Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Retaining Series Information when Converting?

Hi,

I have converted some books using calibre and they all convert fine but the converted book seems to loose any series information I put in the Metadata? I love the series information you can put in the Metadata but its a pain when it all disapears when you do a convert on the book. Is this supposed to happen or am i doing something wrong when converting?
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
Hmmm...AFAIK, the converted book belongs to the original book's record and hence all the metadata is common. Perhaps I have misunderstood your query.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Hi,

I have converted some books using calibre and they all convert fine but the converted book seems to loose any series information I put in the Metadata? I love the series information you can put in the Metadata but its a pain when it all disapears when you do a convert on the book. Is this supposed to happen or am i doing something wrong when converting?
In Calibre the Series metadata should still be there but there are many readers that don't show the series # just the series tag (Sony 505).

I handle this by checking the option Insert the book metadata at the start of the book under "Structure Detection" when converting a book.

This way the first page after the cover has the metadata and at the top it lists the series and the series #. This reassures me that I am in the correct book. I attached a sample of the page that is inserted. You can see that the page includes the title, Series, series#, rating, tags, summary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-1-31_0.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	44672  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:53 AM   #4
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, think I was a bit tired last night when i wrote my post lol as I didn't explain myself very well. What happens is say I have an EPUB book and I setup all the metadata and then convert it to lrf. When I add the lrf book to calibre and then look at the meta data all of the series information has gone, but all the other metadata is there??

I will have a play around tonight and see if i can solve it.

Thanks dwanthny thats a handy feature I hadn't found so will make sure I tick that option in the future.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think you will find that LRF does not have a defined way of storing Series data. Anytime you convert to a new format the metadata will be restricted to the types supported by that format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert