voice in the mystery genre, Goldberg will delight fans of Janet Evanovich and Robert Crais,” - Rick Riordan, author of "Percy Jackson & the Olympians"

"Lee Goldberg bravely marches into territory already staked out by some fierce
competition -- Donald Westlake, Lawrence Block, the early Harlan Coben -- and comes out virtually unscathed." The Chicago Tribune

"Goldberg has a knack for combining just the right amount of humor and realism with his obvious love for the PI genre and his own smart ass sensibilities. THE MAN WITH THE IRON ON BADGE is a terrific read. Goldberg is the real deal and should be on everyone’s must read list." Crimespree Magazine
LeeGoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm starting to regret having suggested this section. It's dangerous. Not only did I just buy this book, but I couldn't pass up the unsold TV pilots, either (just for sheer weirdness value).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

I hope you enjoy them!

Lee
Old 07-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I'm starting to regret having suggested this section. It's dangerous. Not only did I just buy this book, but I couldn't pass up the unsold TV pilots, either (just for sheer weirdness value).
Ditto.

But instead of weird TV I got sucked into the Brett Macklin and Charlie Willis books. Three Ways to Die sounded interesting but I thought $2.99 was a lot for 16K words.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Marcy,

Thank you so much for getting sucked in. I can appreciate your hesitancy about purchasing THREE WAYS TO DIE...but $2.99 is the minimum price an author can charge and get the 70% royalty. As a result, I have lost some sales on the title but my income on it has more than doubled.

Lee
Old 07-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeGoldberg View Post
Marcy,

Thank you so much for getting sucked in. I can appreciate your hesitancy about purchasing THREE WAYS TO DIE...but $2.99 is the minimum price an author can charge and get the 70% royalty. As a result, I have lost some sales on the title but my income on it has more than doubled.

Lee
Is this true for Smashwords? I thought that was for amazon only, but I'm not an author so really don't know. If so, how about a coupon for Smashwords...would that still net you the 70%?

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

The reason I raised the price to $2.99 at Smashwords is because Amazon will lower the price to meet the lowest price of the competition. Smashwords doesn't bring me anywhere near the sales that Amazon does...so I didn't want to screw myself.

Lee
Old 07-19-2010, 03:25 AM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Just grabbed a copy from Smashwords - thanks!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Genu-winely enjoyable, Lee! Many thanks. What title of yours should I read next?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Clint,
If you liked The Man with the Iron-On Badge, you might enjoy The Walk or My Gun Has Bullets.

Lee
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #11
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... you might enjoy The Walk or My Gun Has Bullets ...

Just grabbed 'em both from Smashwords.com - thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:32 AM   #12
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... you might enjoy The Walk or My Gun Has Bullets ...

Just grabbed 'em both from Smashwords.com - thanks!
Thank you, clint! I hope you enjoy them.

Lee
Old 08-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm about a quarter of the way through ... Harvey is something else! (What else I'm not sure, but definitely something else) I've been alternating between wincing, cheering, and saying "Oh, Harvey Mapes, no!" (in the elevator, all three at once) He's just so ... Harvey. I'm fond of the same TV shows that hapless Harvey is, and of hard-boiled P.I. stories, so I'm just loving the collision between fantasy and reality as it plays out on Harvey's aching ribs.

Hmmm ... y'know, this book might make a great TV pilot!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

I have been trying to sell the show for years... and have pitched it all over town. I also wrote a script based on the book. And although the script hasn't sold, it's the writing sample that has gotten me several other assignments.

BTW, there's an "radio play" version of the book that was produced by the Firesign Theatre a couple of years ago that should be available soon.

Lee